Watching Breakfast on Pluto last week, I nearly fell off my futon when Neil Jordan had his heroine, Kitten, whisked off the streets by a kindly gentleman -- and no, not like girls usually get 'saved' -- so that she can go to work instead for a "a sisterhood of girls" at a co-operative peep show in Soho.

Had Neil come, unknown to us, through our hallowed booths (and in some hollowed(-out) tissues, too, but loads of history go with them), the against-all-odds jack shack that's become my second home?

I'd just never questioned that the Lusty Lady came first -- but sure enough, in 1985, a group of women formed a peep show collective in London:

"But at the bottom end of Wardour Street the pickings were not so great and the man who owned the peep-show there packed it in after making a loss. That provided the opportunity the ladies sought and they took over the premises themselves, painted the place in pastel pink and opened it up for the punters."

And of course, tranny-femme-lovin' lad that he is, Mr. Jordan recreated this peep show for his film:

"..I did come across a peepshow that was run by a co-operative of women, absolutely. It was designed to keep the girls safe from disease and addiction, and safe from pimps. They ran it themselves, it was wonderful. It was an erotic wonderland really, they used to sit on this extravagantly dressed swing, kind of like you see it in the film. I recreated it totally, that place did exist."

Trouble is, I can't find a record of the name of the place anywhere! I got the tip at all off of Wikipedia, but that one article (and its reprints webwide) are all I've got to go on. Do I have a ground crew on this one? Anybody game for a treasure hunt in Soho? Do report back, please!

Link To Original Article