Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Re: Villa rental

Quote Originally Posted by ebo
    Sign me up!
    Only $45,000 a week.
    Is this guy on crack.
    Casa de Campo is less than 10 Grand a week for a large villa.
    He must be

Thanks

Getting back to the topic:

Jun 11: I plan to rent a car on Sat ( June 12 ) early and drive to Rio San Juan and play Playa Grande ... IMHO the best golf course in the Carribean. On Sunday I may play "Jack Tar" in Caberete .. Monday ... car rental and I go to Santiago and play a 70 par there carved out of the hills. There is one in Samina. I am trying to make some money video taping these courses. I had hoped to hit more this trip but I did not know how fuckig big this place is. A bus to Punta Cana is 7 hours ( so I am told ). Tuesday ... car rental to San Franciso to try and hook up with a DR woman from home without her husband, hopefully she will make my balls disappear for a change.

Thanks

Hotel for Golfing ...

I'm working on a magazine article about this topic ... Just getting started.

Arguably the best golf course in the DR is Playa Grande (Dye Fore) is a close second if not a tie IMHO.

But, for the moment, Playa Grande can be cheap ... very very cheap for what you get.

I found it 4 years ago, and it is jaw droppingly beautiful. 12 holes on the ocean. It was the last golf course Robert Trent Jone built, and he cried when he got the appointment.

It is truly, the Pebble Beach of the Carribean. But 2 years ago, I played with a couple that had played Pebble Beach, and they said Pebble Beach does not come close.

Where to Stay: The course wraps around an all inclusive "Oxcidental Allegro Resort Caribbean Village" I just took a Chica there for two nights while I played. The hotel was for $75 per night for two including all meals and drinks. ( Not each! ) ( It was a Dominican Holiday weekend so this may have been a steal. ) It is not Chica friendly so take her with you as I did. I payed more to play golf, though, it is $20 cheaper if you are a guest of the hotel. ( $85 for round and Cart + $6 for caddie fee ( cash for Caddie fee ) + minimum ( IMO ) $10 additional tip for Caddie ... because they are worth it. )

The hotel is not always open. So some stay at the all inclusive Bahai Pricipe ( not Chica friendly unless you bring her in when you register). There is a hotel closer than the Bahai in Rio San Juan, but I have not seen it.

This Course/Hotel is 1.5 hour drive from POP ... $55 one way if you fail to book it with your hotel room.

If you can get a group together, it is better to stay in Soser and go over to the Texaco station and bargin for ride down and back from a taxi cab. You should be able to get a round trip for $40 - 50 and have the night life of Caberte - Soser.

There is NO night life at the hotel.

BUT ... if you do stay at the hotel, ask the younger caddies about night life ( forfit you free buffet dinners ... and try to stay over the weekend. Two years ago, we went out for dinner and stumbled upon "the place". It was packed with Chicas and families. Tip your caddies well because this is when it comes back to you. Dominicans can be very generous. All of us found our caddies there in the crowd ( actually they found us). Magically, tables for us to sit appeard where thire had been none. Real chicas came up to dance ... not the agressive money grabbing ones you get in Soser ... you feel a bit more appreciated out of the big cities.

Got to end this ... the internet cafe is closing in a few minutes ... I legitimately broke 100 today at Playa Grande and had a "Presidente" beer and a BJ waiting for me in my to celebrate.

This place can be heaven ...

PS: Playa Grande is in receivership. It is not in danger of closing, but new owners are being interviewed. Also, a road has been cut into the hillside oberlooking much of the course possibly for a new hotel. Some people want to take it private. So GO NOW. You can tell your kids/grandkids about it. Believe me ... THIS PLACE IS GOING TO BE DISCOVERED ... BIG TIME.

If someone reads this and wants more let me know. I will also write about La Romana and Dye Fore.

C

Thanks

Check out Juan Dolio

I agree with your assessment of Playa Grande. Have played there many times and it is truely the jewel of the Carribean. Without an airstrip nearby it is doomed to its current fate. BTW, Rio San Juan has a hotel on the Ocean called Bahia Blanca, $30 a night and chica friendly!
    Juan Dolio on the south coast probably offers the best combination of golf and nightlife on the island. Metro Country Club and Guavaberry are two great courses. Italians winter there in large numbers so there's plenty of chicas and plenty of clubs. If you join the Dominican Golf Assn. for an annual fee of $75 you can play these courses for about one fourth of the cost. Good luck on cataloging the Dominican golf courses, and don't overlook the 9 hole beauty in Jarabacoa.

Thanks
    nybm9x5:

I am heading to the Palace on August 31st.

Can you tell me further details on how the rental car ride was out to Playa Grande.

Was the driving easy as far as roads?

Did you go solo?

I want to play this course and hopefully can hook up with someone at the palace to play with.

But if I go solo the only thing I'm worried about is safety. Being a newbie I don't want to get into trouble in the wrong areas of DR.

Sounds like you drove all over hunting down courses.

Any further details appreciated on driving to the courses.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB99
    nybm9x5:

Can you tell me further details on how the rental car ride was out to Playa Grande.

Did you go solo?

I want to play this course and hopefully can hook up with someone at the palace to play with.

But if I go solo the only thing I'm worried about is safety. Being a newbie I don't want to get into trouble in the wrong areas of DR.

Your first time in the DR and you are renting a car! Well I wish you the best...Driving in the DR is an experience!

Read my thread...Rules of the Road http://www.insearchofchicas.org/phpb...opic.php?t=298

The ride out to Rio San Juan is a 2 lane road (well sometimes it is used as a 4-5 lane road but that's when the drivers get crazy, lanes are not obeyed). It is about 75 Km from Sosua and for the most part smooth sailing but you have to look ahead because you never know when you will hit a bad part of the road. You will pass through about 3 or 4 towns on your way.

If you stay on the main road it should be relatively safe but of course anything can happen anywhere, you don't list a home city and everyone's definition of safe is different. If you speak Spanish it will be easy. I know Rio San Juan is a nice town and they have tourist police.

As for going solo...
    Would I have gone solo my first time in the DR?, probably not but more so because of the driving (they are CRAZY) down there then the personal safety factor. I wouldn't have wanted to drive in the DR my first trip down, actually thinking on my fourth trip about getting a car.

PS. Couple more things...
    1. Don't make the drive at night!
    2. Make a photocopy of your DL and say the rental agency has your original if stopped by police.
    3. Wear your seat belt ($500RD fine for locals, I have heard $120US for gringos)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB99
    nybm9x5:

Did you go solo?

Don gave you an excellent accessment. Renting your first time there is more of an adventure than I would undertake. But I would rent a car there now - briefly. Rent a driver to take you. My trip to Santiago cost me $60 for the day. The Golf course was $19 + caddie ($10 - $5 was recommended ) It was stunning.

My advise is to get a driver especially your first time ... do not drive at night. Don had good suggestions too.

The road to Santiago had a washout that was a shear clif ... I would not like to drive that ... instead I was sucking on a Presidente and looking.

I am trying to keep a list of trusted contacts and Taxis on my website ... email me and I will let you know.

Enjoy ... I will be down soon ... once I move thes MF's in my office to the new office.

C

Thread Information