Thread: I have a question??

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

I have a question??

This is addressed to the mongers living down in Santo Domingo, or maybe some who have visited and have the info.

Although I love doing the latin dance (Bacchatta, Merengue, Salsa etc...)

Is there any regular clubs down here, where you can go to and hear the most current dance songs from the US? So I can get my regular dance groove on, when I feel the need.

Also what inspired this question was I was listening to a smooth jazz radio station on iTunes, and an old Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrel song came on "Ain't No Mountain High Enough", and I couldn't help getting up and dancing around the apt. as it played. Is there any good spots to consistently here some decent jazz down here?? Doesn't really matter what kind of jazz, although I like the good US of A jazz, but I can get into the latin jazz also, used to love Hilton Ruiz, saw him play a few times at a couple of spots, his was another untimely death IMHO.

Any information regarding clubs of these genres (if they exist), would greatly be appreciated.
    Last edited by yayow; 03-25-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Re: I have a question??

Hmmm, not that I've seen, but I'm not really a night person in SD. Too much crap happening in the streets.

There are lots of places that pay international music, but it's mostly trance and dance. Places like Loft, and Praia. Some of them, you'd have a problem getting in.

Not so much because of color(although that does exist) but more due to your age.

But, you don't know, until you go.

As for jazz, you may want to ask the question on DR1. I bet someone on there knows SOMEPLACE that plays jazz.

If not, maybe we've found our calling.....
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Funny you should mention that Mr. Happy in regards to a calling, I actually was thinking that right after I posed the question. Considering that the city is becoming more international it is only a matter of time before different types of entertainment options become more envogue.

So my age doesn't matter in regards to pulling chicas, but try and get into a regular music club. Truly twisted in some respects. But it is what it is, and I always say if they won't let you in, you either knock down the wall which I may be too old and tired to do; or you build a bigger and better model.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

Praia was the club we passed one night on the way to cats and I said we would have trouble getting in. Yes color would be a big factor at praia which makes me NOT want to go. . . . it is a "beautiful people". . . . .hijos de papi. . . . .rich kids club. . . .

so:

color
    coolness
    and car you drive can all be issues in getting in

I will pass. . . . .

As far as jazz there is a place in the colonial zone calle cafe de teatro that has jazz shows once in a while. I have never been but want to check it out. The have a website as well.
    There used to be a cuban place that played cuban music but they closed down.

There are some clubs in the zona that play more current dance stuff but it will lean towards trance etc.

For more hiphop the tigre paradise Makumba will play some along with tons of reggaeton for the wanna be thugs and drugged out tigres. . . . I avoid that crap like the plague. . .

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    Funny you should mention that Mr. Happy in regards to a calling, I actually was thinking that right after I posed the question. Considering that the city is becoming more international it is only a matter of time before different types of entertainment options become more envogue.

So my age doesn't matter in regards to pulling chicas, but try and get into a regular music club. Truly twisted in some respects. But it is what it is, and I always say if they won't let you in, you either knock down the wall which I may be too old and tired to do; or you build a bigger and better model.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The more I hear about that club Praia, the more I want to go.... I would love for them to turn me down, then I could start some shit.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

The more I hear about that club Praia, the more I want to go.... I would love for them to turn me down, then I could start some shit.
    I normally have that attitude as well, but to me the best way to start shit is to not give them a dime. years ago Trio cafe was the same way. Went with my ex wife and they said they were closed for private party. So we sat outside on the balcony and had some beer and food. I walked to mens room which was outside and on the way back the bouncer is opening door for me and saying "caballero". . .I said. . .I thought there was a private party. . . . . .and he just stood there in silence.

I never went back as racist, snobby, and elitist places piss me off. Years later my buddy and I went and it was filled with mostly high end hookers. So from elite and snobby to hooker joint. . ..albeit high end hooker joint. They are gone now. . . . . .to me that is the best course of action. Not going and telling others about it. . . . .

Now if you want to go and do some hidden camera to send to TV station to show them the racist tendencies of Praia. . . . .I am in! I believe that happened a while back with a black dude that worked for US embassy or something?

BUT. . . . .if they actually let us in. . . .. .I am not going. . . . . don't like hanging with those type people. . . ..I'll be at tele oferta or mambo hanging with real people!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Uh uh, that's a big no no. These places all have old,uneducated, trigger happy security guards with 12 ga. shotguns.

Cross the line at one of these places, and you have that thing stuck in your face in a New York second, and they don't think twice about pulling the trigger. End of story.

It's happened more than once, my friend..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Uh uh, that's a big no no. These places all have old,uneducated, trigger happy security guards with 12 ga. shotguns.

Cross the line at one of these places, and you have that thing stuck in your face in a New York second, and they don't think twice about pulling the trigger. End of story.

It's happened more than once, my friend..

In that case,, Never Mind !!!

Thread Information