Thread: Problems at Customs

Thanks

Problems at Customs

When I come through Customs, its possible I might bring an extra cell phone or two as gifts and I am bringing a laptop for a friend

I was thinking of leaving a $10 on the top of the bag

What do you guys think?

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

F the bribe!

I think you should forget the bribe and just walk right thru as I do. Tell'me the laptop is yours, as well as the phones. If they question, remind them that comm sucks in the DR and you need the boxes and manuals etc. If they think otherwise, F-em. The shit IS yours after all.

Thanks

Customs

Thanks Rear Window!

I should have been more forthcoming in my original post - just for discussion sake lets say its 30 cell phones for my closest Dominican buddies.

Does that change the answer?

By the way I love these titles "Monger Lord" something to aspire to - seriously!!

Thanks
    Yes that will change the answer. Honestlty I have never has to deal with this but I know that placeing the money on the box will leave you very vulnerable. I believe that it will only make them obdurate and they will demand for more. I will like to see where this goes because I have been thinking about somthing like this myself.

Thanks

Re: Customs

Quote Originally Posted by brianod
    Thanks Rear Window!

I should have been more forthcoming in my original post - just for discussion sake lets say its 30 cell phones for my closest Dominican buddies.

Does that change the answer?

By the way I love these titles "Monger Lord" something to aspire to - seriously!!
    30? THAT might be a problem,lol. And actually, are you sure you can get them cheaper in states or wherever,than buying them in DR? Add in the SIM costs etc...buena suerte. It would be a miracle if you could get that many OUT of the US, I would think. I would advise chipping at least one for yourself before you hit the island. 8)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts
    I got about 25 cell phones i am taking in January. Pack them in a carry on. US people will not hassle you but might want an explanation on why you have soo many phones. Tell them they are gifts for girlfriends family. At DR customs have 10US ready and you will fly through. Allways pay if the taxes will be more than the bribe.

Thanks

customs

Thanks Boston Jim

Are your phone landing on fantasy island too?

Thanks

i"m amazed

Out of curiosity ( I know ..it kills the cat) why buy phones here and take there? are the phones that much more expensive in DR? And where can you buy phones in bulk? Kill me if these are too many questions.

Thanks

Customs

Rear Window

I dont know a lot about it - just a cooperative delivery guy trying to get through the gate

Thanks
    taxes on cell phones and other electronics are very high. A phone bought on ebay for 15us will get you a phoneless chica for the night. I already have all my Samsung a460 phones sold and more are wanted. Also i have nokia 3595 and 3390 phones that are called for. DR taxes are 100% on the newest phones. A phone for 30US in the DR is at least 3 years old. The phones i bring down are 1 year old turn ins in great shape. Plenty of cell phones to buy in the DR but you will have to charge them 24/7 for they are old.

Thanks

Veo!!

Quote Originally Posted by guttaman
    taxes on cell phones and other electronics are very high. A phone bought on ebay for 15us will get you a phoneless chica for the night. I already have all my Samsung a460 phones sold and more are wanted. Also i have nokia 3595 and 3390 phones that are called for. DR taxes are 100% on the newest phones. A phone for 30US in the DR is at least 3 years old. The phones i bring down are 1 year old turn ins in great shape. Plenty of cell phones to buy in the DR but you will have to charge them 24/7 for they are old.
    Claro! Now are these all chipped (sim) phones or just the the garden variety cells?

Thanks

Customs

Hey Boston Jim

So you are the guy on ebay beating me on the A460 auctions - LOL

By the way the LG LX1200 is ok too

Thanks

Customs

Hey Boston Jim

So you are the guy on ebay beating me on the A460 auctions - LOL

By the way the LG LX1200 is ok too

Thanks
    Ignore my last question. I think I will just pretend I haven't seen this thread..

Thanks
    The nokia's are sims ( 3390 and 3595 ) easy activation at Orange. The Samsung A460 are Digital GSM and can also be activated at Orange but digital bus tech is needed. For any phone with photo or vidio like my a670 you might have to go to Santiago for the tech. Check out the price of a phone that is less than 2 years old in the DR and it is twice as much as on ebay. Also there is alot of chicas that would like to have any kind of phone that works. The last time i was at the Palace i hooked up with this chica for 36 hours for a cell phone. Phone plus charger plus activation cost me a total of 27US. We were both happy with the deal.

Thanks

not to beat this dead horse

Quote Originally Posted by guttaman
    The nokia's are sims ( 3390 and 3595 ) easy activation at Orange. The Samsung A460 are Digital GSM and can also be activated at Orange but digital bus tech is needed. For any phone with photo or vidio like my a670 you might have to go to Santiago for the tech. Check out the price of a phone that is less than 2 years old in the DR and it is twice as much as on ebay. Also there is alot of chicas that would like to have any kind of phone that works. The last time i was at the Palace i hooked up with this chica for 36 hours for a cell phone. Phone plus charger plus activation cost me a total of 27US. We were both happy with the deal.
    Ok..buy older phones cheap on ebay and sell /trade them to chicas ( and get the sim right) for a discount, but affordable for them. Hmm. i need to rummage around in my box O' dead Tech.

Thanks
    The t-mobile Nokia's seem to be the easiest and cheapest to activate in the DR. 3390's are 9.50 plus shipping. The 3595's are about 22.50 plus shipping on Ebay. Sims card phones in the DR are the most popular. I was told Motorola phones can be hard to activate..

Thanks
    I brought in two laptops and 7 cell phones last time, when coming through, as every other time I hold a 5 dollar bill in my hand and they take it, wave it through, unwrap the plastic wrap, and many times walk me to the taxi stand. its worth it to me.

Thread Information