Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Auto Accident Experience in the DR

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Re: Auto Accident Experience in the DR

90,000 peso deductible? That's 54 TLN's and a couple of street rat blow jobs.

Thanks for the heads up.

TAXI!!!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 893 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dijinn View Post
    My very first time I rented a car in Puerto Plata, I rented from Hertz. ..... For a Chevy Cobalt with insurance, I was quoted online, roughly $400.00 for a week. Regular pricing on one without all the insurance was roughly $250.00 for the week.

Once I got down there at the Hertz counter waiting to pick up the car, The rate "miraculously" went up to over $500.00 for the week. .... I walked away from the counter and ended up at Adventure-Rent-A-Car and have been renting cars from ever since.. although no longer now.

When I returned to the States from that trip, I called Hertz and asked about what the extra $100+ charge was. They told me that all international locations are franchised and sometimes there are additional/unforeseen surcharges. And I'm guessing since I ultimately, didn't rent from them, they really didn't care to follow up with the discrepancy in pricing.

- J.
    Sorry about your bad experience but glad you and the other people are unhurt. The Bad/weird thing about the international rental care franchise thing is that in a good many countries the business is only buying the right to use the name and infrastructure. They do not have to honor the US/Canadian price you get off the internet just because of what you mentioned; what ever fees, taxes, or service charges that exist in the country you travel to. Avis, Hertz etc. they are all in the same boat. In my experience the only time you get the actual cost is when you call the international location direct and ask, or if you deal with an in country Dominican car rental website.
    Lecciones de la vida:

Si le das la mano te cojen el brazo entero
    Mas jala tiene un pelo de toto, que una junta de bueyes
    El día que la mierda tenga algún valor, los pobres nacerán sin culo
    Si la vida te da la espalda... Tócale el culo
    Amore de lejos, amor de pendejos

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Corrado For This Useful Post:

Thanks

FUCK IT

I'm taking the $400 from a rental car and taking taxis and publicos. Probably come out with enough left over for a couple of TLN's

I guess I'll get that new pair of tennies before I go down too.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bug Boy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 2,115 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Incogneg View Post
    Djinn, first of all sorry about your experience man, but Cheeno is right. You can't purchase the fact that you, or anyone in the other car was not hurt! so you are lucky. Also the fact that you HAD the cheddar also makes you fortunate.

Now in the case of companies, on the board, many guys have posted that I think Alamo is a good company to rent with, because they don't have additional fees (if my memory serves me correct).

As far as coverage is concerned I ALWAYS decline, why? Because I use my Amex Gold card. I had an incident last time I rented a car there (got caught in a Flood)... I was able to hustle the rental company and get out of dodge, BUT Amex Gold was more than willing to get on the job for me, and it was no problem, they were even apologizing to me on the phone for my experience. They cover collisions or 'natural disasters' or anything.

I would really suggest to all of us that travel a lot to take our own coverage into our own hands. These car rental companies are very shady, and rent us cars that have damaged historys. It is imporant that we don't leave our coverage up to these guys at any time.

If you travel a lot, make the investment and upgrade the kind of coverage you use. And also in the event you've been ripped off, Amex has no problem stopping payments (Another reason why many places in DR would rather take another card over your Amex)

Incogneg...
    Incogneg,

I have also research the credit card coverage and use my Amex gold when renting. I also have the $20 charge per rental to cover the car tha Amex charges. The problem with this may come up when the accident actually happens.

What if everyone refuses payment from Amex in the crisis? Of course the owners of the 2nd vehicle dont take Amex. So the person is out of pocket at least 90k before the additional insurance kicks in.

Then, we have to hope the car company we rented from will honor their agreement and accept payment from Amex. However, if they demand payment in cash at that moment the Amex holder is screwed.....

It's great to wave a Amex gold card around but if no one will accept it then it becomes as useful as used toilet tissue. And their is nothing Amex can do to help you, me or anyone else. Of course if the rental company honors the card then we can at least let them charge whatever they want on the Amex and let Amex sort it out afterwards. That would at least resolve the rental car portion.

I don't think Amex covers the 2nd party car (does anyone know?). And from Dijinn's post (assuming I understood it). the 2nd party insurance kicks in after you have paid 90k pesos. Which could have someone fucked if they had to pay it in cash at a moments notice. Especially, if they are threatening you with jail until you come up with the funds...

Does anyone know if any other rental companies additonal insurance covers the 2nd party's car 100% without a deductible?

Damn, that shit is scary...... I am glad it all worked out for you dijinn.
    Retired in 2009. **sniff***

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moshy2k For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts

GET INSURANCE:::::::::::::

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,045 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moshy2k View Post
    Incogneg,

I have also research the credit card coverage and use my Amex gold when renting. I also have the $20 charge per rental to cover the car tha Amex charges. The problem with this may come up when the accident actually happens.

What if everyone refuses payment from Amex in the crisis? Of course the owners of the 2nd vehicle dont take Amex. So the person is out of pocket at least 90k before the additional insurance kicks in.

Then, we have to hope the car company we rented from will honor their agreement and accept payment from Amex. However, if they demand payment in cash at that moment the Amex holder is screwed.....

It's great to wave a Amex gold card around but if no one will accept it then it becomes as useful as used toilet tissue. And their is nothing Amex can do to help you, me or anyone else. Of course if the rental company honors the card then we can at least let them charge whatever they want on the Amex and let Amex sort it out afterwards. That would at least resolve the rental car portion.

I don't think Amex covers the 2nd party car (does anyone know?). And from Dijinn's post (assuming I understood it). the 2nd party insurance kicks in after you have paid 90k pesos. Which could have someone fucked if they had to pay it in cash at a moments notice. Especially, if they are threatening you with jail until you come up with the funds...

Does anyone know if any other rental companies additonal insurance covers the 2nd party's car 100% without a deductible?

Damn, that shit is scary...... I am glad it all worked out for you dijinn.
    I think the premium insurance covers just about everything. That's why I signed up.

You only need to pay for the rental car with the card and that will be on your contract beforehand.

AMEX can't deny your claim because you pay anything other than the rental bill with the card, think about it. What property damage (all private parties) could or would take AMEX?

If you use an international franchise, they all accept AMEX. Some mom and pop shop may not, though.

Deal with a known company, and take enough money to at least pay for some medical bills or property damage.

Another credit card, or an ATM card wouldn't hurt, either.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ElPlomero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ElPlomero View Post
    I think the premium insurance covers just about everything. That's why I signed up.

You only need to pay for the rental car with the card and that will be on your contract beforehand.

AMEX can't deny your claim because you pay anything other than the rental bill with the card, think about it. What property damage (all private parties) could or would take AMEX?

If you use an international franchise, they all accept AMEX. Some mom and pop shop may not, though.

Deal with a known company, and take enough money to at least pay for some medical bills or property damage.

Another credit card, or an ATM card wouldn't hurt, either.

ElP,

Good point about dealing with a reputable insurance company.

And did the additional insurance reimburse you or did the rental company cover the other car? And which car rental spot in POP do you use?

Thanks

ElP,

And did the additional insurance reimburse you or did the rental company cover the other car? And which car rental spot in POP do you use?
    Cost me $1800 and $100 to a mafiaso and RD1000 to the Colonelnat the Sosua cop shop. I was held 3 days before i could leave the island. I had an expitred licence when i rented the Jeepeta but it only mattereedthat i had nooinsurance,

15. The Following User Says Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

ElP,

Actually, every time I've been involved with a rental car, one of my traveling buddies have actually done the renting. They always seem to go before I do and leave after I do. I just contribute my share.

And... I meant a reputable rental agent, not insurance co..

My guys seem to use Europecar or Alamo, as far as I remember. You have to check rates because they all use a different algorithm for rate calculation and one time a certain company will be cheaper and another time, another company will be.

I think that, as long as it's a known international co., they would all be about the same.

I'd go with the best rate.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ElPlomero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

ElP,

Fortunately, I've never been in an accident in The DR.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guttaman View Post
    Cost me $1800 and $100 to a mafiaso and RD1000 to the Colonelnat the Sosua cop shop. I was held 3 days before i could leave the island. I had an expitred licence when i rented the Jeepeta but it only mattereedthat i had nooinsurance,
    Ouch,

So we still need to determine if any additional insurance would cover a person 100%. And would we pay and get reimbursed?

1. I believe the Amex will cover the car I rent.
    2. What could I get to cover the other car 100% or will I have to put out cash and work to get money back. Or pay the deductible.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to moshy2k For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ouch,

So we still need to determine if any additional insurance would cover a person 100%. And would we pay and get reimbursed?

1. I believe the Amex will cover the car I rent.
    2. What could I get to cover the other car 100% or will I have to put out cash and work to get money back. Or pay the deductible.
    As far as I can tell, Dominican Law is set up to protect the poor Dominican that the nasty gringo screwed up. Even if we would consider the accident to be the other guy's fault (like he hit you), you will be on the hook.

As I understand it, the way it works is that they will not release you until you satisfy the demands of the local. That usually means that you pay for everything.

God help you if there's personal injury involved. If there is, you will need to settle up with the hospital or pay the party or party's representative to settle.

The same goes for their car, only it's a body shop instead of a hospital.

As for the rental car, you will need to pay out of pocket for anything covered by AMEX etc., and anything under the deductible. (90,000dop for the other guy who posted)

As long as you have receipts, AMEX is supposed to reimburse you for anything out of pocket, up to the maximums afterward.

Better would be to charge anything you can on the card. It would probably make things more orderly.

Theoretically, you can't buy enough insurance to cover yourself 100%. Every policy has limits and conditions. No one policy can cover everything without limit and have no disqualifiers. I think the AMEX premium plan comes close, though.

Just don't forget, with AMEX, if the car has any aftermarket equipment (including a radio), the insurance is void and you have nothing.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ElPlomero For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Gonna crash. Willtell later

Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 774 Posts

It's good to have a car in the DR. It gives you many options but it comes with many problems as well. I have rented one on many occasions and I came to consider it an anchor in many ways. First off is the accident possibility which is the subject of this thread. In Santo Domingo the traffic sucks so that's another. Then, when you park you worry about getting sideswiped or hit by another vehicle. I had my parked car scraped by a truck. There was no dent but I had to pay a guy to rub out the marks. Also when you park there seems to always be a self proclaimed "parking attendant" with his hand out who says he will keep an eye on your car. It's a little like extortion because if you don't give him 20 pesos some of them look like they'd fuck up your car. Then there's all the other guys who want to wash your car. Then there's the cops who pull you over and demand money in lieu of arrest. That scam happened to me once. For the most part in Santo Domingo you can get around by walking or taxis and that's what I do now. I always have the taxi drivers take me right to the Casas. (Just kidding Cheeno) I would only rent a car if I was going to travel a great distance.
    Last edited by Drjetman; 04-06-2008 at 08:48 AM.
    SouthCoast

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drjetman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ElPlomero View Post
    As far as I can tell, Dominican Law is set up to protect the poor Dominican that the nasty gringo screwed up. Even if we would consider the accident to be the other guy's fault (like he hit you), you will be on the hook.

As I understand it, the way it works is that they will not release you until you satisfy the demands of the local. That usually means that you pay for everything.

God help you if there's personal injury involved. If there is, you will need to settle up with the hospital or pay the party or party's representative to settle.

The same goes for their car, only it's a body shop instead of a hospital.

As for the rental car, you will need to pay out of pocket for anything covered by AMEX etc., and anything under the deductible. (90,000dop for the other guy who posted)

As long as you have receipts, AMEX is supposed to reimburse you for anything out of pocket, up to the maximums afterward.

Better would be to charge anything you can on the card. It would probably make things more orderly.

Theoretically, you can't buy enough insurance to cover yourself 100%. Every policy has limits and conditions. No one policy can cover everything without limit and have no disqualifiers. I think the AMEX premium plan comes close, though.

Just don't forget, with AMEX, if the car has any aftermarket equipment (including a radio), the insurance is void and you have nothing.
    Ain't that the truth!!
    Your fault or theirs, if there is personal injury involved you will go to jail (for your protection and to ensure you don't do a runner), you will go to court, you will have an "impediamenta de salida " imposed on you, you will settle with the other party, you will pay, you will then go back to court to have the agreement made official and the restrictions imposed lifted.

This is the procedure.

Did that last year and it wasn't pleasant, thankfully my accident was with a gringa but it still cost me over US$6K. I was told by my lawyer that a Dominican would get 5 times as much.

So it seems to me the best option for the guys that visit and want to get around should just hire a driver and car or take taxis.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 860 Posts

ElP,

Not sure about 2nd party insurance, but Amex was more than willing to cover everything for my car. Haven't had any problems with Rentin with Amex... A lot of these car agencies pre-charge your card anyway, so they have no problem putting the deal on your card...

I will look into that however at some point... I will still recommend Amex gold, I have all the bells and whistles with the extended travel coverage, e.t.c... But good point... will look into their policy with second party coverage...

I was initially worried, and almost forgot all about my Amex card.... but things worked out fine... Even relaxed enough to hit some pussy on my way out the door...

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Inconego For This Useful Post:

Thanks

American Express® Rewards Plus Gold Card > Benefits of the Rewards Plus Gold Card > Car Rental Loss and Damage InsuranceDecline the collision damage waiverDid someone hit your rental car? Not to worry with the Car Rental Loss & Damage Insurance Plan getNextFootNoteIndex(); document.write('' + footNoteIndex + ''); 1.

• Use your Card - When you are the primary renter,
      simply use your eligible Card to reserve and pay
      for your auto rental.
    • Say "No Thanks" - Decline the collision damage
      waiver (CDW) or similar option when you are reserving and picking up your car from the Commercial Car Rental Company.
    • Enjoy the Ride - The Car Rental Loss and Damage
      Insurance Plan provides coverage against theft of or
      damage to most rental vehicles. Coverage applies for the first 30 days, and is in excess to your other sources of insurance.
    3. What is covered? Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance reimburses a Cardmember for payments for damage to or theft of a Rental Auto that the Cardmember is required to make. The Plan provides secondary coverage. No coverage is provided for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Italy, Israel, Jamaica and New Zealand. In addition, the Plan does not cover liability or another type of loss. Terms and Conditions apply.

Hmmm... So Moshy, seems you may be right... Didn't realize there was NO liability insurance... Unless i'm interpreting this wrong, I guess that's the case...

I do think i'm signed up for the premium coerage, so i'll double check that too...

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Inconego For This Useful Post:

Thanks

For guys with families, or want to OD on your coverage... you can use premium...

Get Premium Car Rental Protection without the premium price. With up to $100,000 of insurance coverage, this Plan helps protect you from damages and theft when you rent a car from a Rental Company. Unlike insurance from car rental companies, you pay a flat rate when you rent an eligible rental vehicle. And since this is primary insurance for theft and damage to your rented vehicle, you won't have to dip into your own insurance first (which could lead to higher personal rates), or pay a deductible.•Coverage is activated when you use your enrolled Card to reserve and pay for the Rental Auto.•Coverage is for you and your Passengers.•Up to $100,000 for theft of or damage to the rental car.•Up to $100,000 for Accidental Death or Dismemberment (up to $10,000 for a Passenger). For California Residents, up to $250,000 for Accidental Death or Dismemberment for the Cardmember and each Passenger.•Up to $15,000 per person for medical expenses.•Up to $5,000 per person for theft of personal property.•Check your claim status online.•Certain limitations and restrictions apply.Depending on the coverage level that you choose, a premium of either $19.95 or $24.95 per rental ($15.95 or $17.95 for California Residents) will be charged to your American Express Card until your enrollment is terminated. Coverage is for up to 42 consecutive days (up to 30 consecutive days for Washington Cardmembers).See details about coverage, benefits, and exceptions.Premium Car Rental Protection is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, DePere, WI. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0610 and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the Policy.When identifying insurance products that may be of interest to you, American Express may act on behalf of the insurance company and receive compensation that may vary by company and product. American Express may also receive additional financial benefit when AMEX Assurance Company or another American Express entity acts as the insurer or reinsurer for these products.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inconego For This Useful Post:

Thanks

After reading the details, although Premium coverage from Amex increases the benefits of their covererage, there is NO liability for the other driver... hmm...

So bottom line, an accident in DR is gonna cost you if you hit someone else...

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inconego For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When I started planning on renting a car in the back of my mind I suspected it might not be such a wise decision but I let my judgement get clouded by the thought of having the freedom to roam around the North coast at will. I'm glad this info was posted now.

FOR ME, IT JUST ISN'T WORTH THE POTENTIAL HASSLES!!!

TAXI!!

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bug Boy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information