Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sosua Trip Report - Other activies

Thanks
    Thanked 5,029 Times in 652 Posts

Sosua Trip Report - Other activies

I had a short list of other things I wanted to do while I was in Sosua. One of those things was to visit Puerto Plata. I took a group taxi up there one day and walked the Malecon. It's really a nice stretch of beach with a walkway dividing the beach from the main street. Every 150 yards there's a structure with a snack bar. There are some nice looking apartments on that street facing the beach. Also, along that street there are some nice restaurants. There are a few hotels along the street. What confused me was that the Malecon is more or less at one end of town and doesn't seem to be well used. It is a million dollar setting with nothing going on. I expected to find it full of locals and tourists and there would be shops and such....not the case. It would be a nice place to live if you don't like crowds.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas
    Last edited by shredder; 06-20-2009 at 07:33 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks

Re: Sosua Trip Report - Other activies

On the way to Puerto Plata there is a Go Kart park. I went there with a girl and her 9 year old. It's fun to go there with some people. The Karts are not exactly high tech. They have some that go maybe 35mph and then another track with some that go 25mph for smaller kids. The slower track has some two-seaters so an adult can take a kid.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One day I went to Playa Dorado to play golf. The course is more or less average in difficulty. It is well maintained. I enjoyed playing there. I used rental clubs, had a caddie (required) and a cart. It all came to about $70. It was fun but for half that I can play on better courses here at home so it's not something I'll do on my next trip. The Playa Dorada complex looks pretty impressive...condos, houses and an all-inclusive resort...is that correct?

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,195 Posts

Shredder thanks for the intel. I for one don't like a whole trip to be about only about pussy.
    I'm back... Heading Back To Green #TurnUpTime

9. The Following User Says Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One day I took a group taxi to Cabarette. It is about 7 miles east on the main highway from Sosua. I was really taken with the town. It is definitely a tourist town with a beautiful beach that attracts wind and kite surfers. The town has more of an outdoor activity culture to it. There are lots of nice shops and restaurants. The draw back to the town is that the main street of town is also the main highway so there is a constant level of traffic.

From the main street I walked down an alley to the beach. You can see that in the first picture. There are other pictures of the beach, beach front condos and restaurants on the beach. I ate lunch there at one of the beach front restaurants and the food was delicious. These beach restaurants are different from Sosua Beach in that they are in real buildings and not shacks. Many of them have an entrance on the main street and a deck on the beach.

I really like Cabarette. I could see staying there a few days on my next trip. One interesting thing was the noticeable lack of beautiful women there. Spend enough time in Sosua and one could think that the entire country of DR is made up of drop dead gorgeous women. Cabarette brought me back to the reality. I was there during the day. Maybe at night the lookers come out and troll for wealthy tourists but on my visit I saw average Dominicanas...actually one looker at an internet cafe.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shredder View Post
    What confused me was that the Malecon is more or less at one end of town and doesn't seem to be well used. It is a million dollar setting with nothing going on. I expected to find it full of locals and tourists and there would be shops and such ... not the case.
    You're right and, if you think it is quiet now, it was even quieter before they opened the La Sirena supermarket. I once needed a motoconcho to get back to Billy's and walked for ten minutes without seeing one. Anywhere else in Puerto Plata or Sosúa you have to fight them off.

The Fortaleza end gets busy at the weekends as a meeting point for young middle-class Dominicans. They meet to compete with their carboot sound systems as to whose is loudest.

Not sure what you mean by "at one end of town" though. It runs the whole length of the town from Long Beach to the Fortaleza (25 minutes walk).

It would be a nice place to live if you didn't like crowds.
    The sea view condos can be surprisingly reasonably priced. It's a great location but I am not sure about security. In an enclosed barrio strangers are more obvious. Here anyone could rob your house and make a quick getaway unnoticed. If I could be reassured on that point I would consider living there myself.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One day I went around with a realtor and looked at houses and condos. It was very interesting. I won't go into the state of the real estate market but it appeared to me that the collapse of real estate in the states is having a "trickle down" effect on vacation properties....not to mention the adverse effect it had on UK real estate as Weyland will attest to. I saw many casas and casitas in the hills/mountains above Sosua and also a condo that is maybe 4 miles east of Sosua. It had been purchased for $160K 2 years ago and the owner wants out for $120K...or maybe less next fall.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,768 Times in 930 Posts

if your gringo forget about getting a good price on a house, marry a chica and live with the family
    traveling the world in search of chicas, good friends and liveing life as if every day were my last

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bentwire For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

On the way to Puerto Plata there is a Go Kart park. I went there with a girl and her 9 year old. It's fun to go there with some people. The Karts are not exactly high tech. They have some that go maybe 35mph and then another track with some that go 25mph for smaller kids. The slower track has some two-seaters so an adult can take a kid.
    I was privileged to be at Fun City when this guy, Dale Weyhardt Jr, set the lap record which still stands:

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    I was privileged to be at Fun City when this guy, Dale Weyhardt Jr, set the lap record which still stands:

Click to see pic
    Yeah, but I heard he kept driving on the wrong side of the road.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 433 Posts

I really like Cabarette. I could see staying there a few days on my next trip. One interesting thing was the noticeable lack of beautiful women there. Spend enough time in Sosua and one could think that the entire country of DR is made up of drop dead gorgeous women.
    Cabarette brought me back to the reality. I was there during the day. Maybe at night the lookers come out and troll for wealthy tourists but on my visit I saw average Dominicanas...actually one looker at an internet cafe.

Some friends and I had a late dinner in Cabarette a few weeks ago. There were quite a few stunners walking up and down the beach. Unfortunately most of them were gringas. The tourists definitely out number the locals. All the local girls seemed to be huddled up at some small bar adjacent to one of the discos on the beach. I saw one or two local girls that caught my eye, however, we all brought sand to the beach. Maybe next time.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Young Hero For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Caberette is an excellant place to hang out. Its only 15 minutes from Sosua by Gwa Gwa.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 8,333 Times in 1,160 Posts

For a small propina they will remove the speed governor ... with the governor removed you can lap the others at least once every 2 laps!

For me, that's putting the fun in Fun City!

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kennilingus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I forgot to mention a good aside about the Fun City gokarts. The go Karts steering wheel is not round. It is butterfly shaped. The track is very turny and so you are constantly fighting the wheel. The day I was there I ran a few sessions and developed a blister on my left palm....

....I couldn't help but laugh at the irony that on a vacation to Sosua I came home with a blister on my left palm.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Most people don't realize this, but there is more than enpugh things to keep a guy busy for months in this country.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I really like Cabarete. I could see staying there a few days on my next trip. One interesting thing was the noticeable lack of beautiful women there. Spend enough time in Sosua and one could think that the entire country of DR is made up of drop dead gorgeous women. Cabarete brought me back to the reality. I was there during the day.
    The authorities in Cabarete are much keener on "cleaning" up the town so putas are less free to wander the streets. Also a greater proportion of tourists are female than in Sosúa so male tourists are less interested (or maybe less free) to go with whores.

Thanks

The authorities in Cabarete are much keener on "cleaning" up the town so putas are less free to wander the streets. Also a greater proportion of tourists are female than in Sosúa so male tourists are less interested (or maybe less free) to go with whores.
    I also think that Cabarete attracts a different kind of crowd due to all the surf activities (wind surfing...) and the last time i was i also thaught it attracted a young crowd in general. Also i think that the beaches are nicer in Cabarete than in Sosua.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cervezalover For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I had a short list of other things I wanted to do while I was in Sosua. One of those things was to visit Puerto Plata. I took a group taxi up there one day and walked the Malecon. It's really a nice stretch of beach with a walkway dividing the beach from the main street. Every 150 yards there's a structure with a snack bar. There are some nice looking apartments on that street facing the beach. Also, along that street there are some nice restaurants. There are a few hotels along the street. What confused me was that the Malecon is more or less at one end of town and doesn't seem to be well used. It is a million dollar setting with nothing going on. I expected to find it full of locals and tourists and there would be shops and such....not the case. It would be a nice place to live if you don't like crowds.
    You can also use a cablecar which is called Teleferico and it gets you up to a hill called Pico Isabel de Torres.
    In Puerto Plata you can also visit the Amber museum in town and the Brugal rum factory.
    Another site to see is the fortress in Puerto Plata (San Felipe) and if you want to you can also visit the first european settlement in the new world called La Isabelda.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cervezalover For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cervezalover View Post
    ... you can also visit the first European settlement in the New World called La Isabela.
    Just to clarify, La Isabela is an hour or more's drive from Puerto Plata past Imbert.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just to clarify, La Isabela is an hour or more's drive from Puerto Plata past Imbert.
    Yup that is true round about 50 km.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cervezalover For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information