Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Auto Accident Experience in the DR

Thanks

Re: Auto Accident Experience in the DR

At that price it must include a BBBJ from your friendly driver! Every other way, you are getting fucked up the ass!!

Quote Originally Posted by giacomo View Post
    I checked with a friendly taxi driver, and he will charge me $150 for a full day of driving (anywhere).
    Just saying... do the math

2. The Following User Says Thank You to papi_sosua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,237 Times in 569 Posts

Thanks for contacting Adventure Rent A Car! We are glad you have choosen us for your car rental needs in the Dominican Republic.
    The rate for 6 days for a Mitsubishi Lancer or Similar. is 221.45 us dollar ( taxes unlimited mileage and insurance are include on the rate mentioned)
    I am in love with Jimmydr. I want him to be mine forever!

Thanks

Adventure rent a car is a lot cheaper but then you have the 90,000 deductible. Correct me if I am wrong ?

On the Taxi: how much would you give him for the day? (couple hundred of miles driving and 8 am til midnight) I know the going rate to Santiago is between 60 and 100US$ That is about 1.5 hour drive. Up and down would be double that. That is why I thought it was not a bad deal. We will be driving a lot more than that. Though admittedly I have gotten a "taxi" from Santiago to POP for about $18 once.
    These Dominican girls are a handful !

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by giacomo View Post

Furthermore a really important comment: I have been driving for 30 years without any serious accidents, BUT any time I have been in some kind of dangerous driving situation it was when there was a cute girl in the passenger seat. (and I am not talking road head! just plain distraction or being off guard)

Just saying... do the math
    That's a key point. Lots of folks just plain aren't ready for the sensory overload when they hit the island.

There are girls EVERYWHERE, and lots of them are pretty good looking.

Couple that with a country where many of the drivers don't have a license, don't know how to read, no Plates, no registration, and DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE, and all it takes is looking at one girl for one second too many, and your driving into the rear end of a clunker that will want you to pay him off like he was driving a Mercedes.

I can't stress how important it is that you NEVER take your eyes off the road while your vehicle is in motion. It's a sure recipe for disaster.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Driving in the DR is quite an experience to say the least.Most DR drivers never had any training what soever they pay 100k pesos to the person standing in front of the drivers license building and they get their license.I drive like I am carrying nitroglycerin.Lots of room in front like 500 feet and 200 behind me .If I am getting tailgated I slow down even more to let them pass.I don't swerve much either the motoconchos sneak up on both sides too pass and hide in blind spots.The worst two places I have noticed are between the Malecon and FOD where people are stopped in the road everywhere.The other deathwish place is in the mountains between Cabarete and Moca I have almost died twice in two trips.Think I will go through Puerto Plata if possible from Santiago at least you have room if someone is in your lane.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 251 Posts

I personally always hire my driver whenever i'm in the DR. It gives me a sense of relaxation knowing that I can drink and really get involved however I want. He knows where all the spots are. If I happen to get a chica number and she wants me to pick her up at home I jus tell my driver and he will go for her and bring her straight for me at the hotel or where ever. I usually pay for a cabana for me and one for him whenever we are out of the capital. I dont pay no expensive hotels. If i go with a group of friends all of us chip in and pay for his room. It's cheaper if i go with a group of friends. But I honestly like the fact that this guy knows it all man. He's a smart guy too. He will even bargain with the chicas for ya.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,539 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TPdog View Post
    I went and picked up my PT gf and she did what she could to interpret that I needed a report to make a claim for my credit card.
    Reading this makes me realize that there is value to having a so-called novia.

The Mac Man

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,539 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Dawson View Post
    FYI this thread is almost 2 years old.
    Does this mean that information contained in an "old thread" is not useful?

The Mac Man

Thanks

Because the locals are known for erratic driving, I have always made sure I was not only covered by auto insurance, but also covered by my credit cards.This is the first time I have heard of such a large deductable and this is something I will look into before my next trip.I am surprised that I wasn't covered as well as I thought. I guess that even though i rent from american companies, more attention should be paid to the fine print, thanks for the heads up Dijinn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 287 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pi3141516 View Post
    At that price it must include a BBBJ from your friendly driver! Every other way, you are getting fucked up the ass!!
    Damn straight that's spendy. That taxi driver should follow
    you around for a week at that rate!

Thanks

DINJIN
    I rent from Adventurer also but your rate wasn't with FULL COVERAGE it was just the cheap rate it is confusing the actual dedeuctable is like 2500 dollars or 3500 dollars
    Adventurerer real insurance is like another 30 bucks a day which puts it at 80 bucks cash day.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread Information