Thread: Dominican Taxi Rates

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

Dominican Taxi Rates

I posted in October about a Dominicano getting a RD$300 ride from Santiago to Puerto Plata. I have now heard a new low!

I was told that the Dominicano rate from Las Americas Santo Domingo airport to Santiago is RD$800-1000, yes that's PESOS! :shock:

Note: I checked the Taxi board before we left at POP, POP to SD was US$150!

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 41,237 Times in 7,792 Posts

Re: Dominican Taxi Rates

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas
    I posted in October about a Dominicano getting a RD$300 ride from Santiago to Puerto Plata. I have now heard a new low!

I was told that the Dominicano rate from Las Americas Santo Domingo airport to Santiago is RD$800-1000, yes that's PESOS! :shock:

Wrong!

Gas is 87 pesos a gallon and thats a 200 mile RT at least. Gas cost between 750-900 pesos easily.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker

Wrong!

Gas is 87 pesos a gallon and thats a 200 mile RT at least. Gas cost between 750-900 pesos easily.
    Just relaying what I was told by a couple and the guy travels to the states often and that is what he pays when he comes back to town. I see no reason he would have been yanking my chain.

Please note you don't pay for R/T taxi costs in NYC do you? If you take a taxi from Manhattan to Brooklyn do you pay for his gas back to Manhattan? Why would a Dominicano pay for a R/T fare in the DR?

Also most Taxis are Toyota Corollas that get 30mpg on bad days, 100/30*90pesos=about RD$300, RD$500 profit not to bad if I say so!

Thanks
    He has to get back to SD and he includes that cost. Is is working 5 hours for 100 pesos?

Thanks

Please note you don't pay for R/T taxi costs in NYC do you? If you take a taxi from Manhattan to Brooklyn do you pay for his gas back to Manhattan? Why would a Dominicano pay for a R/T fare in the DR?
    You are comparing 8 miles to 125 miles?

Thanks
    The guy in question actually said his Free Trade Zone employed regularly contracts the rate DT mentioned for their travelers...

The guy has lived and worked there FT for 4 years, and seemed to know what he was talking about.

Plus, my novia's friend-this guys friend also-confirmed it.

Pricing in the DR sometimes makes no sense.

Thanks

I am comparing about the same amount in gasoline usage and time.

A Ford Crown Vic with a V8 going 4mph on average in NY traffic taking about the same 2 hours, seriously New Yorkers how long is a cab ride that is 8 miles long from Manhattan to Brooklyn?
    VS.
    A Toyota Corolla going highway speeds for 90% of the trip and making it in the same 2 hours.

He also did say if I didn't want to trust a SD taxi I could pay about RD$1500 and Apollo taxi from Santiago would come get me. Then I would be chipping in for STI-SDQ gas.

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

true... but dont you think the dominican taxi gets some work to go back to SDQ with... im sure he doesnt just make the trip without making money... and then again the average salary in the DR is 5000 pesos a month isnt it... so if he makes 500 peso profit a day then i think its good for him...

Also a trip from brooklyn to manhattan doesnt take 2 hours... without traffic it will take 20 minutes with traffic the most it has ever taken me was a lil over an hour... as for getting to POP from SDQ in 2 hours i would bet my life it cant be done!
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

Thanks
    The average wage for unskilled labor in the DR may be RD$5000, but many, many make much more.

Our lunch hostess Sunday makes RD$25,000, and she is a low level supervisor for a Free Zone company.

Go to the cities where the toruist trade is minimal. Look around. No way all those businesses, large and small, could survive if the average wage was RD$5000.

The "fact" that everybody in the DR makes RD$5000 is their equivalent of an Urban Legend, swallowed hook, line, and sinker by tourists.

Do not for a moment think everybody in the DR is dirt poor. It just ain't so.

Get out of the North coast and the typical whoremongering areas. You'll find the DR is not what you think it is...

Thanks
    I have been around Santaigo and there are neiborhoods full of "Poor Folks".

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts
    I've been around a lot of places.. quite a few of the people live on less than DR$ 5,000 a month. But don't pay for electricity and other public services... have their own house in the campo and grow some food there too, mayhep a few chicken and sometimes a pig..

Thanks
    I know everyone is not poor RD... i have a friend that lives in STI (dominican) and he has a BMW truck a Lincoln truck... the Rav4 he lends us and a business... He has more then I do here thats for sure... one thing though if you are rich you are rich but if you are poor you are piss fuckin poor

Thanks
    There is much povertry in the DR. But not all are poor by DR standards.

I just keep hearing all this Bravo Sierra like everybody makes US$150-200 a month, and we're the big heros coming in like white knights with gringo currency.

Yes, there are poor neighborhoods on Santiago and every city in the country. But there are many upscale and middle class neighborhoods, too. Some of the shopping centers and food stores I've been in are larger and just as nice as any huge department store in the US, and you can get just about anything there as the US.

Just be aware and knowledgable. It's not as wealthy as the US (who is?), but it is not destitute like many Third World countries.

Thanks
    RD... in USD... what would you consider what a poor middle class and upper class dominican makes a year?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas
    RD... in USD... what would you consider what a poor middle class and upper class dominican makes a year?
    From what my novia says (her family is middle class with upwardly mobile children), I'd guess $400-600 per month.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Reel Deal
    From what my novia says (her family is middle class with upwardly mobile children), I'd guess $400-600 per month.

Damn shame, she is educated and bright, in USA she would be living in an upper middle class neighborhood with the hubby.

Thanks

Damn shame, she is educated and bright, in USA she would be living in an upper middle class neighborhood with the hubby.
    The single biggest social and economic problem the DR has is Brain Drain.

The best and brightest of it's children leave the country for an opportunity to chase their dreams in the US and elsewhere-but mainly the US.

My novia has applied for a US Resident Visa 4 years ago. It's a matter of time (possibly shorter, now that she's my babe-I'm gonna call in a couple of political favors...been contributing to winning politicians generously for years...) before she comes to America . The DR loses another educated, bright child.

Their loss is my gain. So be it.

Thanks
    The average wage for unskilled labor in the DR may be RD$5000, but many, many make much more.

Our lunch hostess Sunday makes RD$25,000, and she is a low level supervisor for a Free Zone company.

Go to the cities where the toruist trade is minimal. Look around. No way all those businesses, large and small, could survive if the average wage was RD$5000.

The "fact" that everybody in the DR makes RD$5000 is their equivalent of an Urban Legend, swallowed hook, line, and sinker by tourists.

Do not for a moment think everybody in the DR is dirt poor. It just ain't so.

Get out of the North coast and the typical whoremongering areas. You'll find the DR is not what you think it is...
    I responded here since I was going to go way off course on this thread...

http://www.insearchofchicas.org/phpb...?p=21882#21882

Thanks

The single biggest social and economic problem the DR has is Brain Drain.

The best and brightest of it's children leave the country for an opportunity to chase their dreams in the US and elsewhere-but mainly the US.

My novia has applied for a US Resident Visa 4 years ago. It's a matter of time (possibly shorter, now that she's my babe-I'm gonna call in a couple of political favors...been contributing to winning politicians generously for years...) before she comes to America . The DR loses another educated, bright child.

Their loss is my gain. So be it.
    RD is in love... how sweet... Just playin buddy i wish you the best.. she seemed like a nice girl from the short time i spent with her...

Thread Information