Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying vs Building a house in DR?

Thanks

Buying vs Building a house in DR?

Jimmy,

I had a question about the house you are building: Why have you chosen that path??
    I was browsing some realtors sites for houses in Sosua and they seem to be fairly cheap. Why have you chosen to build yourself instead of buying existing property??

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts
    I paid $3,000 for the land. First floor will cost about $18,000-$22,000. Second floor which will have 3 1 bedroom apartments will cost me about $30,000. Total cost will be about $55,000. Where can I get that?

Thanks
    But can you be sure that will be the cost? Won't it end up more expensive? Like now with the shitty exchange rate? Or builders not finishing in time or within budget?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jd_mine
    But can you be sure that will be the cost? Won't it end up more expensive? Like now with the shitty exchange rate? Or builders not finishing in time or within budget?
    I have the land and I am not a poor ex pat. I will purchase all material on my credit card, lock it up on my land and they will build it within 2 months. I just pay for labor. Where can I get a house for $25,000 with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths?

Thanks
    You can't, I know. I'm just thinking about the risks. I'm thinking about doing something like this myself, but building seemed like a risk, especially if you're not there yourself.

Thanks
    You can't, I know. I'm just thinking about the risks. I'm thinking about doing something like this myself, but building seemed like a risk, especially if you're not there yourself.
    I am with my novia 4 years now and its for us and her two kids. Neither of us can sell it and the kids will have a place to grow up in.

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Q & A Man
    I have the land and I am not a poor ex pat. I will purchase all material on my credit card, lock it up on my land and they will build it within 2 months. I just pay for labor. Where can I get a house for $25,000 with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths?

I know I know... THe Dominican Republic!
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

Thanks

build a house

i went through all this. my objective was 'an economic but solid house' (hey i AM a poor expat.....). and i got it. the same way as jimmy mentioned: buy the material, just pay the labor.
    now, there ARE certain risks: material gets stolen, the maestro cheats you on labor cost and/ or quality.
    i fired the maestro 3 times, got him back 'cause there was no better chap.

you will get through with nerves of steel and a certain relaxed fatalism, when 90 degree angels turn out to be a bit more ore less......

Thanks
    I was considering buying an apartment in Club Residencial or Caribe Campo. But if I can build a house for under 30K, that seems to be a better deal. I plan to see Jimmy's subdivision while there.

Hey Jimmy.....if someone is planning to purchase land in your neighborhood. Should he wait til the peso gets weaker or will the owner take dollars?

How much of the land does the guy you purchased from own?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrick
    I was considering buying an apartment in Club Residencial or Caribe Campo. But if I can build a house for under 30K, that seems to be a better deal. I plan to see Jimmy's subdivision while there.

Hey Jimmy.....if someone is planning to purchase land in your neighborhood. Should he wait til the peso gets weaker or will the owner take dollars?

How much of the land does the guy you purchased from own?
    The land is going FAST and he deals in pesos only. I will be there in a few days. Another Ex Pat has bought a 1,000 meter piece there.

300 meters were 100,000 pesos.

Thanks

building a house

Hi Guys

I want to build a house in the Sosua area but am still at the very preliminary stages of my research. have seen JDR's land in the post as well as talked to several others in general terms about my interest

One of JDR's post mention the land in his neighborhood is going quickly - Does anyone have direct contact information with this seller?

Does anyone know of other opportunities? At this juncture, I'm limiting myself to either an intown location or expat community

Additionally, Since I know I want to invest in the country, does anyone have suggestion for a banking or other similar relationship? If I make a decision on a purchase, I would think that it would be necessary to close quickly or minimally put up a deposit and don't want to carry around 5-10k in negotiable instruments beyond my mongering $. Or is this US thinking?

Any ideas would be welcome
    B

Thanks
    buy or build: if you are a newbe, buy one, there are opportunities if you take a bit of your time. there are bunches of real estaters, but watch out. i got one top address, if you want it, i mail it directly, i am not in advertising here, lol...
    banks: you may open a pesos account without preliminaries, 500 pesos minimum, you may get a ATM card, works very well here, i never carry cash, get my dayly pesos at any machine, but ONLY in pesos.
    you will open an US$ account too: if you are not a resident, the bank will ask you for a recommendation letter of your bank back home. minimum is 500 $.
    you may use your ATM card from back home, too, but only pesos withdraws, i got no idea about exchange rates applied.
    transfers may be done to both kind of accounts. my experience is: US$ take ~3 - 5 days, pesos up to two weeks. ask for the transfer costs.
    i work with PROGRESSO and POPULAR. perhaps you like rather a branch of a foreign group: SCOTIABANK (ca) is well represented, on the north coast too. city bank, as i know in santo domingo and likekly santiago.

please acknowledge: i am no professional estate or finance chap, i only gathered my knowledge through living here.

Thanks
    Remember, people are famous for selling land they do not own, so be very careful.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker
    Remember, people are famous for selling land they do not own, so be very careful.
    you called it rite, thats why i only trust very few here. and NEVER trust a lawyer.

Thanks

buy or build

Thanks Guys!

I appreciate the input!

I will take my time and be careful. I am not in any big rush.

Domfan - please forward the realtors address to bd_od@hotmail.com

I think you said I need a letter of credit for the banks?? I'll see if Bank of America (holder of several of my accounts) has any associations with the local banks. If not, I'll check out the ones you mention

Thanks

Thanks
    Today phase #1. The foundation gets laid.

Thanks

moving further out away from Sosua/Cabarete

how much does land, etc. go out there...say 1hr from POP airport and 30mins from Cabarete?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Re: moving further out away from Sosua/Cabarete

Quote Originally Posted by BXmonger
    how much does land, etc. go out there...say 1hr from POP airport and 30mins from Cabarete?
    how much are you willing to spend? silly question i know. there are prices to fit almost any budget, from $3-10 a square metre to sky's the limit. in many areas the prices seem to be rising quickly and there are also many areas that appear bargains. only you know what you are really looking for but buyer beware really applies there.

jimmydr or escottdr are the first 2 on here that i'd ask.
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

Thanks

NO IDEA!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDR
    NO IDEA!
    Actually I am confused about the location...1hr from POP going east is about 30 minutes past Cabarete! Unless he is talking 30 mins east of Cabarete.
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information