Thread: Cabarete to install parking meters

Thanks
    Thanked 4,313 Times in 734 Posts

Money Cabarete to install parking meters

What a joke!! Whos paying the tickets????

Cabarete to install parking meters
    At a meeting attended by representatives of the business community and the Mayor of Cabarete (Mr Eddy Morfe), it was decided that Cabarete would install parking meters in the near future. All through traffic has to travel through Cabarete's main road, and parked cars cause considerable traffic holdups every day. Vehicles are parked on both sides of the road, although parking is only allowed on the beach side. The traffic chaos gets really out of hand on Sundays and public holidays. According to a representative of the hotel and restaurant owners in the town, led by Peter Orr, long-term parking can be discouraged by installing parking meters. Motorists would have sufficient time to do their shopping, but would not be allowed to park there the entire day.
    The notables of Cabarete
    This idea was immediately supported by the Mayor, who sees the parking meters as a good way of collecting funds.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gmalet For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,266 Times in 287 Posts

Re: Cabarete to install parking meters

This is a good idea if they use the money to build a parking lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

The week before Semana Santa they introduced "no parking" on Cabarete high street. Both sides. Day and Night. No signs. No warning. No nothing.

The police were calling the 'junta' officals via radio who then issued computerised tickets. (Targetting gringos of course) RD$300 fine if you pay the same day. RD$500 if you pay the next day and incremental charges for each day unpaid. And you got towed away after 3 hours.

The system for the tickets contained all the vehicle details and I was told that any unpaid fines would be levied next time the vehicle gets it's marbete (annual registration)

Apparently this new no parking town law was passed last Sept but they decided to enforce it 4 days before Semana Santa.

2 days later signs appeared everywhere explaining that Cabarete main street is now a no parking area with details of the 5 new parking areas throughout the town at a cost of RD$25 per hour.

Of course this whole scenario caused many heated situations especially when Cabarete was inundated with SD and Santiago Dominicans over the holiday weekend.

A few days after Semana Santa the rules appear to be a little more relaxed in that in typical Dominican style enforcement is lax.

An upshot all this is that there is now a "hulega" (strike or riot) planned for next week to protest the 'Junta' and their methods.

Should be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,391 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gmalet View Post
    What a joke!! Whos paying the tickets????

Cabarete to install parking meters
    At a meeting attended by representatives of the business community and the Mayor of Cabarete (Mr Eddy Morfe), it was decided that Cabarete would install parking meters in the near future. All through traffic has to travel through Cabarete's main road, and parked cars cause considerable traffic holdups every day. Vehicles are parked on both sides of the road, although parking is only allowed on the beach side. The traffic chaos gets really out of hand on Sundays and public holidays. According to a representative of the hotel and restaurant owners in the town, led by Peter Orr, long-term parking can be discouraged by installing parking meters. Motorists would have sufficient time to do their shopping, but would not be allowed to park there the entire day.
    The notables of Cabarete
    This idea was immediately supported by the Mayor, who sees the parking meters as a good way of collecting funds.
    This kills it for me going to Cabrette....spend 30 mins trying to find a place to park, then HAVING TO PAY FOR THE FUCKING SPACE! No thanks, I'll walk down to Herman's on Sousa Beach, anytime.
    Shuffling and Muff'n

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TropicBob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillie View Post

The system for the tickets contained all the vehicle details and I was told that any unpaid fines would be levied next time the vehicle gets it's marbete (annual registration)
    This sucks, I want to see how this plays out with the rental cars. Most guys (tourists) will get a ticket and just throw it away, and if enough does this when they go to register the rental cars all these unpaid tickets, will pop up along with the excessive fines, should be interesting.

I must admit I received one ticket down there while I was on vacation, about 3 or 4 yrs ago for not wearing a seatbelt. I couldn't believe he gave it to me, I think they wanted a bribe which I refused to do, so I got the ticket. I tell everyone that I just took it home and wiped my ass with it. I knew nothing would come from it, what were they going to do suspend my license in NY. I don't think so.

But this new procedure could have consequences for the owners of these rentals, or maybe even for the tourist if they somehow computerize the records and one day you park the rental on the street, and when you come out the rental has been towed because a bunch of tickets from somebody else from months earlier all of a sudden pops up.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

I imagine if you pay for your rental with a credit card, they will charge you later for the ticket. More fun

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

I never rented from the airports, I always rented from the places in town and never gave my card, payed cash, although they would have a copy of my passport.

Would be interesting if they tried to retroactively charge you, those Dominican rental offices in Sosua didn't look like they had the best book keeping skills. I could easily seeing them charging the wrong guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 366 Posts

Remember this is all new to them. I'm sure they will come up with some means of protecting themselves especially if they get caught holding the bag a few times.
    trEPP33

Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TropicBob View Post
    This kills it for me going to Cabrette....spend 30 mins trying to find a place to park, then HAVING TO PAY FOR THE FUCKING SPACE! No thanks, I'll walk down to Herman's on Sousa Beach, anytime.
    There are times when the town is dead quiet and you can't even find a spot.
    Maybe now it will be easier to find a spot.
    I'd rather pay a few pesos and get a spot quickly.

Thread Information