Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Denominations

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Re: What Denominations

Quote Originally Posted by MisterPink View Post
    Doesn't show the new 200 pesos notes which I have never seen, or the 2000 peso note which I have never handled. (I am just a poor English guy ). It is true though - after 21 weeks in DR I still have yet to touch a 2000 note. (I saw Mr Pink lighting a cigar with one once, though.)

Thanks

Hey guys. This post is for the new guys who have never been to the DR but are thinking of going. NEVER use American money in the DR. Yes, they will accept your American green , with a big smile on their faces. Why? You have now placed the "exchange rate" squarely in their hands. You will get screwed every time. I am not talking about tips. I am speaking of purchasing things. Always exchange your money.

My experience is mostly with Santo Domingo. When you arrive at the airport (Las Americas SDQ) remember to have one 10 dollar bill per traveler. You must purchase a "tourist card" which is your entry tax. After you clear immigration and retrieve your bags, you must then go through customs. As soon as you clear customs, there is a bank directly on the right. But be advised, they charge a large fee to exchange money. In my opinion it is best to exchange a small amount ($100.00 usd) at this location. That way, you have money to eat a little something and have money for a taxi. Then seek out a bank in town with a better exchange rate. For me, Western Union has the best exchange rates in Santo Domingo. Other members might know of better locations than mine and I am sure they will correct me.

Another option is using your credit/debit cards. There are AMT's in the lobby area of SDQ. They are located next to the the pizza place and video arcade. You can get a decent exchange rate using these machines. BUT! Beware of using cards in the DR. Not so much with ATM's but the DR is notorious for people stealing numbers from cards and then using the numbers to steal your money. For me personally, I only bring one card and it is for emergencies only.

Every man is different. I personally like the 1000 peso bill. What ever you are trying to do there, it always seems to be in that range. After a few purchases you will have plenty of smaller bills.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vincent Vega For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

Some ATMs in SD only spit out 1k notes which are hard to get change for when paying for taxis etc. Even 500 peso notes are tough for some taxi guys. I always try to have 100 peso notes and smaller to pay for taxis and not have to look for change.

Beads says he doesn't believe sometimes when they say they don't have change. I have run into that. I was in a piano bar last week or so and all I had was 1000 peso notes. . ..they were having all the girls wear bikinis and a few were gonna get up and dance on the bartop. I asked my waitress to change a 1000 peso note. . . . she gave it to the "manager" and he said we can't change it. I said OK give me my bill. . . . .the dope.

I called himover and said I wanted change to tip the girls dancing which would help him hold onto them longer. I said give me my bill and I can either:

1- pay it take the CHANGE and leave

2- or pay it and use the change to tip the girls

I said because he was being a prick I was leaning towards number 1. I said if he didn't want me spending my money there I'd go to a bar that actually wants my money. . . . he changed it with a smile. . . .the dope. . .lol . .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

I seldom ask for change, and almost always have at least a few hundred pesos in small bills.

But, like Prtyr, it's almost sadistically enjoyable asking for change somewhere, not getting it, consuming something cheap, then pay for it with the same bill they said they couldn't change, and watch the change mysteriously appear.

Kind of a "I'm smarter than you are, and I just proved it" attitude..
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I think we may be the only country where people walk into say a 7-11 and pay for a soda with a $20 bill or even a $50 and dont even thing twice about it. In Europe for example if you do that, they will assume you are USING them as a bank so to speak to make change and frown upon it a bit. They expect people to carry the appropriate denominations to pay for their goods, this is even true in a grocery store where almost everyone carries a change purse for the coins with which to pay exact change. I almost never see that here in the US. I guess thats why everyone thinks we are all rich here, which is certainly no longer true the way the Dollar is sliding into the Abyss.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kush View Post
    Was looking and seems like theres alot of different money denominations in the DR. My question is what denominations to you guys ask for when exchanging your money. Which denominations do you find yourself using the most and what are the most convenient ones to have with you.
    What works for me is
    when I first exchange my money, I change 1000US. Get plenty of 1000 peso notes. Plenty of 100 peso notes. And keep 100us in ones for tipping. 100us in fives. That should stem a lot of useless spending. Nobody ever has change for 100,50,20 us. On the tipping in bars and resturants, 20 pesos is too low and 50 pesos is too much.
    I've offended you.....goood

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

500's are the best!

I definitely recommend to watch out mixing 1000's with 100's they look very similar and cost me 900 pesos one night at passions.

There was a chica dancing and doing a great pole show and I was sitting with my ATF chica and thought I would give a tip so out comes my money clip and I grab what I thought was a 100 and gave it to my ATF to tip the girl dancing.

About 10 mins later I went to the bathroom and checked if I had enough pesos to go to the back room. And then I realized that I was a 1000 short so I asked my ATF what I gave her and she thought that it was a 100 also but said maybe 1000 so the girl dancing made about 2300 for dancing 2 songs.

She got 2 1000 bills then Peters wife over herd and asked if it was a mistake and wanted to know if I wanted 900 back. I declined and had to put that as lessen learned.Thats why I like 500's! I was very impressed with Peters wife and all the girls that work there. I'm going back in 3 week and can't wait to get another soapie!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Summit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

Re: 500's are the best!

Sure you like the 500 peso bills until you alsohave a 2000 peso note. . . .when you make that mistake it's a 1500 peso one. I always try and put 1000 or 2000 peso notes in my wallet or seperate pocket from my regular cash.

You are even more likely to make that mistake paying a taxi at 4 am drunk off your ass and his dome light doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I definitely recommend to watch out mixing 1000's with 100's they look very similar and cost me 900 pesos one night at passions.

There was a chica dancing and doing a great pole show and I was sitting with my ATF chica and thought I would give a tip so out comes my money clip and I grab what I thought was a 100 and gave it to my ATF to tip the girl dancing.

About 10 mins later I went to the bathroom and checked if I had enough pesos to go to the back room. And then I realized that I was a 1000 short so I asked my ATF what I gave her and she thought that it was a 100 also but said maybe 1000 so the girl dancing made about 2300 for dancing 2 songs.

She got 2 1000 bills then Peters wife over herd and asked if it was a mistake and wanted to know if I wanted 900 back. I declined and had to put that as lessen learned.Thats why I like 500's! I was very impressed with Peters wife and all the girls that work there. I'm going back in 3 week and can't wait to get another soapie!

Thanks

Re: 500's are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by prtyr2 View Post
    Sure you like the 500 peso bills until you alsohave a 2000 peso note. . . .when you make that mistake it's a 1500 peso one. I always try and put 1000 or 2000 peso notes in my wallet or seperate pocket from my regular cash.

You are even more likely to make that mistake paying a taxi at 4 am drunk off your ass and his dome light doesn't work!
    I don't ever carry 2000's I break them in to 500's.

That's just my system ..

Thanks

The ATM at Popular Bank give 500 and 200 notes. This has worked fine for me so far. Also found this bank also gives the opticn of English directions Just half block down and half a block left of New Garden.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tennessee For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i think carry 20's. 100's and 500's denomination is the wise way to go.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allstarmo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,007 Times in 3,410 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee View Post
    The ATM at Popular Bank give 500 and 200 notes. This has worked fine for me so far. Also found this bank also gives the opticn of English directions Just half block down and half a block left of New Garden.

When I withdraw 10,000 pesos at the ATM at Popular Bank in Malecon Center (in SD), it gives me 18, 500-peso bills and 10, 100-peso bills.

I also follow the English directions.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This post was on DR1 today-looks like we have some larger denomination coins coming

The Central Bank is denying reports of a shortage of change in the DR and says that 3.4 million RD$5 coins have been put into circulation since 18 June. Officials say that the use of coin machines, juke boxes, tolls and bus fares has lead to an increased need for coins. The Central Bank says that shortly a further 1.5 million RD$5 coins will be put in circulation and that another, 500,000 RD$10 coins will soon be released to the public. A press release by the CB reports the bank has requested the minting of 15 million RD$5 coins and 10 million RD$10 coins. They have also requested 10 million RD$25 coins. Hoy reports that three million of those coins are currently on a boat that is due to arrive in the DR in mid July. By December the DR is expected to have received 40 million RD$1 coins, 23 million RD$5 coins, 23 million RD$10 coins and 15 million RD$25 coins

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dukes1963 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukes1963 View Post
    This post was on DR1 today-looks like we have some larger denomination coins coming

The Central Bank is denying reports of a shortage of change in the DR and says that 3.4 million RD$5 coins have been put into circulation since 18 June. Officials say that the use of coin machines, juke boxes, tolls and bus fares has lead to an increased need for coins. The Central Bank says that shortly a further 1.5 million RD$5 coins will be put in circulation and that another, 500,000 RD$10 coins will soon be released to the public. A press release by the CB reports the bank has requested the minting of 15 million RD$5 coins and 10 million RD$10 coins. They have also requested 10 million RD$25 coins. Hoy reports that three million of those coins are currently on a boat that is due to arrive in the DR in mid July. By December the DR is expected to have received 40 million RD$1 coins, 23 million RD$5 coins, 23 million RD$10 coins and 15 million RD$25 coins
    I have been back in town for two weeks after a six week break and I find the situation has improved. There are lots of the new 5 peso coins and I have noticed more of the very grubby 20's around. Maybe they put them back in circulation to eleviate the situation.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snoozer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That's a great question, I would be interested in knowing also.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to tpd For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information