Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fatal accident

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Re: Fatal accident

Quote Originally Posted by Willie
    I always rent a car when I visit. At least I have a certain measure of control.

There is no guarantee that driving in a taxi is any safer. The only edge that a taxi would have would be in the case of damage to the vehicle, it wont be your problem.

Driving conditions differ from place to place. One just needs to adjust.

Willie

Its definitely safer in the back seat!
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beads
    Its definitely safer in the back seat!
    Depends on the accident, I would prefer to be in the front seat if someone hit me from behind.
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

I've said it before. Most dominicans do not understand the laws of physic at all.
    They pull out in front of speeding cars, without looking to see if cars are coming. I watched a kid a couple of days ago pull a wheelie on a bike, and rode straight into the front of a Caribe Tours bus. He wasn't even looking where he was going!
    The first concept you absolutely have to throw out the window is "right of way" It is a known fact that about 80%(yes, 80%) of drivers in the DR do not have a license, and many of them are illiterate as well.
    Those drivers point their car in a given direction, and go. They do not worry about you having the right of way, they don't even THINK about it. It's a foreign concept to them.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy
    I've said it before. Most dominicans do not understand the laws of physic at all.
    They pull out in front of speeding cars, without looking to see if cars are coming. I watched a kid a couple of days ago pull a wheelie on a bike, and rode straight into the front of a Caribe Tours bus. He wasn't even looking where he was going!
    The first concept you absolutely have to throw out the window is "right of way" It is a known fact that about 80%(yes, 80%) of drivers in the DR do not have a license, and many of them are illiterate as well.
    Those drivers point their car in a given direction, and go. They do not worry about you having the right of way, they don't even THINK about it. It's a foreign concept to them.
    Now thats fucked up!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As Diver_Red once told me "traffic laws (in the DR) are merely suggestions". How true it is! I rent a car on every visit to not only address mobility aspect but also for safety and security concerns. I don't dig riding on the back of motoconchos and walking at night in unlit areas could put oneself at some risk. Defensive driving is always prudent, but sometimes you have to place yourself on the same playing field as they and resort to some offensive driving tactics, especially when they of the mistaken belief that if they are first ahead of you, they automatically have the right of way.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown
    Defensive driving is always prudent, but sometimes you have to place yourself on the same playing field as they and resort to some offensive driving tactics, especially when they of the mistaken belief that if they are first ahead of you, they automatically have the right of way.
    Yes you have to drive very offensively in the DR, Afterall the best Defense is a Good Offense!

As for that "mistaken belief" no that's common knowledge in the DR. That's how I drive there. If I am first I have the right of way!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information