The entire Supreme Court (SJC) has decreed that a complaint filed against Senator Wilton Guerrero for defamation of character and damages by the former prosecutor for Bani, Victor Cordero was inadmissible.
The highest tribunal took its decision on the grounds that the complaint filed by Cordero was not precise in its accusations.
The court accepted the written description of the incidents presented by Guerrero's lawyers on 27 October in which they asked for the case to be dismissed.
Upon the conclusion of the court session Cordero said that the decision "was the Chronicle of a Death Foretold", a reference to the novel by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and dismissed it as a "bundle of judicial papers" from Chief Justice Jorge Subero Isa.
He asked reporters from Hoy, "How could I have written up my accusation incorrectly when I have spent eight years in the Justice Department?"
Meanwhile Guerrero said that the high court's decision gives him the opportunity to continue to "keep the flag of values flying on high."
Cordero was represented by Juan Aybar, and Guerrero's defense team was composed of Antonio Delgado, Joan Manuel Alcantara, Rafael Paz and Miguel Angel Prestol. Referring to the decision, Delgado said that the sentences emitted by the Supreme Court in favor of Guerrero reaffirmed the right of the press to inform and obtain information, setting procedural principles of jurisprudence to protect citizens who face penal prosecution for presumed violations of the Law on public expression and diffusion of thought in an "arbitrary and dangerous manner."

More...