Thread: New scam for motorists

Thanks

New scam for motorists

I did a "circle tour" from Sosua 3 days ago, primarily to check out Samana, Santo Domingo and cruise the countryside. I am accustomed to being stopped by police/military types for their alleged "spot checks", but here's a new slant on that theme. Somewhere between Nagua and Samana, my chica of the trip and I encoutered what first appeared to be a couple of Dominicans removing trees and brush that had fallen into the roadway. However much to my chagrin, they had actually pulled the debris onto the highway blocking one lane and strung a rope across the other lane, with one end tied to a telephone pole and the other end held up by a Dominican hombre. They were attempting to stop all traffic and charge a "toll" to pass. Well didn't my chica get her "knickers in a twist" over this, especially trying to scam her out of my money! She got out of the car and laid a superb tongue lashing on the couple; needless to say we passed without paying anything!
    Soy un zorro en una jauria de perros

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Downtown For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

Re: New scam for motorists

What a scam!! I'd like to know what she said.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,418 Times in 1,349 Posts

It wasnt a "strike" or a ( please excuse spelling ) helgua?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thunderstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have never heard of this being done in the campo but it is a common practice in the poor barrio's of Santo Domingo. Especially during the Christmas season. If you are driving around the area of the Zoo during Christmas, you can expect to be stopped by young men and boys with a rope stretched across the road who will then demand money so that they can use it to "decorate" their barrio.

During this time, my novia always keeps coins available to pay the "toll". She explains that it is tradition. We were stopped near the Zoo one day and she threw them a 10 peso coin and off we went. Once, on the way back, we were stopped again in the same spot. My novia told them that they had already stopped us once before and she had already paid them. They immediately dropped the rope to the ground and we passed by. It was very clear this was more of a game than actual robbery. I hate to be ripped off! But this didn't feel that way. It was kind of funny to tell the truth. Hey Downtown. Were the men who stopped you serious and forceful?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vincent Vega For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

Yes very popular "game" in many Barrios. Most often it is kids doing it. I had this happen in Villa Mella but I was in ataxi and they just let us pass.

Quote Originally Posted by wmarks345 View Post
    I have never heard of this being done in the campo but it is a common practice in the poor barrio's of Santo Domingo. Especially during the Christmas season. If you are driving around the area of the Zoo during Christmas, you can expect to be stopped by young men and boys with a rope stretched across the road who will then demand money so that they can use it to "decorate" their barrio.

During this time, my novia always keeps coins available to pay the "toll". She explains that it is tradition. We were stopped near the Zoo one day and she threw them a 10 peso coin and off we went. Once, on the way back, we were stopped again in the same spot. My novia told them that they had already stopped us once before and she had already paid them. They immediately dropped the rope to the ground and we passed by. It was very clear this was more of a game than actual robbery. I hate to be ripped off! But this didn't feel that way. It was kind of funny to tell the truth. Hey Downtown. Were the men who stopped you serious and forceful?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

If its KIDS and they are only asking for pocket change, hey I would just give it to them and smile.
    Esp around the holidays. I doubt they would really try to pull a Scam,for bigger $ because sooner or later they would encounter the wrong people and they know it .

I would happily just give them the change and smile and wave. We are lucky and fortunate enough that we CAN help these kids out. Dont sweat it.
    We gave a kid who was selling nuts in those glass jars on the roadside stand a 500 peso note( like a 300 tip), so he was freaking out, cause he thought it must be counterfeit or something, TGTBT, so we changed it to 5 , 100 peso notes instead and he was happy as a clam with a big smile on his face. Ya gotta love the Kids.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiger89 View Post
    What a scam!! I'd like to know what she said.

Me too! Actually I wish I got out and listened in. However, she said wait in the car, so all I saw was a rapid fire verbal assault combined with some heavy duty gesturing!
    Last edited by Downtown; 01-09-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstar View Post
    It wasnt a "strike" or a ( please excuse spelling ) helgua?
    No my friend, it wasn't a "huelga", just an enterprising couple trying to make some quick dinero.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Hey its a rental just drive on through. If they insist on holding the rope they won't be able to make that mistake a second time if your driving fast enough!
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wmarks345 View Post

No not really! Although insistent, they were no match for my chica's forceful verbal volley!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    Hey its a rental just drive on through. If they insist on holding the rope they won't be able to make that mistake a second time if your driving fast enough!
    That's precisely what all my friends in Sosua said after I described the incident. Even my chica suggested doing that at the time. Just my concern was what would happen to the hombre (he was in his late 20's or early 30's) if he didn't let go of the rope and got injured. The car and any ensuing damage to it was never an issue in my mind.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 716 Posts

I've driven over the Loma at least 20-30 times and at least a half a dozen times, kids and sometimes their mothers pull this game with a rope across the road. If you don't slow down, they usually just drop it before you hit it. When it's just kids, I usualy give them a few coins or candies. I've had it happen randomly in Santiago barrios also but with a chain and larger mixed groups of people. They claim they are raising money for one thing or another. Sometimes charity for someone in the neighborhood, sometimes neighborhood improvements.
    Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KoKi9290 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,086 Times in 688 Posts

I drove to Hato Mayor I when I got there the family I went to see took me outside to show me there windshield was broken by a gang who wanted money for them to past there barrio they didn't give it to them and they damaged there car and the uncle sped off. He told me he was just taking a short cut to get home faster and they warned me to be careful

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Badabing For This Useful Post:

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

We have that same scam here.It's called a Toll Road.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Me too! Actually I wish I got out and listened in. However, she said wait in the car, so all I saw was a rapid fire verbal assault combined with some heavy duty gesturing!

When those dominican chicas get on a roll they are really fun to watch. I don't know what the hell they are saying half the time and I neverwant to be on the receiving end of it.

I'm a short timer!!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoseman View Post
    We have that same scam here.It's called a Toll Road.
    nicely done. , Yes, Its called the whole state of NEW JERSEY.

people here are numb to it all, but when a person from another part of the country comes to visit, its the FIRST thing they notice.
    "do you guys have to pay a toll every time you leave your driveway" ?
    " Pretty much."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,768 Times in 930 Posts

I seen this happen at Classicos but the rope was a pair of titties and the toll was a cigarette
    traveling the world in search of chicas, good friends and liveing life as if every day were my last

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bentwire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KoKi9290 View Post
    I've driven over the Loma at least 20-30 times and at least a half a dozen times, kids and sometimes their mothers pull this game with a rope across the road. If you don't slow down, they usually just drop it before you hit it. When it's just kids, I usualy give them a few coins or candies. I've had it happen randomly in Santiago barrios also but with a chain and larger mixed groups of people. They claim they are raising money for one thing or another. Sometimes charity for someone in the neighborhood, sometimes neighborhood improvements.
    I would try to stay away from areas like this and if I ran into a group of adults with a chain I would probably turn around and go back. If the area looks like I shouldn't be in there its probably best not to push my luck if there's no real reason to be there.

By stopping your vehicle at all in an area like that especially during the night you run the risk of being carjacked , mugged, or who knows what else. I would try to not stop the car by any means if at all possible in a bad area.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts

I drive a big Montero and they are quick to drop the rope when they see me comin...

Thread Information