Thread: Blackberrys in Sousa

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

Blackberrys in Sousa

Has anyone used a blackberry in DR to call the US. I would like to know what the person in the US sees for caller ID. Does it just show the callers TX # or does it show a country code? I have a Verizon Storm and would like to make calls to US without reciever knowing where I am. I have a buddy in Florida that I fly down to see quite often. We would like to make quick trips to sousa with people at home thinking we are still in Florida. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Re: Blackberrys in Sousa

If you have a buddy in Florida, call him and see what comes up, on his side. I am sure what ever comes up on his caller ID will come up wherever else you choose to call.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

Blog Entries
    Thanks

When I make calls while I am in the US, it just shows my TX # like normal. I would like to know what would show when I make calls from the DR. I will not be down there again until Oct. and am not planning on telling some people where I am.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,313 Times in 734 Posts

I have verizon and a blackberry and my US Cell phone number shows up.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmalet View Post
    I have verizon and a blackberry and my US Cell phone number shows up.
    Just your US cell # shows up when you make calls to US from DR?

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

To avoid this issue completely I'd suggest you get a Magic Jack. It costs $20 and another $20 for one years use. Your device comes loaded with your own number (not what you have already, just one specific to the magic jack, you can request the area code) which is what will show up from wherever you call from, anywhere in the world. The device plugs into a USB port of any computer (you need some type of broad band connection) and automatically downloads the needed software.

Using your US based cell phone from the DR can get expensive.
    A while back I predicted that, as the noose tightens around TFG's neck, both he and the Maga Morons here would post ever more idiotic crap. Right again.

“It was a violent insurrection for the purpose of trying to prevent a peaceful transfer of power after a legitimately certified election from one administration to the next," McConnell told reporters. "That’s what it was."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 394 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapiQueRico View Post
    To avoid this issue completely I'd suggest you get a Magic Jack. It costs $20 and another $20 for one years use. Your device comes loaded with your own number (not what you have already, just one specific to the magic jack, you can request the area code) which is what will show up from wherever you call from, anywhere in the world. The device plugs into a USB port of any computer (you need some type of broad band connection) and automatically downloads the needed software.

Using your US based cell phone from the DR can get expensive.
    I second that !!

Thanks

When you travel to any where in the world and your cell provider offers Roming in that country , the caller id people will get is your US number.

As long as it's roaming the the caller id is your own , same goes as in coming call ,people still dial your US number and reach you in the DR and you will see there number come up.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Summit For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Domwolf View Post
    When you travel to any where in the world and your cell provider offers Roming in that country , the caller id people will get is your US number.

As long as it's roaming the the caller id is your own , same goes as in coming call ,people still dial your US number and reach you in the DR and you will see there number come up.

Great!! Thanks for your input. I would hate to tell wife I am in Florida and have another country code come up when i call from the DR.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 2,115 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Domwolf View Post

I do not think this is 100% correct as I have tested this out on a number of occasions with mixed results.

BE VERY CAREFUL with the caller ID when using your cell phone in the DR. You might get your number on certain carriers but might get DR on others. You might get Verizon, Orange or another network while in the DR. And most of us will not notice what network we are roaming on when surrounded by Chicas. I would not put faith in getting my number instead of DR when I call back home.

The MagicJack option is very good one.....

Again, I cannot stress enough that you should not trust that your number will come up on another persons caller ID when calling from the Dominican Republic. Also, who pays the cell bill as the DR calls will be listed on your bill (don't forget the little things).

Also, when a person calls you in the DR and you are roaming they might get a Spanish message saying you are unavailable. Which might bring on unwanted questions...

Let's be careful out there ................................ lol
    Retired in 2009. **sniff***

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moshy2k For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moshy2k View Post
    I do not think this is 100% correct as I have tested this out on a number of occasions with mixed results.

BE VERY CAREFUL with the caller ID when using your cell phone in the DR. You might get your number on certain carriers but might get DR on others. You might get Verizon, Orange or another network while in the DR. And most of us will not notice what network we are roaming on when surrounded by Chicas. I would not put faith in getting my number instead of DR when I call back home.

The MagicJack option is very good one.....

Again, I cannot stress enough that you should not trust that your number will come up on another persons caller ID when calling from the Dominican Republic. Also, who pays the cell bill as the DR calls will be listed on your bill (don't forget the little things).

Also, when a person calls you in the DR and you are roaming they might get a Spanish message saying you are unavailable. Which might bring on unwanted questions...

Let's be careful out there ................................ lol
    Very True !!!!!
    I have on many occassions had people calling me from the states and getting a spanish speaking message at times, both when with verizon and currently with ATT, especcially if the phone is on, what i USED to do when i had to "hide" was to turn my phone off and then it would go right to voicemail "US" then check my messages frequently from my DR phone...

" Thank God I no longer have to make up them fishing trip stories "
    I'm free , but it cost me plenty haha but it's definatly worth it

Also when roaming i many times when recieving calls they are displayed as " number unavailiable" and most of the time when i call out from the DR , the person either sees me as "univailiable, private, or sometimes my number comes up "

calls out of the DR are also very expensive..

it's a crap shoot.....
    CHICA_SEEKA

" NEVER LEAVE YOUR WINGMAN'

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicaSeeka For This Useful Post:

Thanks

magic jack is great because as long as you have internet access to any computer, bascially the thing lets you choose an area code based on the info you put the first time you use it. Select your home area code (only works for US and Canada) to call back home but also for the person at home to call you there as well on the same number is free. So if need be, no one can tell you are even not in the same area code. So you can say you went to Florida,. Texas, etc whatever "sunny state" the "fish" are biting in or whaterver sunny town your friend from college lives in, etc. without having to worry about 829 809 or whatever other foreign country area code poppin up. Also, it only costs $20 for the thing and $15 a year to use it. A couple of trips would cost more than that in phone cards to call home. WHoever uses a US or Canada cell phone roaming is getting way overcharged. Magicjack is a better option.
    I WILL KEEP MY GUNS
    MY FREEDOM
    AND MY MONEY!

YOU CAN KEEP
    THE CHANGE!!!!!!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourmomma999 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information