Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dominican Food..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 477 Posts

Re: Dominican Food..

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post

If you want to try dominican food, give a hundred pesos to a trusted motoconcho, and ask him to bring you "La bandera"
    Do you mean those 2 words "trusted" and "motoconcho" in a town like Sosua can go together???

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Si Seņor

Dozens of them! One of the most convenient is Susana's, near and on the same side as the Europa Hotel. (Someone else please give more precise directions). A very limited selection of Dominican food (only) but it is cheap and I never heard of anyone getting food poisoning yet. (If anyone knows differently please let us know). A good place to feed your chica. One grade up from a roadside stall or stand but won't break the bank. Also a pleasant environment in a peaceful courtyard.

Click to see pic

This is the eponymous Susana:

Click to see pic
    They moved to a new location. Across from Edy's sports bar.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

I think you will have better luck finding more authentic Dominican food if you venture to the areas where mainly Dominicans live. Charamicos is a close walk from Sosua and has quite a few little restaurants and places to eat and buy food. I consider myself to be very cautious with where I eat but I have found a few places where I would eat or buy food.

My favorite is easily found by walking from the beach into Charamicos and up the steep hill until you see a traffic light on the main road on a street on the left. At this corner on the left side of the street is a nice little restaurant that serves food.

I have seen some tourists eating there who have also found the place but it seems to be a popular dominican lunch spot. Prices are good and the food is cafeteria style. Food is also VERY good.

Theres also a nice little fried fish spot thats cheap right on the main road leaving Sosua headed towards the airport but its kind of hard to notice if you dont look closely. As your leaving Sosua go just past Charamicos entrances and about 1-2 blocks after its on the right. They have a small table outside and a few chairs.

I am sure there are plenty of other good spots but as was stated earlier you could easily walk past some of them thinking they are peoples homes when in fact they also sell food.

The chicken stand near LaPassions mentioned earlier is one of my all time favorites.

Theres a lot of chicken stands to be found but there are some that just have a better tasting chicken than others.

My all time favorite chicken stand is the guy next to Kelvins Car Wash in Santiago.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    They moved to a new location. Across from Edy's sports bar.
    Is this where Il Molino was located?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    Theres also a nice little fried fish spot thats cheap right on the main road leaving Sosua headed towards the airport but its kind of hard to notice if you dont look closely. As your leaving Sosua go just past Charamicos entrances and about 1-2 blocks after its on the right. They have a small table outside and a few chairs.
    My Dominican friend/Spanish teacher from the El Colibri Hotel/Holiday Spanish School took me there last summer. When I went there it was just a shack with a few folding tables outside. I remember it was quite good, but very busy. We had to stand around and wait to get a table.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weaver View Post
    Is this where Il Molino was located?
    next to the fruit/juice bar

Thanks

I eat at that fish spot at least twice a trip!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,597 Times in 967 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gmalet View Post
    If you ask Willie in advance at the New Garden to cook you some Dominican food he will. He is a great cook as well.
    I can cook, too

Thanks

Easiest (and cheapest) is to head over to Charamicos and frequent your favorite comidor.

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Si Seņor

Dozens of them! One of the most convenient is Susana's, near and on the same side as the Europa Hotel. (Someone else please give more precise directions). A very limited selection of Dominican food (only) but it is cheap and I never heard of anyone getting food poisoning yet. (If anyone knows differently please let us know). A good place to feed your chica. One grade up from a roadside stall or stand but won't break the bank. Also a pleasant environment in a peaceful courtyard.

Click to see pic

This is the eponymous Susana:

Click to see pic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information