Thread: Questions about SDQ Airport Gua-Gua

Thanks
    Thanked 3,909 Times in 470 Posts

Question Questions about SDQ Airport Gua-Gua

Hello folks,

I have read in an old post about adiiferent way to get from Las Americas airport.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...ead.php?t=3233

Has anyone used the Gua-Gua lately? And if so, where does it drop you off in Santo Domingo?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to slipheed For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: Questions about SDQ Airport Gua-Gua

Hey Slipheed! If I remember correctly, this is your first trip to Santo Domingo. Is that correct? If so, IMO, you should stick to the more traditional means of travel in Santo Domingo.

The text you read about using taxis on the top floor is good solid advice. But remember, this advice is given by members that could walk around Santo Domingo blindfolded and still be OK. I have never taken the bus from the airport, so, I can not speak intelligently about this. But, think of this. How much would you pay to avoid any BS that could happen to you? The $30.00 dollars it will cost you will not only buy you a ride to your hotel, but it will also buy you peace of mind. You can read one of my post on the subject here http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...876#post506876

Now, how good is your Spanish? If you are fluent, then you might be good to take a stab at the local taxis dropping off upstairs. If you do not speak Spanish or your Spanish is not strong, please, don't even attempt this. They are going to know right away you are a novice to Santo Domingo and they too will try and take advantage of you.

I never knock anybody for trying to save money. But I am asking you to think it through before you get yourself into trouble. Dig deep and give up the $30.00. You will arrive at your hotel in one piece and ready to hit the streets. Get to know the SDQ system first before you try and beat it. My two cents

No matter what decision you make, REMEMBER THIS! THERE ARE PICK POCKETS THROUGHOUT THE AIRPORT! If they see you wandering around, they will try you. Keep your wallet in your front pocket.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vincent Vega For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,086 Times in 688 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slipheed View Post
    Hello folks,

I have read in an old post about adiiferent way to get from Las Americas airport.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...ead.php?t=3233

Has anyone used the Gua-Gua lately? And if so, where does it drop you off in Santo Domingo?
    If you have alot of luggage forget the bus.....I travel with just a knap sack now just so I can beat these bastard's at there own game. They only charge a dom 7 buck's to go to BOCA CHICA and 25 buck's for gringo's, total rip.... The santa dom bus take's you to ave febuary 27 then make's a left turn that's were I get off to go to carribe tour's I jump on a moped 20pesos to get there or 50 pesos to go further to plaza central mall which both are on ave febuary 27... Going to el conde you have to get off way before you hit ave feb 27 you get off at where you see villa mella and there's a small bridge and take a moped there 50 pesos. The buse's are way to small and way to crowded to fit any type of luggage........Be like cheeno and spend the 30 buck's for a cab

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Badabing For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

What Gua Gua are you guys talking about? There's no buses from the Airport to SD!

Take the escalator upstairs, grab a taxi on the departure level. You may have to wait for a few minutes, but you can usually negotiate a good deal with them, since it means they won't have to deadhead back to the city..
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,086 Times in 688 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    What Gua Gua are you guys talking about? There's no buses from the Airport to SD!
    Take the escalator upstairs, grab a taxi on the departure level. You may have to wait for a few minutes, but you can usually negotiate a good deal with them, since it means they won't have to deadhead back to the city..

No there's not one, you have to exit where all the car rental's exit and there's a bunch of moped's there that will take you a half a mile to LAS AMERICAS HIGHWAY where you can catch the bus to santa dom...

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Badabing For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dondi135 View Post
    No there's not one, you have to exit where all the car rental's exit and there's a bunch of moped's there that will take you a half a mile to LAS AMERICAS HIGHWAY where you can catch the bus to santa dom...
    Right, brother. I was getting the impression the OP felt he could walk out of the airport and get on a bus. That's not the case.

Las Americas Autopista is far enough that you don't want to try to walk it..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Question Re: Questions about SDQ Airport Gua-Gua

Ah, so about a half mile down the road is a bus stop? or bus station?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slipheed View Post
    Ah, so about a half mile down the road is a bus stop? or bus station?

Sorry, my friend, no bus stops. You stand along the side of the highway, and when you see one coming, stick your finger in the air. They'll either stop, or they won't.

They pass frequently, so if you see a few people standing by the highway waiting, they're waiting for the bus. Stand with them(after you ask if they're going to SD)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Sorry, my friend, no bus stops. You stand along the side of the highway, and when you see one coming, stick your finger in the air. They'll either stop, or they won't.

They pass frequently, so if you see a few people standing by the highway waiting, they're waiting for the bus. Stand with them(after you ask if they're going to SD)
    Thanks MrHappy.
    I've seen lots of these buses so far. How do I know where they go?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 355 Posts

You Ask....

Normally, the Cobrador? (the guy hanging out the side, collecting money) will inform you of the destination as the bus stops/approaches. Or you can always state your destination and see if his nods in agreement or not.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Juggles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

If you have alot of luggage forget the bus.....I travel with just a knap sack now just so I can beat these bastard's at there own game. They only charge a dom 7 buck's to go to BOCA CHICA and 25 buck's for gringo's, total rip.... The santa dom bus take's you to ave febuary 27 then make's a left turn that's were I get off to go to carribe tour's I jump on a moped 20pesos to get there or 50 pesos to go further to plaza central mall which both are on ave febuary 27... Going to el conde you have to get off way before you hit ave feb 27 you get off at where you see villa mella and there's a small bridge and take a moped there 50 pesos. The buse's are way to small and way to crowded to fit any type of luggage........Be like cheeno and spend the 30 buck's for a cab
    Cheeno, are you still paying $30 for cabs????

21. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,007 Times in 3,410 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Cheeno, are you still paying $30 for cabs????

Hey psriches

I have been renting cars for the past two years. I no longer take cabs.

Dondi is upset at me because I called him while he was having sex with a girl a few days ago.

Isn't that right Dondi?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheeno For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

I use taxis in Santo Domingo. It's cheaper and I have reliable drivers. I hate driving in places where everyone drives like a lunatic. I won't drive in Miami if don't have to, either. I'm usually riding with someone else so the impact isn't that bad and I don't have to worry about traffic, parking, accidents or carjackings. $30 to the airport split four ways is far more acceptable than $45/day, especially on days when I call out for delivery.

I took the bus from Sto. Dgo. to Higuey once......once! It was a scenic ride but scary as fuck. I remember turning a road cut into the side of a mountain with a 1,000' sheer precipice on my window side and half the bus' wheels weren't touching the ground as we rounded the curve around that mountain. I felt a lot more comfortable on the flight back.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following User Says Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Thread Information