Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wanted weird information :) how much you tip the maids?

Thanks

Re: wanted weird information :) how much you tip the maids?

I have my own appartment in Sosua, but when I'm traveling to Santiago, Santodomingo, or stays overnight at Rio San Juan or Puerto Plata, I usually leave a 100 peso note on the pillow every morning.
    I have got some blow jobs of a made at one hotel, and have tipped a little extra for that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vagabond For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by prtyr2 View Post
    Jimbo I guess it has been awhile since your last trip? I have not seen a 10 or 20 peso note in months. In fact it can be hard to find 50 peso notes. They have new coins for 10 pesos and 25 pesos. In the past I never walked around with any change on me. Now I may keep 100 pesos or so in change on me as taxi drivers either don't or just say they don't so they can keep the change.
    For the very reason that I don't like carrying around a bunch of coins, I usually leave whatever coins I have accumulated during the day for the maid. Especially at NG, I tip daily and if I haven't at least 30P, I'll leave a 50P note. For that, I've always received extra towels and whatever else I've requested. (Like making sure the room is immaculate before the novia shows up in the morning after a night with another chica) As well, a number of times either myself (one time my entire dop kit) or the novia (jewelry and clothes) left something behind and the maids kept it for me until the next time I was there. Unless you are a regular, it would seem the better practice to tip daily anywhere so as to maximize your benefit.
    Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KoKi9290 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

I typically leave 200 pesos. Once, I only had enough pesos for the taxi, so I left the maid some candy and some cosmetic knicknacks. She was VERY pleased.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

$5 a day is cool, but I always ask for extra stuff like towels and they always hook me up.
    I've offended you.....goood

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 273 Posts

I guess I tip too much!!!!!!!!!
    "The Brinks Truck Never Follows The Hearse"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to howudoen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I never give anything to beggers or hustlers, but think it's okay to give a little extra to people who does a honest work for a rather lousy payment.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vagabond For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

I was down there in Nov. and recall having plenty of 20 and 50 peso notes. I just looked in my DR wallet and ther is 2300 pesos which include three 50 peso notes.

Quote Originally Posted by prtyr2 View Post
    Jimbo I guess it has been awhile since your last trip? I have not seen a 10 or 20 peso note in months. In fact it can be hard to find 50 peso notes. They have new coins for 10 pesos and 25 pesos. In the past I never walked around with any change on me. Now I may keep 100 pesos or so in change on me as taxi drivers either don't or just say they don't so they can keep the change.
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 470 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I have got some blow jobs of a made at one hotel, and have tipped a little extra for that.

If a bj doesn't merit a tip, I don't know what the hell will
    I'm out for dead Presidentes to represent me...

Thanks

I left $20.00 (USD) on my last trip and I also left some nuggets in the fridge. I never like those coins! I always leave them on the table.
    Searching for the ultimate Squirter!

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

I always wanted to fuck the maids for the simple fact that they're the maids and that's a turn-on for me, just like how i've always wanted to fuck every nurse i've ever had whenever i was in a hospital.

Having said that, i've never even approached a DR maid because i feel like that would make me the asshole American assuming every woman down there will fuck you for money and i don't want to be that guy.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastallstar View Post
    $5 a day is cool, but I always ask for extra stuff like towels and they always hook me up.
    $5 a day is my average throughout the Caribbean. It's a way of letting them know that you appreciate them. They occasionally find condom wrappers, errant thongs, cum stains, sheets all fucked up or every glass in the place dirty and they will provide extras upon request like face cloths (a rarety in the D.R.), extra towel sets (for multi puta nights) and once I had one take my pants to the laundry for a new zipper (extra $70RD).

These women are an indispensible asset to the successful Dominican vacation and $5 is a good standard tip.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 287 Posts

Before I leave for the DR I get $50 in ones. That
    way I can tip easy (at ~RD$35 a pop) to
    bartenders/waitresses/etc if I want to. It's small
    but I get much better service and I don't waste
    time with the problem of finding RD$50 bills and
    RD$25 coins that the merchants try to make you
    think are in such short supply. The excess I can
    spend when I get back on soda pop/etc. $1-2
    per day goes to the maid if the service is good.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Want them to REALLY remember you? Go to the bank and get some $2 dollar bills, and hand those out for tips.

People NEVER forget that guy that gave them the two dollar bill.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Want them to REALLY remember you? Go to the bank and get some $2 dollar bills, and hand those out for tips.

I thought this was more of Mr Happy's dry humor as there is no such thing as a two-dollar bill. I certainly can never remember seeing one.

However on checking with Wikipedia I found this is not just a misconception by a sad old Brit:

Taco Bell
    In a story, documented on Snopes.com, a Taco Bell patron attempted to pay for a burrito with a two-dollar bill. The cashier and the store manager both refused to accept it as valid U.S. currency, believing that there was no such thing as a two-dollar bill. When the patron then said that the only other bill he had was a fifty-dollar bill, the manager said that since it was less than an hour to closing, he didn't want to open the safe. When the patron insisted on paying with it, they called the security guard, who then explained that two-dollar bills are actually valid U.S. currency.

Others have written in to Snopes to report similar incidents at other restaurants.

Best Buy
    In February 2005, a patron of Best Buy attempted to pay for an electronics installation with 57 $2 bills. The cashier refused to accept them and marked them as counterfeit. The cashier then called the police, and the patron was handcuffed until a U.S. Treasury Agent arrived to clear up the issue. The suspicion was supposedly caused by ink smearing on the bills, which is not uncommon, and by the fact that the serial numbers on the bills were in sequential order.

So be smart, don't take Mr Happy's advice or you might find yourself handcuffed and spending the night in a Dominican jail. Or as many nights as it takes for a US Treasury Agent to get to you.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

I tend to tip daily if I have change. This can range from 100RD to $5USD depending upon the condition of the room. If the room is a mess I feel she deserves something extra for doing more than changing the sheets, making the bed, replenishing towels and toilet paper, and emptying my garbage.

Sometimes I leave a room in a mess. Also if I ask for extra towels or anything extra I need I never have a problem.

I also realize a lot of these cleaning ladies rely on their daily tips to make ends meet. Their actual pay is generally for large bills like rent and such. The daily tips are what puts either a crappy meal on the table or a good one.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I don't waste
    time with the problem of finding RD$50 bills and
    RD$25 coins that the merchants try to make you
    think are in such short supply.

By the way it is not just something that the merchants make you believe, it is truly hard to find change in the Dominican Republic.

A while back a friend who owned a bar in Sosua had to go back to the States for a little more than a week. He didn't want to close his bar and asked if I minded working it for him, while he was gone. I agreed he went over everything with me, and showed me where to go for the daily change runs, the gas stations etc. Let me tell you some afternoons before opening when I would try to procure change for that evening activities were extremely difficult. I would have to drive all over town, and sometimes to the next town just to try and find a little change, so that when somebody came in and their bill was 140 rd and they gave you a 500 peso note you had some change to give him back.

The guys that have been there a long time for example Herman at Siempre Sol, everyday would have his change guy come by and bring him a specific amount of change. I don't know how much this guy charged Herman for that service but I can assure you whatever it was, it was worth it.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post

...another great tipping currency is the $1 "golden" coin. Don't have any? Just go to any USPS stamp machine and pay for a single stamp with a $20. You'll get 19 of them with your change. I had a pocketful of these on my last Mexico trip and before I got out of the airport there were a half dozen Mexicans walking around holding these things up to the light and scratching their heads.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,005 Times in 793 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    ...another great tipping currency is the $1 "golden" coin. Don't have any? Just go to any USPS stamp machine and pay for a single stamp with a $20. You'll get 19 of them with your change. I had a pocketful of these on my last Mexico trip and before I got out of the airport there were a half dozen Mexicans walking around holding these things up to the light and scratching their heads.
    Arent foriegn currency coins useless in these countries?

Everytime i leave The DR, i always trade with the luggage guys their Canadian $1 and $2 coins for DR currency.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

We're not talking about using these currencies to purchase things, although they ARE legal tender.

I said to use them as TIPS!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    By the way it is not just something that the merchants make you believe, it is truly hard to find change in the Dominican Republic.

A while back a friend who owned a bar in Sosua had to go back to the States for a little more than a week. He didn't want to close his bar and asked if I minded working it for him, while he was gone. I agreed he went over everything with me, and showed me where to go for the daily change runs, the gas stations etc. Let me tell you some afternoons before opening when I would try to procure change for that evening activities were extremely difficult. I would have to drive all over town, and sometimes to the next town just to try and find a little change, so that when somebody came in and their bill was 140 rd and they gave you a 500 peso note you had some change to give him back.

The guys that have been there a long time for example Herman at Siempre Sol, everyday would have his change guy come by and bring him a specific amount of change. I don't know how much this guy charged Herman for that service but I can assure you whatever it was, it was worth it.
    That was during the period of time there was a coin shortage here. You couldn't even buy them in the banks.

The problem has since been resolved. There are now more coins than people know what to do with..

For those of us that live here, it's a blessing. I have to go through a minimum of two toll booths a day, at 30 pesos a pop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information