Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THERE IS STILL MONEY IN CIGARS

Thanks

THERE IS STILL MONEY IN CIGARS

last night i smoked a cigar, a fat corona grande, brought to me by an exgirl and exworker in the cigar factory i had, memories of the past.....

given you got customers over there, its still a business. i built up from scratch and run a cigar factory in tamboril, santiago, where the small and medium sized factories are. it was a partnership with a german wholesaler. i shipped during the 2 years of operation more than 250.000 cigars, all the classic sizes. high end prices over there, 3 - 17 euros then a piece. we shipped them in bundels of 25, not in boxes. i never smoked before, its been quite an experience, not only the smoking. thats, too, when i started to tuck a gun into my belt.

i dedicated one full day per week at the factory and many night hours on the computer and internet, keeping admin in order.

i gave up, because my partner got more and more lazy with payments.
    my output prizes where then about 15 pesos for medium sized cigars, all long fillers, usually with cuban seed tobacco blend and connecticut shade wrappers. now, the tobacco and labor are quite higher.

competition is high on every level, but i did quite well. given one got the customer.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Still Money in Cigars

Hey Domfan

Do you not have the factory any more?

Thanks
    it still exists, but i handed over charge to a dominican

Thanks
    just a thought here; since Cuban cigars are illegal in the states and everybody wants them (especially celebrities, more as a status symbol) if i (or you) was to import raw tobacco from Cuba to the DR, and make the final product in the DR, would it be legal to import those cigars to the states? technically they're still "Cuban" cigars, just assembled in the DR, therefore they could still be marketed as Cuban cigars.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniro
    just a thought here; since Cuban cigars are illegal in the states and everybody wants them (especially celebrities, more as a status symbol) if i (or you) was to import raw tobacco from Cuba to the DR, and make the final product in the DR, would it be legal to import those cigars to the states? technically they're still "Cuban" cigars, just assembled in the DR, therefore they could still be marketed as Cuban cigars.
    That's the rub.. from what I understand you can't use Cuban tobacco in the cigar and then export it under US law as Cuban cigars to the US..

Thanks
    wow, answered in 6 minutes. thanks continentalmike.

Thanks

Cuban Cigars

`You are right a current crop of cuban tabacco could not be used in cigars exported to the US at least not legally. However, there are two companies that are marketing cigars assembled in the DR as "legal cuban cigars" supposedly the tobacco being used as the filler (Dominican wrapper and binder) was exported from Cuba prior to the communist revolution. (1962??) These "legal" cuban cigars are being marketed under the Ghurka and Pinar brands. I actually had a similar idea for a Dominican hustle, but with a little less care to strict legality. That is, if the cigar has a dominican box and band, who is to say where it originated. Anyway Castro is older than dirt, the ban and resulting high cuban prices can't last forever.

Thanks

Re: Cuban Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by brianod
    `You are right a current crop of cuban tabacco could not be used in cigars exported to the US at least not legally. However, there are two companies that are marketing cigars assembled in the DR as "legal cuban cigars" supposedly the tobacco being used as the filler (Dominican wrapper and binder) was exported from Cuba prior to the communist revolution. (1962??) These "legal" cuban cigars are being marketed under the Ghurka and Pinar brands. I actually had a similar idea for a Dominican hustle, but with a little less care to strict legality. That is, if the cigar has a dominican box and band, who is to say where it originated. Anyway Castro is older than dirt, the ban and resulting high cuban prices can't last forever.
    in the cigar community there are one and then the tales about those 'pre castro tobacco stocks'. everybody who knows about cigars will tell you BULLSHIT. that would be 40 years now, and the tobacco would be either rotten or infested by bugs.
    and it is extremely difficult to get cuban tobacco. i negocoated myself with the commercial attachee of the embassy, i did not get nowhere.
    what is done; cuban seed tobacco, thats quite common practice.

Thanks
    Cuban seed is used eveywhere.. DR, Nicaragua, Guatamala.. it invariably produces good results..

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by continentalmike
    Cuban seed is used eveywhere.. DR, Nicaragua, Guatamala.. it invariably produces good results..
    Even in Connecticut, USA.

Yes there is cigar company there using Cuban seed.

Thanks

Thanks
    one of the things you got to know about cidars: like the wine several factors count for the taste of the end product:
    seed, soil, climate, fermenting, blending, craftsmanship. means, cuban seed will not result in equal tastes in all the places, cause the soil is not the same. and those cuban buggers got the best soil for heavy tobacco.

Thanks
    as I sit here smoking a nice Partagas.. I can't help but agree with you

Thanks
    The only people who would buy a cuban cigar in the DR are Americans. The Dominican cigars are Awesome and 1/3 the price of the cubans. I've smoked them all and find that a good Dominican cigar is better or equal to any of the cuban.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nuhomet
    The only people who would buy a cuban cigar in the DR are Americans. The Dominican cigars are Awesome and 1/3 the price of the cubans. I've smoked them all and find that a good Dominican cigar is better or equal to any of the cuban.
    I agree with buying Domenicna when in the DR... 'good smokes at reasonable prices.. but I will always hold Cuban above the rest of the world in terms of quality... and Ive been smoking cigars quite a bit..

Thanks

Cigars

I agree - the 40 year old cuban tobacco is probably a hoax - I tried both the Pinar and Ghruka offering, while both are good, I would prefer one of Continental Mike's Partagas which you can get in the states through the black market as well. Using on-line retailers in Spain the cost of a D4 rubosto is about $10 and D2 $12, which is under the Canadian and British price due to high excise taxes in both countries. By the way, I visited the Cubana SA (authorized distributer) in Santo Domingo but could find no real deals.

One thing that I was kind of suprised about during my trips to Sosua was that the Dominican brands popular in the states - Fuente, and the General cigar offerings (partagas, hoyo, cohiba, etc.) were much more expensive than in local retailers in the states. They did have Aurora and Leon Jimenez at comparable prices. But I personally don't like them.

I will be back in Sosua the 16th - Where can I get reasonably priced Dominican cigars?

Does anyone know what gives with the prices?

Thanks

Re: Cigars

Quote Originally Posted by brianod
    I agree - the 40 year old cuban tobacco is probably a hoax - I tried both the Pinar and Ghruka offering, while both are good, I would prefer one of Continental Mike's Partagas which you can get in the states through the black market as well. Using on-line retailers in Spain the cost of a D4 rubosto is about $10 and D2 $12, which is under the Canadian and British price due to high excise taxes in both countries. By the way, I visited the Cubana SA (authorized distributer) in Santo Domingo but could find no real deals.

One thing that I was kind of suprised about during my trips to Sosua was that the Dominican brands popular in the states - Fuente, and the General cigar offerings (partagas, hoyo, cohiba, etc.) were much more expensive than in local retailers in the states. They did have Aurora and Leon Jimenez at comparable prices. But I personally don't like them.

I will be back in Sosua the 16th - Where can I get reasonably priced Dominican cigars?

Does anyone know what gives with the prices?
    Fuentes get re-imported, that's probably why. Fucked up if you ask me. I think DT talked about this once.

Thanks
    imo prices are up too much to bother.. I smoke Aurora's or Jimenez and buy at the local shops at around RD$ 80-100 a piece (I usually buy a carton of 5).. usually buy standard corona sizes.. I don't bother with Dominican Cohiba's or anything like that.. overpriced..

Imo it's not worth buying extra to bring with you into Holland because prices of Cuban cigars are equal in Switzerland where I go regularly.. I'm even thinking of importing Cubans for personal use on my holiday..

Prices are up a lot from last year..

Thanks

brand

I am lookin for a mild to medium cigars madura or light.
    so gentleman what brands made in the dr are my best bet for a good smoke.
    rated from quality first then price
    I am intrested in a couple of boxes to bring back with me and smoke on site.
    as the titanic sinks , I will be partying with the band.

Thanks

Re: brand

Quote Originally Posted by bigfroggy1
    I am lookin for a mild to medium cigars madura or light.
    so gentleman what brands made in the dr are my best bet for a good smoke.
    rated from quality first then price
    I am intrested in a couple of boxes to bring back with me and smoke on site.
    My advice .. buy a few loose ones.. Aurora or Jimenez are sold per cigar. try them out.. get your preference and buy a few boxes..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information