Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are they still asking for tips at POP?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcq58
    how is some Gomez going to seriously detain me for a bribe?
    Not cool :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
    ostronic,

Please keep the slurs to yourself. They will not be tolorated here. Govern yourself accordingly.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

Thanks
    Sorry about that. I grew up in a very hispanic area in North Hollywood and am used to good natured ball busting. I can see how that was inappropriate in this forum though; point taken.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ostronic
    Sorry about that. I grew up in a very hispanic area in North Hollywood and am used to good natured ball busting. I can see how that was inappropriate in this forum though; point taken.
    okay this time, no harm, no foul as they say.

Thanks
    Copacetic. To get back to the point--was I just lucky to have encountered no problem at customs? I really would rather not give these guys cash, but if you more experienced guys think that is the norm I will have to figure that into my budget. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts
    Copacetic. To get back to the point--was I just lucky to have encountered no problem at customs? I really would rather not give these guys cash, but if you more experienced guys think that is the norm I will have to figure that into my budget. Thanks.
    As long as you are on the up and up, no problem. Don't give them shit if you don't want to......It's all your choice but remember, you don't have to.......

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    POP has a reputation for nonexistant customs controls. i have not had anyone try and stop me just walking thru to the taxi area outside. infact the last trip, this past january there was noone between the baggage carosel and the outside

i don't worry about it and if it does happen to me i'll just pretent not to understand and try to keep moving. worst cast i'll slide him a fiver or let him have a look in my bags.

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts
    Funny story about coming home. This would have made the trip report had I finished (sorry about that, blame ps and Sammy!). I went through the detector and it went off. I forgot to take off my bracelet from the beach. So after we discovered that's what was sounding off the alarm, the guard said:

"Do you have a little tip for me?"

I was like "What?"

He said "Like $5.00"

I said (in my best Spanglish) "Man, you know I have no money, I gave it all to my novias" (Idea stolen from this site...worked for a second time!).

The funny part was when I took his hand and shook it hard...then gave him a hug!! Told him that I had a great time, and that I'd see him again in Augusto. The look on his face was priceless. Sometimes, I really think that I'm insane.
    :shock:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts
    Ha Ha Ha!!! That's funny............

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    i wish i could have seen that! novias, plural...and a hug :shock:

gotta be fast on your feet to keep up with you!

Thanks
    ...and it really did happen. I guess I still had that DR euphoria still in me...you all know what I mean. This guy was real soft spoken also. It was like it was his first time asking for a "bribe". I think I really scared him, cuz I was kinda loud (he was whispering).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostropheman
    i wish i could have seen that! novias, plural...and a hug :shock:

gotta be fast on your feet to keep up with you!
    It was totally spontaneous! I was wondering why I set off the alarm...I dressed the way I did for the purpose of avoiding it. I was shocked when he said it (and at the way he was whispering). It was a natural response...well for me anyway. Hell, I scared Jimmy when I first met him.

Thanks
    "Man, you know I have no money, I gave it all to my novias" (
    I've done the same thing when they asked for a propina for a cerveza fria. Just said I gave it to the novia in a you know how things go around here kinda voice :-).....They just laughed with me and said 'well maybe next time' !!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gdogg
    ...and it really did happen. I guess I still had that DR euphoria still in me...you all know what I mean. This guy was real soft spoken also. It was like it was his first time asking for a "bribe". I think I really scared him, cuz I was kinda loud (he was whispering).
    Now that's some funny S*#t. I'm the one to try that!!!!!!!!!! (priceless) cant hurt if it doesn't work, I'll give up $5.00
    Chicas....."Don't walk around like yo shit don't stink cause I'm DEPUTY DAWG I'll put yo booty in the KLINK!!!!!!"

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Dunno about POP but there were some customs guys sacked at the SD airport recently after the customs managers organised survellience. Whether this is part of a serious attempt to tackle corruption or a PR stunt remains to be seen.

BTW, I've never even seen any customs people at POP on either of my visits from the UK.

Thanks
    BTW, I've never even seen any customs people at POP on either of my visits from the UK.
    My experience is with charter flights they just let everyone walk through. Other flights they pick and choose who they want to check. My first trip they searched both my suitcase and carry-on luggage.

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts
    I was waved thru last Wednesday.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDR
    I was waved thru last Wednesday.
    Of course you were!! They know better than to mess with (future) government officials!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information