Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/2004 - Current rate of exchange (Current Info)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 857 Posts

Re: DR Exchange Rate

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    another item of interest I noticed this trip was the exchange rates. ATMs were giving me 33.4 and the guys on the street in Sosua and in the cambios all tried pushing for 33. On my 2nd day I was in Charamicos and noticed a place around the corner from Caribe Tours on the main street which had a sign outside which said 33.4 for 1 USD.

They have an armed guard inside and the people are behind bulletproof glass but sure enough they gave exactly 33.4 as posted outside.

If your changing money and have the time its worth venturing into Charamicos to look at the real rate for the day and getting the proper change. I would suggest getting dropped off by moto conche at Caribe Tours and walking down the block until you see the sign then walk back and grab a moto so they dont know what your up to for extra safety.
    Sure on 100USD you lose the difference in moto conche fare 2 ways and lose the time but if your in town for a few days and want to get some change all at once at least you'll get the correct rate.

Be advised to use this place only during the daytime as it was closed after dark.

After leaving you can hit the nice bar across the street from Caribe Tours on the hill for a nice 70RD GRANDE Presidente!
    Let's see, if I change $1000US, I get an extra $400RD minus the moto conche fare, plus there's a safety issue. Thanks for the heads up, but it doesn't sound like it worth the risk to get an extra $10US.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuba Libre For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

When going to exchange $,we always go as a group . Its much safer. And whatever you do , DO NOT make any "new friends" right outside a Cambio office. This one chicha waved me over to her, just as I step outside.( this was in Boca chica) She was conveniently sitting at a table in a little restaurant directly across the street, just waiting for a sucker to come over so she could do the old grab the crotch and stick the other hand in the pocket fishing for $ trick, or who knows . but No thanks.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts

33.4 across the street from PJ's last tuesday
    Who me ? ? ?
    nahhhh . . . move along, move along . . .

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Let's see, if I change $1000US, I get an extra $400RD minus the moto conche fare, plus there's a safety issue. Thanks for the heads up, but it doesn't sound like it worth the risk to get an extra $10US.
    Theres an armed guard inside and nobody will know exactly what your doing. During the daytime that area of Charmicos is not dangerous at all. You can walk back to the main road in maybe 2 minutes.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    When going to exchange $,we always go as a group . Its much safer. And whatever you do , DO NOT make any "new friends" right outside a Cambio office. This one chicha waved me over to her, just as I step outside.( this was in Boca chica) She was conveniently sitting at a table in a little restaurant directly across the street, just waiting for a sucker to come over so she could do the old grab the crotch and stick the other hand in the pocket fishing for $ trick, or who knows . but No thanks.
    while its definitely safer to go as a group one should always use common sense while using an ATM or cambio.

Never have a moto conch drop you off in front. Get dropped off nearby and walk away. Dont let people see what your doing. When using an ATM NEVER ACCEPT HELP! Also dont let people watch and look over your shoulder. If theres suspicious people hanging around walk right on by and find another place.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,450 Times in 590 Posts

The larger supermercado on the main road always gave me 33, on the beach Tony from stall 67 got me 33 as well

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigDave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

another item of interest I noticed this trip was the exchange rates. ATMs were giving me 33.4 and the guys on the street in Sosua and in the cambios all tried pushing for 33. On my 2nd day I was in Charamicos and noticed a place around the corner from Caribe Tours on the main street which had a sign outside which said 33.4 for 1 USD.

They have an armed guard inside and the people are behind bulletproof glass but sure enough they gave exactly 33.4 as posted outside.

If your changing money and have the time its worth venturing into Charamicos to look at the real rate for the day and getting the proper change. I would suggest getting dropped off by moto conche at Caribe Tours and walking down the block until you see the sign then walk back and grab a moto so they dont know what your up to for extra safety.

Sure on 100USD you lose the difference in moto conche fare 2 ways and lose the time but if your in town for a few days and want to get some change all at once at least you'll get the correct rate.

Be advised to use this place only during the daytime as it was closed after dark.

After leaving you can hit the nice bar across the street from Caribe Tours on the hill for a nice 70RD GRANDE Presidente!
    Good call Beads, cause that is exactly where I stopped that time I was following u and those chicas in the rain on my moto, but then stopped cause of the rain. I like going thru Los Charamicos during the day also, had a few chicas I could have went with at there apts, but did not feel cool with it.
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts

Best rates last week were 33.75 @ Caribe Express in Santiago and the exchange window at WU in Sosua 33.85. At WU you are sometimes asked for ID.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

I usually go to the street guys. I assume they r at 33 right now. Think I will try the WU myself in March.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

The best rate in Sosua is Banco Santa Cruz, I got 33.95 today, the other cambios are paying 33.50/.60. The cambio right behind Chequepoint Bar in Beachway plaza also pays well.
    Let's get the job done!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MisterPink For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterPink View Post
    The best rate in Sosua is Banco Santa Cruz, I got 33.95 today, the other cambios are paying 33.50/.60. The cambio right behind Chequepoint Bar in Beachway plaza also pays well.
    Just do not go in there when a bus from the AI drops off 20 people at the CheckPoint. I was offered 33 because the guy thought i was off the bus.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guttaman View Post
    Just do not go in there when a bus from the AI drops off 20 people at the CheckPoint. I was offered 33 because the guy thought i was off the bus.
    You do look like you are from Kansas searching for Toto!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterPink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,064 Times in 774 Posts

I got 34 a few days ago in Santo Domingo at Pollo Chicken Restaurant on Calle el Conde.
    SouthCoast

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 391 Posts

I've found the smaller Playero supermercado across from PJ's gives as good a rate as most anywhere. In fact, I've used there quote to get the cambios up when they were out of enough money to change me while I was in there.

The one cambio I will never go to again is the first one you hit when you come around the corner on Pedro Clisante walking from the New Garden to the Merengue bar. He's tried to short change me twice and quoted me 30 pesos one night when the no-brainer exchange was 33. El puede comer mierda !!!!!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Choirboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Choirboy View Post
    I've found the smaller Playero supermercado across from PJ's gives as good a rate as most anywhere. In fact, I've used there quote to get the cambios up when they were out of enough money to change me while I was in there.

The one cambio I will never go to again is the first one you hit when you come around the corner on Pedro Clisante walking from the New Garden to the Merengue bar. He's tried to short change me twice and quoted me 30 pesos one night when the no-brainer exchange was 33. El puede comer mierda !!!!!
    At night the rates are always worse as they know your options are limited. If your going to exchange money at night try to only do with the least amount of money youll need. Also Fridays seem to have lower rates too. I know some people will say the difference is so small its only pennies on the dollar but some people want every peso or even 10th of a peso they can get. You should also check the rates regularly around town as if the rate gets better some guys think you wont know and give you the same rate as the last time making a little extra off your exchange.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 391 Posts

At night the rates are always worse as they know your options are limited. If your going to exchange money at night try to only do with the least amount of money youll need. Also Fridays seem to have lower rates too. I know some people will say the difference is so small its only pennies on the dollar but some people want every peso or even 10th of a peso they can get. You should also check the rates regularly around town as if the rate gets better some guys think you wont know and give you the same rate as the last time making a little extra off your exchange.
    Yes, it's always smart to exchange enough money on Friday to get you through the weekend because the rate almost invariably goes down on Saturday and Sunday.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Choirboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guttaman View Post
    Best rates last week were 33.75 @ Caribe Express in Santiago and the exchange window at WU in Sosua 33.85. At WU you are sometimes asked for ID.
    If i remember correctly there is a WU down the street ince you make a right out of NG, am I correct?
    I am planning on bring cash instead of using an ATM as much as I did on my last trip

Good Times for all..
    Just say no to WU

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Are there any places to exchange around Black Beards? Last time I was there in Nov.07, they were giving like 31, curious to see if anything is better?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,220 Times in 1,957 Posts

the supermarket Jenny I got 33.80 on 2\1 better then Sosua

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Boy View Post
    If i remember correctly there is a WU down the street ince you make a right out of NG, am I correct?
    I am planning on bring cash instead of using an ATM as much as I did on my last trip
    Crude map:

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guttaman For This Useful Post:

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information