Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Auto Accident Experience in the DR

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Re: Auto Accident Experience in the DR

Quote Originally Posted by ElPlomero View Post
    I don't think that will work too well.

The person who gets hit is not going to sign off just because you tell him you have insurance.

You will still need to pay and the insurance company, after they investigate for fraud, will repay you.

You may not have to pay for the rental car, if you have their insurance, but if it's through anyone other than them, you'll probably have to put it on your credit card.

The bottom line is, if you can't afford to spend a month there working it out, don't rent a car.
    What post said this???

Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,045 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    What post said this???
    I'm talking about the proposed liability insurance.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

I'm talking about the proposed liability insurance.
    Yeah, true and false.

There have been mongers with liability who have gotten into accidents, where the 3rd party car was damaged through the monger's fault, had no problems and no money exchanged/no reimbursement deal. But i'm sure it was 1pm and the monger was able to call the rental office and an agent actually drove to the site of the accident with paperwork and spoke to the Police.

And there have been other similar situations that went the opposite way, credit card, jail, etc!

I guess one way to deal with this is just not rent a car. But for the rest of us who will continue to rent, the important question is what to do in case of an accident.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Yeah, true and false.

There have been mongers with liability who have gotten into accidents, where the 3rd party car was damaged through the monger's fault, had no problems and no money exchanged/no reimbursement deal. But i'm sure it was 1pm and the monger was able to call the rental office and an agent actually drove to the site of the accident with paperwork and spoke to the Police.

And there have been other similar situations that went the opposite way, credit card, jail, etc!

I suppose my statement still applies then. If you can't afford to stay there a month waiting for the worst case scenario to be resolved, don't rent a car.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElPlomero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

I'll continue to rent

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to continentalmike For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just rented a suv so my travel could take me around.
    There was not and insuraince option given. On the back of the form it said the car company carried the insura nce. one disclaimer. Driver must not have had alcohol in the past 24 hours.

I would not drive in the DR . Common for two lane highways to be used as a three lane PLUS the motorcycles on each side of the road.

It is common for your normal US auto insurance not to cover outside of the US...just like Medical insurance.

many of the car rental agencies do not accept many credit cards.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 405 Posts

The DR laws set it up so it is worth just driving away from an accident if you can. Let's see,
    First: if you drive away from an accident there and get caught you will get sent to jail and have to pay off the other party to get out.
    Second: If you stay after the accident and wait for police to clear things up you will get sent to jail and have to pay off the other party to get out.
    Third: You get into an accident, drive away and don't get caught, don't go to jail, and just have to pay to get your rental car fixed.

Wow, I wonder which choice sounds the best

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajax718 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 405 Posts

Dijinn, thank you for being honest enought to tell exactly how you got into the accident. You said at the time of the accident you were driving 125MPH down a hill and normally drive so fast from Puerta Plata to Santo Domingo in 2 1/2 hours when that trip driving normally take 4 hours???????

For all those guys on this thread hollering how this story reaffirms why they don't drive in DR because of many different reasons: Dominicans are crazy drivers, roads are bad, lights of vehicles tend to be out , etc. Lets clear this all up. No matter what country you are driving in, if you are driving 125 MPH in a area where the speed limit is half that, you are more than likely going to have an accident.

I have rented cars many times in DR, driven around all over the island, and have never got into an accident. I will continue doing so. Just always drive carefully and your odds of getting in an accident will go down

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ajax718 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

i rent a vehicle when i am on holidays because i want the freedom to move around when i want where i want and for what i want.

other than blowing out a couple of marcos tires i have never had a problem in any country

i enjoy driving and will continue to rent

i have a rental for two weeks starting this saturday when kevy and i hit cuba and will put on over 4,000 kms while visiting several cities coast to coast end to end

renting has its risk just like every pleasure in life does so only gamble what you can afford to loose
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    i rent a vehicle when i am on holidays because i want the freedom to move around when i want where i want and for what i want.

other than blowing out a couple of marcos tires i have never had a problem in any country

i enjoy driving and will continue to rent

i have a rental for two weeks starting this saturday when kevy and i hit cuba and will put on over 4,000 kms while visiting several cities coast to coast end to end

renting has its risk just like every pleasure in life does so only gamble what you can afford to loose

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. DO what makes you happy.

Just be aware of what could happen under the wrong circumstances.

Life insurance is not to help you if you die, it's a just in case thing, so your family won't be screwed, should the unlikely happen.

All I'm saying is that if you rent a car because it's cheaper than paying a cab to take you where you want to go and heaven forbid, the worst case scenario befalls you, it will make the cab fares seem insignificant by comparison.

Also, what else will you lose by being stuck in The DR ?

If you want to take the risk, I say go for it. I just want everyone to know what they are actually risking and what could happen.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,220 Times in 1,957 Posts

Question Re: Auto Accident Experience in the DR

I always do the taxi thing now that I think abought it what happens if they crash ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 566 Posts

My short story is another learned lesson...................
    I was in the DR for 24 days.......yea!!! I rented a car for the whole trip and had no problem with the police as far as being on the road....I did however had a problem with kids that keyed my car because I did not give them any peso's.....I was in Monte Cristi (no reason to go there guys) In order for the credit card company to pay for the car, I needed a police report......I drove to the police station at Sosua and they basically laughed me right out of the station. They asked for 1,000 peso's and I would not pay!! I then drove to Caberete and visited the Tourists police. I have limited Spanish...thought getting better, and wanted a report....again they refused to write a report. I went and picked up my PT gf and she did what she could to interpret that I needed a report to make a claim for my credit card. None of this mattered to anyone.....She came back to the car and told me that they were going to do nothing.....I got pissed......I went back in the police station and told the captain that I wanted his name and I was going to call the US embassy......IT WORKED!!
    Within 10 minutes I had a typed report to take back to the states. Cost me no peso's and I didn't purchase any additional insurance....just paid for the car with the credit card and the credit card company covers the car....AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A POLICE REPORT. When I talked to Avis rep. about this he said that a police report will take locals up to a week to have one completed, and tourists usually pay anywhere 300-1,000 peso's for a quick report......another lesson learned!!

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TPdog For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TPdog View Post
    My short story is another learned lesson...................
    I was in the DR for 24 days.......yea!!! I rented a car for the whole trip and had no problem with the police as far as being on the road....I did however had a problem with kids that keyed my car because I did not give them any peso's.....I was in Monte Cristi (no reason to go there guys) In order for the credit card company to pay for the car, I needed a police report......I drove to the police station at Sosua and they basically laughed me right out of the station. They asked for 1,000 peso's and I would not pay!! I then drove to Caberete and visited the Tourists police. I have limited Spanish...thought getting better, and wanted a report....again they refused to write a report. I went and picked up my PT gf and she did what she could to interpret that I needed a report to make a claim for my credit card. None of this mattered to anyone.....She came back to the car and told me that they were going to do nothing.....I got pissed......I went back in the police station and told the captain that I wanted his name and I was going to call the US embassy......IT WORKED!!
    Within 10 minutes I had a typed report to take back to the states. Cost me no peso's and I didn't purchase any additional insurance....just paid for the car with the credit card and the credit card company covers the car....AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A POLICE REPORT. When I talked to Avis rep. about this he said that a police report will take locals up to a week to have one completed, and tourists usually pay anywhere 300-1,000 peso's for a quick report......another lesson learned!!
    That's not entirely true. If you go to a police station, you need to be firm but polite and insist they type up a report.

In Santo Domingo, you don't even go to a police station, you go to the "Casa de Conductor" to report your accident. You tell them your side of the accident, they type up the report, and hand it to you there and then.

It doesn't matter where the accident occured, and there is no cost.

They take care of you quickly and professionally.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. DO what makes you happy.

Just be aware of what could happen under the wrong circumstances.

Life insurance is not to help you if you die, it's a just in case thing, so your family won't be screwed, should the unlikely happen.

All I'm saying is that if you rent a car because it's cheaper than paying a cab to take you where you want to go and heaven forbid, the worst case scenario befalls you, it will make the cab fares seem insignificant by comparison.

Also, what else will you lose by being stuck in The DR ?

If you want to take the risk, I say go for it. I just want everyone to know what they are actually risking and what could happen.
    every one is different thats why the chicas come in differnet shapes and sizes.
    different strokes for different folks.

ps; i don't rent a car cause its cheaper.............because it sure isn't
    i rent a car because i want too.
    whynoteh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajax718 View Post
    Dijinn, thank you for being honest enought to tell exactly how you got into the accident. You said at the time of the accident you were driving 125MPH down a hill and normally drive so fast from Puerta Plata to Santo Domingo in 2 1/2 hours when that trip driving normally take 4 hours???????
    OK... first of all I would like to clarify a misconception here on these boards. I'm not some teenager, who just got a license and has my parents buy me a brand new M5, which I tried to take over 100MPH. Here in the US, I own an Infiniti FX45, a Honda Odyssey Minivan and an old school Porsche 356.

ONCE while I was in the DR making a trip to Santo Domingo from Puerto Plata at 10AM on a Sunday morning, on a 6 lane highway close to Santo Domingo, I wanted to see how the Honda CRV would hold up. So, when I nice flat stretch of highway opened up and I was going downhill, I opened up the CRV to see where she would top out at. I was alone on the road and hit 110-125mph for maybe a 1/4 of a mile. Then I eased off the gas.

This was outlined in this thread on ISCO: http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...ad.php?t=76965

Now... I KNOW I am NOT the only person on here who likes to "open up" a car once in awhile. I do NOT condone driving at 100+ mph for long stretches, much less doing the entire trip from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo at that speed. I am generally a very safe and alert driver.

At the time I had the accident, I was driving within the city of Puerto Plata doing MAYBE 35 mph. I do not believe reaching 125mph in the city with a Honda CRV (without aftermarket 2-stage NOS) is even possible. The cause of the accident (which I fully explained in my first post) was the fact that I glanced down at my cell phone to see what time it was, the car in front of me braked to a sudden and complete stop IN THE LEFT LANE of a 4 lane divided road, and I was unfortunate enough to hit a patch of loose gravel because some construction was taking place right at that particular spot.

I just want everyone to be clear of the facts... that's all.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dijinn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 251 Posts

Horrible experience man. Im jus glad noone got hurn in that accident dijinn That why whenever i'm in the Dominican Republic I hire a driver. I have known him for about 4 years now and he is the best. He knows all the hot spots all over the DR. He has been a tour guide for 25 years and he speaks English, French, German and Italian and ofcourse Spanish. The only downfall is that he does not own a vehicle but he has friends with rental companies so he has the ability to get a rental without needing a credit card. You jus pay the flat rate of maybe $50 a day for the car depending on the type of vehicle. He lives in the capital so if you go to those far away town areas you will need to pay for a room for him also in you are going to overnight there. At the end of the trip I just give him a few dollars. Usually I negotiate a price with him before I go to the DR. Anyone who is interested can PM me or e-mail me @ cliff4@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

FYI this thread is almost 2 years old.
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

mi don't recommend renting a car if you aren't familiar with the country or it's roads........
    and der is nuthin worse than getting into a accident or having a problem with a car on holiday......

cheaper using taxis in Jamaica versus renting cars cause rentals are very expensive der....alot more expensive than the DR......
    plus taxis and drivers in Jamaica are very reasonable........if not cheap

plus using taxis and drivers allows you to partake.........so you don't have to worry about being under the influence or being intoxiated when driving.....and killing yourself or someone else

28. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,294 Times in 3,816 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Dawson View Post
    FYI this thread is almost 2 years old.

And the author, Dijinn, has been MIA for almost as long.
    He had actually bought a condo in the DR which he has abandoned (right Weyland?). If anyone knows his whereabouts (or even if he is alive), I'm sure Dominican Billy would be interested in the information.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikS For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Interesting thread, thanks for posting all. I had just gotten some info on a rental car for a 3 day trip. The rental car from Avis with the discount code available here on another thread, came out to be 270US$. This is including taxes, airport fee and all insurances that are available. According to the local Avis guy, there is no deductible on the insurance. So that is all good, but quite expensive. It is a nice Suzuki SUV and I dont think I would get anything lesser considering the road conditions. I checked with a friendly taxi driver, and he will charge me $150 for a full day of driving (anywhere). So I will actually be cheaper off taking the taxi offer for the sightseeing day, and a few local taxis as needed. I can get the taxi even cheaper by going off the beaten path, this is still a regular taxi fare.

Even if it would be more expensive, there is piece of mind and the convenience of having a driver.

Furthermore a really important comment: I have been driving for 30 years without any serious accidents, BUT any time I have been in some kind of dangerous driving situation it was when there was a cute girl in the passenger seat. (and I am not talking road head! just plain distraction or being off guard)

Just saying... do the math
    These Dominican girls are a handful !

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information