Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 12/2008 - Problem? Report it in this thread!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Re: Problem? Report it in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Sweet server. Good job DT. It is smoking...
    Want a comparison:

Old Server: ~90% CPU utilization
    New Server: haven't seen it go over 13%
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

I don't get email for new private messages? Did I miss another update post?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevy View Post
    I don't get email for new private messages? Did I miss another update post?
    No let me look into it.

Edit: I noticed you use a Yahoo.com email address. Ever since the server change Yahoo doesn't like our server and there has been upwards of a 12 hour delay before they accept the email and sometimes it hits the spam folder, eventhough it didn't before. I am having the same issue.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    No let me look into it.

Edit: I noticed you use a Yahoo.com email address. Ever since the server change Yahoo doesn't like our server and there has been upwards of a 12 hour delay before they accept the email and sometimes it hits the spam folder, eventhough it didn't before. I am having the same issue.

It did hit the spam, I took it out, should work now. Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

DT:

Check out Curious Dudes thread on Jaguara. It kills my computer. HUGE pics. I am sure it hammers your server.

Don't you think you should institute a max file size per image to force guys to resize there pics?? I downloaded one of CD's pics and it was 28" x 33" 72 dpi.... I know a lot of guys don't know how to do it but forcing them they will learn.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

DT:

Check out Curious Dudes thread on Jaguara. It kills my computer. HUGE pics. I am sure it hammers your server.

Don't you think you should institute a max file size per image to force guys to resize there pics?? I downloaded one of CD's pics and it was 28" x 33" 72 dpi.... I know a lot of guys don't know how to do it but forcing them they will learn.....
    EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    what he said

I mentioned it on another thread of Jimmys (with many colombia pics on one page) , but he said it might be just my computer ? but I dont think it is.
    Something else is amiss. I dont have that problem on ANY OTHER SITE.
    The pics seems to be trying to load up at FULL SIZE, lock up my computer and it takes like 5 minutes for that one thread alone to load up.
    then when the pics are finally all loaded up, they are normal size , which is fine with me.
    I dont know all the computer teminology, but this is taking up way too much time, and probably bogging down your servers as well.

IMO, this is why some of the great PICS are not even getting THANK YOU's. because the guys are not even SEEING them. Not everyone can wait 5 mins for a page to spool up.

Anyway, Thanks for all your great work you do for the site DT, we do appreciate it.
    this is just all fyi stuff, not meant to be criticism by any means.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,607 Times in 5,261 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    what he said

I mentioned it on another thread of Jimmys (with many colombia pics on one page) , but he said it might be just my computer ? but I dont think it is.
    Something else is amiss. I dont have that problem on ANY OTHER SITE.
    The pics seems to be trying to load up at FULL SIZE, lock up my computer and it takes like 5 minutes for that one thread alone to load up.
    then when the pics are finally all loaded up, they are normal size , which is fine with me.
    I dont know all the computer teminology, but this is taking up way too much time, and probably bogging down your servers as well.
    It's happened to me with Blue Devil ongoing report on Colombia as he's adding many pics in his posts too.

Same problem: computer hanging for a while as soon as I opened the thread.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gladiator For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

I don't think anybody should load pics wider than (say) 1200 pixels. They only get resized anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    I don't think anybody should load pics wider than (say) 1200 pixels. They only get resized anyway.
    Yeah that is what DT should do.. set limits. 1200 is way to wide I think. That is 16".

I disagree with Gladator on Blue Devils report. he resizes so they come out OK. It does take a while but I think we can live with that. He does have shitload of pics per page though

It is the guys that post 2400 pixel pics that kill the system.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,220 Times in 1,957 Posts

I have had the same issue

Thanks

DT:

Hunter I agree but I am not touching this one...

You missed all the business people pissed before, because I use to restrict file size due to hard drive size. Now with the larger hard drive they were happy that file size restrictions could be relaxed.

CD's pics are about 1mb each and with 30some pics you are downloading 30mb to your PC just to view the thread. As far as the server, with the new one, that much data doesn't faze it at all.

Feel free to start a new thread, maybe the people who were against the file size restrictions might chime in. I am only giving the people what they want....

Thanks

Question Re: Problem? Report it in this thread!

Don Tomas is their a way to add something to a computer to help the downloading of photo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uncle226 View Post
    Don Tomas is their a way to add something to a computer to help the downloading of photo
    Nothing to really get around file sizes. Certain things are compressed when the server "serves" it to you, but jpgs are compressed, the only way to make them smaller is to change the quality or size, which is something that needs to be done before uploading them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

I would just lower the resolution settings on the camera. Even though there are 10+ megapixel cameras out there, for mongering you really don't need anything higher than 4MP (you could even get away with 3) unless you're planning on making professional shots or making prints.

In the meantime, you can go into User CP , then Edit Options and then scroll down to Image Resizer and enter the max width and height of how you want pics displayed on here.
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Dawson View Post
    In the meantime, you can go into User CP , then Edit Options and then scroll down to Image Resizer and enter the max width and height of how you want pics displayed on here.
    True, but the full picture size is still downloaded. Actually it would load faster if you disabled the Image Resizer, but then the screen size would be skewed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,005 Times in 793 Posts

I tried yesterday to view curious dudes post and after 5 minutes of waiting for it to load, i had to control alt delete out of it. This morning, i tried again and i got a pop up saying my memory was now low. Just acessing his post, it drained all the memory out of my computer I have still yet to even read his post due to the huge lagging and i wouldnt dare give him a thnk you due to it reloading and id have to wait another 5 minutes

I also had long waits in viewing bluedevils trip report(as mentioned by another member here) After waiting a minute or two for the page to load, i was finally able to view the post. Then i gave a ty and i had to wait another 1 minute for it to reload again. Then if i gave another ty on the same thread, id again have to wait another 1 minute, as the page completely reloads after each ty.

I think i am done giving thank you,s until something gets fixed.

Thanks

cainer i got the same pop up and had to shut down my computer I tried what Dick Dawson said to do but it was of little help thank for trying to help Dick any other suggestion help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cainer View Post
    I tried yesterday to view curious dudes post and after 5 minutes of waiting for it to load, i had to control alt delete out of it. This morning, i tried again and i got a pop up saying my memory was now low. Just acessing his post, it drained all the memory out of my computer I have still yet to even read his post due to the huge lagging and i wouldnt dare give him a thnk you due to it reloading and id have to wait another 5 minutes

I also had long waits in viewing bluedevils trip report(as mentioned by another member here) After waiting a minute or two for the page to load, i was finally able to view the post. Then i gave a ty and i had to wait another 1 minute for it to reload again. Then if i gave another ty on the same thread, id again have to wait another 1 minute, as the page completely reloads after each ty.

I think i am done giving thank you,s until something gets fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle226 View Post
    cainer i got the same pop up and had to shut down my computer I tried what Dick Dawson said to do but it was of little help thank for trying to help Dick any other suggestion help
    As I mentioned about Dick Dawson's post, the huge image file still downloads to your PC no matter what your Image Resizer settings. This is all on Curious Dude and people wanting no file size limits of pictures.

I got the same memory error on my laptop, it's just a huge amount of data.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 1,585 Posts

Holy shit, guys! I'm terribly sorry. I had no idea that my pictures were too big until I just saw this thread after being alerted to the problem you guys have had reading my thread on stuff around the Jaragua Hotel in Santo Domingo. I just tried to read that thread from home computer and I see what you mean. I will try to resize the photos and upload them again and re-do my thread ASAP.

Sorry for blowing up your computers.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas View Post
    As I mentioned about Dick Dawson's post, the huge image file still downloads to your PC no matter what your Image Resizer settings. This is all on Curious Dude and people wanting no file size limits of pictures.

I got the same memory error on my laptop, it's just a huge amount of data.
    There is no sane argument to allow what Curisou Dude did.

Sheer logic says you have to restrict picture file size somewhat. Maybe restrict it to 200K each pic. Every other board has this restriction...it only makes sense.

Just my 2 cents.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information