Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding pictures to posts using VB Image Host

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Adding pictures to posts using VB Image Host

This is how I include photos in my posts using ISOC's own VB Image Host facility.

This is for new posters. It is just how I do it and there are dozens of other approaches which may suit other posters more. Please add any suggestions for improvements to this thread.

1. I create a temporary folder on my Desktop for all the pics I wish to upload in the current operation. (After I am done I delete this folder and its contents).

2. I make copies of the pics I wish to upload and save them with "intelligible" names (rather than the string of numbers which my camera offers) for storage for possible future re-use.

3. I reduce the size of the copies to not more than 960 pixels wide x 720 tall (or vice versa). I use Photoshop simply because I happen to have it but there are many other image handling programs available on the net for free. A good one is IrfanView.

It is not essential to reduce the dimensions because VB Image Host will do this automatically if you do not, but I prefer to keep control over the process. The purpose of reducing the picture dimensions is to avoid it "stretching" the page when viewed full-size and causing scrollbars to appear. (I hate horizontal scrollbars!). Of course, there are rare occasions when it may be necessary to view the pic full-size. Maps, for example.

As well as reducing the dimensions I reduce the image quality in Photoshop in order to minimise the file-size. 60% is more than adequate for online pics and usually results in a file-size of 300/400 Kb. This will speed up uploading and also picture loading onto the page.

4. Click on "VB Image Host" (second from right on upper menu bar). Click on "Upload an Image".

5. Browse to the location of your first pic on your local drive. In my case it will be the temporary folder on my Desktop (see stage 1 above). Click on "Open" which will cause the filepath to be entered into the first box on VB Image Host.

6. Repeat this process for your 2nd (...Nth) picture. You are allowed a maximum of 10 in one upload operation.

7. When you have 10 (or fewer) pictures entered, click on "Host It". Wait patiently!

8. Eventually you will see your pic (or pics) as thumbnails (together with all associated data) in your VB Image Host "Library". Note that, by default, your pictures are held as "Private" and can only be seen by other members if you paste them into your posts (as below). If you are happy for members to browse through any of your pictures in the VB Image Host "library" then you can click on "Set Public Image". You can mix n'match, some Private, some Public.

9. If I am doing one of my usual longwinded reports I usually compose it in Notepad first, and post the picture references into it at that stage. For a short post I paste the picture reference straight into the text box on the thread page.

10. To add the picture reference to your text, go to the top box (BB Code Image). Copy the whole content, including the opening and closing IMG tags. Be sure to include the opening and closing square brackets. Paste this into your text at the desired point. I always leave a line space above and below the pasted-in picture refererence.

11. When your post/report is complete, check the results by clicking on "Preview Post" before "sending" it.

12. If you have a lot of picture references to paste into a long report you may prefer to open a second window with another copy of ISOC showing your stored pictures. It is easier to copy the picture references here and paste into your report in the other window. Of course if you are composing your report in Notepad first this is unnecessary.
    Last edited by weyland; 10-06-2008 at 08:49 AM.

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Re: Adding pictures to posts using VB Image Host

very detailed report.
    this is what i do except for the notebook part.......haven't got to that page in my 101 for computer dummies yet.
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 1,585 Posts

Thanks a million, Weyland.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whynotme View Post
    ... this is what i do except for the notebook part ...
    Oops! I meant Notepad (not Notebook).

Some posters compose first in Microsoft Word but this can bring spacing problems with it when posted. Notepad is almost free of formatting. Not to mention if you bring across a poncy fontface from Word there is a cranky old bigot here who will whinge about it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,005 Times in 793 Posts

I post the same way as weyland but i use the paint program on microsoft to size the pictures.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cainer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,718 Times in 3,229 Posts

you can also use the Microsoft image resizer...you can get it here....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/D...powertoys.mspx

works extremely welll, this is what I use, and you can do multiple pics at the same time, there also is a version for Vista...just google if you need that
    C.I.S.O.C.
    Cuba.....Cigars and beautiful chicas

One life I'm gonna live it up....Judas Priest, You Got Another Thing Coming

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LM For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I forgot to say that because I am clueless at photography I usually crop most pictures in Photoshop first to get a better composition, and sometimes lighten them, but I try to keep to the 4:3 ratio for dimensions.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post

Some posters compose first in Microsoft Word but this can bring spacing problems with it when posted. Notepad is almost free of formatting. Not to mention if you bring across a poncy fontface from Word there is a cranky old bigot here who will whinge about it.
    He's got that right!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

What the hell is a poncy fontface?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    What the hell is a poncy fontface?
    For short phrases, emphasis, or humor, not a problem. But for long continuous text any fontface or size other than the default is a pain in the ass. Many a long report which guys may have taken trouble over I don't even bother to read if it is in a less legible face, and especially if it is in one huge paragraph.

ponce (MAN) noun UK (INFORMAL and DISAPPROVING word)
    a man who does not behave, dress or speak in a traditionally male way, especially one who behaves in a very careful way:
    "Don't be such a ponce! Pick the spider up - it won't hurt you!"

poncy adjective UK (INFORMAL and DISAPPROVING word)
    "a poncy pink shirt and handbag"

Hmm. Not sure if I agree with that second example

"Ponce" also means "pimp" in the UK.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

For short phrases, emphasis, or humor, not a problem. But for long continuous text any fontface or size other than the default is a pain in the ass. Many a long report which guys may have taken trouble over I don't even bother to read if it is in a less legible face, and especially if it is in one huge paragraph.

a man who does not behave, dress or speak in a traditionally male way, especially one who behaves in a very careful way:

A very rough translation of "poncy font" for my good people here in the New World might be "faggoty font" or perhaps, if one wants to use the noun as an adjective, as is common, the more simple "faggot font" (any uptight Brits reading this should be aware that "faggot" has nothing to do with a cigarette). Those who wish to learn more about these issues - and Weyland is very perceptive about these matters for obvious reasons - should explore the thread "Weyland comes out." The lovely picture Weyland has provided certainly belongs on that other thread as well, and I think I will test my new knowledge by trying to post that picture over there.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post
    A very rough translation of "poncy font" for my good people here in the New World might be "faggoty font" or perhaps, if one wants to use the noun as an adjective, as is common, the more simple "faggot font".
    Not exactly. Ponces are not necessarily homosexual, just a bit over-fastidious and effeminate in manner. We don't have metrosexuals in the UK but if we did they might be called "ponces".

The cable guy has just been installing digital here and the program he used for testing was Agatha Christie's "Poirot". I don't know if that series is known in the US but Poirot is the Mother of all Ponces. Don't worry, he was Belgian, not British.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Not exactly. Ponces are not necessarily homosexual, just a bit over-fastidious and effeminate in manner. We don't have metrosexuals in the UK but if we did they might be called "ponces".

The cable guy has just been installing digital here and the program he used for testing was Agatha Christie's "Poirot". I don't know if that series is known in the US but Poirot is the Mother of all Ponces. Don't worry, he was Belgian, not British.
    Yes, I know it's not that simple, and also, as usual, I'm just trying to mess with you, Weyland. But those of us Americans who are unrefined (was that redundant?) - and certainly those of us who are far from being metrosexuals - may intentionally blur the distinction between "effeminate" and "gay," whether we are homophobes or not. Hence, "faggot" and "faggoty" may refer to something that is supposedly "like a fag" or "effeminate." It had become a term with a general derogatory sense, and could be used to refer to any kind of effeminate characteristics that the macho, masculine (homophobe?) might consider a likely sign of homosexuality. Similarly, young people (and I mean teenagers) here in the US now say "that's gay" when they merely mean "that's uncool" or "that's stupid" or "that's bad." Of course the term faggot is still most often used as a slur to refer to a homosexual, or "fudge-packer," to use another such term, and is far from politically correct. But there is no need to be politically correct on this board.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Very well known. I was a huge fan of the Agatha Christie books growing up. I hope that doesn't make me a ponce.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

Weyland,

I never saw the techno-geek side of you...that is a well-written procedure. The process I use for posting long-winded reports with pics is almost identical to yours. I never paste BB-code references for pics in word-processed text, rather I paste pics directly into the posting window. Captions are added on the fly as I add the pictures. I take it you include captions directly in your notepad document?
    Blue Devil

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

So Poncy guys are ok, Poncy fonts no.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,005 Times in 793 Posts

Did they change the format of this site? If they did. I hate it. I finally got used to how to navigate and now i am clusless again. I dont see any areas to make posts of trips. I no longer see the vb image host to download /upload the picstures i have to share. I tried to upload some pics by clicking on the fileupload cnter button, but, it tells me this

This file extension is prohibited
    File type you choose: jpg

How do i now include pictures in my trip report? Some4one help pls. I wanted to do this tonight as i had some time.

PS. is anyone else clicking on things here and it takes forever to load or go to whatever u clicked on? Or is it my computer?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to cainer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cainer View Post
    Did they change the format of this site? If they did. I hate it. I finally got used to how to navigate and now i am clusless again. I dont see any areas to make posts of trips. I no longer see the vb image host to download /upload the picstures i have to share. I tried to upload some pics by clicking on the fileupload cnter button, but, it tells me this

This file extension is prohibited
    File type you choose: jpg

How do i now include pictures in my trip report? Some4one help pls. I wanted to do this tonight as i had some time.

PS. is anyone else clicking on things here and it takes forever to load or go to whatever u clicked on? Or is it my computer?
    It's the new software version, we are getting a new server so bear with it a couple more days.

As for pictures, vbImageHost needs to be rewritten to work with the new software version. All your old pictures are still there as for new pictures and how to upload in the future read the following thread.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...d.php?t=151411
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

Whats a good size for posting pictures?I used the same as I did before something like 960-720 but the was too small.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

IMO 1024x768 or 1152x864
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dick Dawson For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information