Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living in Santo Domingo

Thanks
    I'm in the software development department of a major telcom. Quality assurance side of it. Middle management.
    I do think I could live in DR, if just for the weather alone. Lots better than shitty always raining Holland.
    Now if I could just get my spanish up to a business level and get myself transferred to DR................yes my telcom is active in DR. When I tell the girls they always seem to think I work in a shop. They can't comprehense there must be something bigger behind all these little shops to make it actually function....
    How would Santo Domingo be to live??? Lots different than the North Coast??

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jd_mine
    How would Santo Domingo be to live??? Lots different than the North Coast??
    High rise Hotels, shopping malls, multiplex movies. Its a real city! :shock:

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Yeah, I know, even Santiago was a real city compared to Sosua and even Puerto Plata.
    But in regards to lifestyle, girls etc. How does it compare to living in Sosua. I mean with a REAL job, not living like those expats in Sosua, who all claim to be millionaires, but don't have a peso....

Thanks
    Thanked 16,456 Times in 3,763 Posts
    I have alot of free time on my hands...

Hence the plethora of naked "provider" pics.

Thanks

living in SDQ

I think you could make a go of it, but I would certainly visit often before you move, for WEEKS at a time, not days, AND search out the expats just to get the non-lala land vision of what IS a third world country at times. I am all but convinced that I will retire there,perhaps sooner than later, but I too will give it the time test.

Most of the girls have no idea what we do even if we spell it out for them ( short of being gas station attendants,waiters or sankies) so tell'em you own the Montreal Expos (they'll think yer rich, and if they can read a map, they'll never want to go there).

JimmyDR is the oracle on this subject.
    I been afforded the opportunity to learn a wealth of knowledge just recently from a group of expats who decided I was ok and have taken me under their wings now.The info one can get from these trailblazers is invaluable, so I would suggest searching them out, as they are what we hope to be.(assuming they're not drunks, etc)

Thanks
    I wasn't talking about moving permanently yet. That would be a real big step. I'm more thinking about getting transferred for my job for up to a year doing some consulting. That way I would be protected by a big international taking care of housing etc. and ofcourse I would draw a real, western salary. Drawback is that those offices will ofcourse be situated in Santo Domingo and I know nothing about Santo Domingo. Hence the question how that would compare to the North Coast, where I have been a lot.
    I find you don't have to ly about your job, since they all think we're rich anyway. They always seem to think that when you have a bank account and can take money out of the ATM, that that supply is endless and will go on forever.........

Thanks
    I'd think of it as a "year-long vacation" where you don't have to be concerned about earning a decent (western) income, and you don't have to pay to get on an airplane to get at reasonably-priced A-1 pussy. The rest is fluff. I believe I'd give my left nut for an oppurtunity like that! Congratulations!

Thanks
    The opportunity is not there yet, but the possibility is.
    I think I'd need to get my Spanish improved. Right now I'm at the level where I can talk to (non)pro's, cab drivers etc. I'm not at a business level yet....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cremaconpalo
    I'd think of it as a "year-long vacation" where you don't have to be concerned about earning a decent (western) income, and you don't have to pay to get on an airplane to get at reasonably-priced A-1 pussy. The rest is fluff. I believe I'd give my left nut for an oppurtunity like that! Congratulations!
    My goal is 12-14 days a month every month.

Thanks
    They always seem to think that when you have a bank account and can take money out of the ATM, that that supply is endless and will go on forever.........
    Wait a minute... it's NOT endless? :shock: Shit! So much for my retirement plans.... :cry:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RearWindow
    They always seem to think that when you have a bank account and can take money out of the ATM, that that supply is endless and will go on forever.........
    Wait a minute... it's NOT endless? :shock: Shit! So much for my retirement plans.... :cry:
    Endless for them.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts
    I lived in santo domingo for 2 years. I prefer SD over north coast just because of convenience etc. I like having a city nearby. I like big supermarkets, chain restaurants like Fridays, Outback, and Tony Romas. I like having a large choice of non mongering things to do.

If you can get a xfer, I highly recommend it. You will quickly lean more towards just meeting chicas rather than mongering. You will be flirted with daily, and have plenty of oppurtunities. I am planning to move back down ASAP. If you head to santo domingo, drop me a message and I'll be glad to show you around!

Thanks
    I wasn't talking about moving permanently yet. That would be a real big step. I'm more thinking about getting transferred for my job for up to a year doing some consulting. That way I would be protected by a big international taking care of housing etc. and ofcourse I would draw a real, western salary. Drawback is that those offices will ofcourse be situated in Santo Domingo and I know nothing about Santo Domingo. Hence the question how that would compare to the North Coast, where I have been a lot.
    I find you don't have to ly about your job, since they all think we're rich anyway. They always seem to think that when you have a bank account and can take money out of the ATM, that that supply is endless and will go on forever.........
    JD you read my mind. I'm a network engineer for a major Telco. I'm thinking doing a year in the DR or somewhere else just to get a change of pace and to experience a different culture. And I love Latin women. Their mentality is different from American women.

My company just sold its Latin America division. Any openings for Network Engineers in your company’s Latin America division?

Thanks
    BigTrick is angling for the year round chica action in DR...

Big Pimpin Dirty South Style.

LOL.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WSJ3
    BigTrick is angling for the year round chica action in DR...

Big Pimpin Dirty South Style.

LOL.
    I see it like this.......I'm 30 yr old college grad, no wife, no kids. I make a good salary and maintain a good lifestyle. If I can make a decent salary in the DR and maintain a good lifestyle there, why not go for a year or two. Maybe even Japan or Europe. If I don't like it, I can always come back home, pick up where I left off.

Thanks
    That is the right attitude to have BigTrick.

I am 4 classes away from finishing up my 3 degree...after that I am thinking about coming down to the ATL use my veteran benefits and buy a house.

Then it will be the freak train 24/7, and if the ladies in the ATL aren't vibing to my rap then its back to DR.

Thanks
    My company just sold its Latin America division. Any openings for Network Engineers in your company’s Latin America division?
    Hey Big Trick, I met you at the Flamingo one night when I was with Continental Mike.
    I just started at this current Telcom (hint: they have a color in their name :-) ), so I don't know yet what they're looking for in DR.
    Funny sidenote: got myself a nice new smart phone from them with unlimited calling. So I decided to send some text messages to my girl over there. Got them all back undelivered. Turns out we have blocked Orange Dominicana for sending lots of bulk messages, so I can't receive or send any text messages there.
    Nice thing to do to your sister company :-)

Thanks
    Spam takes up a ton of bandwidth...

It is understandable.

Thanks
    Fuck understanding.....
    Now I still have to pay for my text messages ! :-)

Thanks
    Sorry...

You can always switch plans...

Get IN with Verizon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information