Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$hould I Book Now?

Thanks

$$$$$$hould I Book Now?

Hello Fellas,

It's that time of year again, when the wife gives me permission to take a trip with the fellas. Needless to say, I am coming (home) for a few days. Since we always go away for the memorial day weekend, I am pretty much locked into 5-21-09 to 5-24-09. Her expectation is that we go away Thursday to Sunday; why rock the boat.

The problem is that from JFK to POP is costing me $522; and EWR to POP is costing $609. I've never paid this much before, and I usually buy my ticket about now.

Based on your collective past experiences, what are the odds that the price will actually go down? And do you think that I should book now, or wait? I've watched the price climb over the last 2 weeks, but I just got the final OK.

The price would be a little cheaper leaving Wed. or coming back on Mon. But I don't really think that it is in my best interest to change days. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Kris

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kris boog For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 2,115 Posts

Re: $$$$$$hould I Book Now?

Book NOW lol. You will thank yourself in paradise.
    Retired in 2009. **sniff***

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Yup

Airfares seem to have jumped up 10%-15% since January. I don't think they'll be coming down any time soon. Just book and go. Some of life's pleasures defy quantification. You'll see the return on your investment as soon as you land.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,240 Times in 5,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kris boog View Post
    Hello Fellas,

It's that time of year again, when the wife gives me permission to take a trip with the fellas. Needless to say, I am coming (home) for a few days. Since we always go away for the memorial day weekend, I am pretty much locked into 5-21-09 to 5-24-09. Her expectation is that we go away Thursday to Sunday; why rock the boat.

The problem is that from JFK to POP is costing me $522; and EWR to POP is costing $609. I've never paid this much before, and I usually buy my ticket about now.

Based on your collective past experiences, what are the odds that the price will actually go down? And do you think that I should book now, or wait? I've watched the price climb over the last 2 weeks, but I just got the final OK.

The price would be a little cheaper leaving Wed. or coming back on Mon. But I don't really think that it is in my best interest to change days. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Kris
    Or you can buy the ticket thru this website:

www.yapta.com

1) Not only they can watch the price of the ticket and alert you whenever it drops.(if you choose not to buy the ticket yet)

2) If the price happen to drop of let's say for example $100 AFTER YOU'VE BOUGHT YOUR TICKET they also will get you the reimbursement of the 100 bucks!! Could be either back to the credit/debit card or thru credit in your favor.

This should really cover any worries you had. I never have used the system before but I believe in it. I first saw it in a news program on TV - not 'paid commercial program' - real news program on 'How to save money'....you betchaaa!!! never thought of sharing it(forgot) before seeing your thread/post(in the new post button). So there my peeps!!

Also kris I am planning the exact same flight!!! 5/21/09 - 5/24/09!!!! JFK <-> POP - $522. Holla at ur boi

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,772 Times in 2,479 Posts

Book it. It ain't gonna get better. Your dates screwed you. If you have the time, and the schedule flexibility, EWR to POP is only $347 with the tax, if you fly down on the Thursday and fly home on a Thursday.
    All things considered, I'd rather be fucking.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,012 Times in 800 Posts

For every trip I've taken since last July the prices always move up as the time passes...so waiting another day - week - 2 weeks won't help.

Like you, my trips have been short ones - 5 days, 4 nights - dictated more by work than spouse - so my departure dates have always screwed me in terms of price...so you may just have to bite the bullet there.

Try to squeeze another day (or 2) out of wifey by explaining "the hotel is having a promotion and giving us an extra night and dinner comp...yeah I know it's probably some time share bull; but I can also save $100 on my plane ticket too if I leave a day early..."

Life is not about weathering the storm; but rather knowing how to dance in the rain.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolinajack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

You might try buying your ticket on a Mon. or a Tues. as fares are sometimes cheaper on those days. They generally start to go back up by Wed. Sometimes by as much as $100.

Your lack of flexibility on your dates will make it hard to get a cheaper flight. But you will get get the cheapest fares if you buy at the beginning of the week. Airlines know that most people shop for tickets on or around the weekend. So the earlier in the week you buy the better.

If you check again on Monday and see that the prices haven't gone down, they probably won't.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

I like to shop ewr to pop 30 to 60 days out. I fly strictly Continental tho. I would keep watching.

And like others said, changing your dates a little would probably pay off.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    I like to shop ewr to pop 30 to 60 days out. I fly strictly Continental tho. I would keep watching.

And like others said, changing your dates a little would probably pay off.
    Unfortunately, I can't really touch the days. You know what they say in a marriage, any deviation in habit, actions, etc. raises a red flag. She always expects us to do the same thing, so I'll do those days even if I gotta bite the bullet.

I'm still watchin the prices; they have went up $30 and $50 respectively since I initially posted . I'm gonna watch for the next two weeks and then pull the trigger. Some chica is gonna pay for this .

Thanks
    Thanked 3,012 Times in 800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kris boog View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't really touch the days. You know what they say in a marriage, any deviation in habit, actions, etc. raises a red flag. She always expects us to do the same thing, so I'll do those days even if I gotta bite the bullet.

I'm still watchin the prices; they have went up $30 and $50 respectively since I initially posted . I'm gonna watch for the next two weeks and then pull the trigger. Some chica is gonna pay for this .
    I would say book AHORA y RAPIDO! If you're going Memorial Day weekend - that price will only go up. To hell what you may hear about "stay-cations" - people are still traveling in this shitty economy; and the airlines have cut back on flights to help keep demand up for the flights/seats they do have.

Have a great time.
    Last edited by carolinajack; 03-26-2009 at 08:15 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to carolinajack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 366 Posts

For anyone interested, prices on Continental from Newark to Puerto Plata have dropped $50 over the past two days. A greater savings to San Jose. Wish I would've booked my flights a month later.
    trEPP33

20. The Following User Says Thank You to trEPP33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 287 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trEPP33 View Post
    For anyone interested, prices on Continental from Newark to Puerto Plata have dropped $50 over the past two days. A greater savings to San Jose. Wish I would've booked my flights a month later.
    I never check prices after I book. If it goes down I
    don't want to know that I'll be sitting on the plane
    next to someone getting exactly the same thing
    for less money.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to whatever For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trEPP33 View Post

I guess it depends on the date you're traveling because my dates just went up by $30 since yesterday

I never check prices after I book. If it goes down I
    don't want to know that I'll be sitting on the plane
    next to someone getting exactly the same thing
    for less money.

My boy that I'm coming down with booked a month ago at $391.00; he's already riding me because it looks like he'll have paid $160 more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 366 Posts

Yep, the prices did go back up today. I don't look at prices after I book either. It just so happens that my boy who is now joining us on the trip asked me to book his flight, hence I noticed the price change. I guess Tuesdays & Wednesdays are the days to book as the prices increase on Thursdays.

Also, his prices aren't $160 more. Once you add taxes the savings will be about $50 at most.

Thanks

OK, the deed is done. The flight is booked. The count down begins.

I ended up changing my dates to 5/20/09 thru 5/24/09; and paying $511.00 from EWR to POP. As I stated before, my budy booked the same trip 3 weeks earlier for $391.00. But it's all good, at the end of the day I know I'll have a great time, so let the count down begin.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kris boog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

I always like arriving on Wed, as the chicas usually begin to make their journey within 24 hrs if they live out of town. It is a nice build up each night as the weekend approaches.
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts

you got time . . . search + or - 3 days . . .

you got time ! ! !
    Who me ? ? ?
    nahhhh . . . move along, move along . . .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,391 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_Jayman View Post
    you got time . . . search + or - 3 days . . .

you got time ! ! !
    Even I found time....IM BOOKED BABY! LEAVING IN 18 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Shuffling and Muff'n

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts

Maybe we can reinstall the "FUCK YOU" button and set it so it can only be used against TropicalBob ! ! !

31. The Following User Says Thank You to the_Jayman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,391 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the_Jayman View Post
    Maybe we can reinstall the "FUCK YOU" button and set it so it can only be used against TropicalBob ! ! !
    Hey, tired of sitting on the bench as a subsitute? Come on, get off your ass and join me in some genuine debaucery (sp?)!!! HO, HO, HO AND A BOTTLE OF RUM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information