View Poll Results: Have you ever been on a turboprop plane?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have, no problems.

29 80.56%
  • I have, HUGE problems.

2 5.56%
  • Never been but I will if have to

2 5.56%
  • HELL NO not now not ever!!

3 8.33%
  • What the hell is a turboprop plane?!?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Turboprop Planes safe?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,239 Times in 5,923 Posts

Are Turboprop Planes safe?

They got some flight PR <-> DR with AA, the least. I have never been on any of them.

I don't know if I ever will, that is unless I found myself surprised in a connection(to any other destination) and then while walking the tube thing I see there's not reactors on the plane why will I do then?

My question was like who out of the multiple mongers here on isoc have ever been on turboprop plane? Where you scared?? crazy turbulence??? Sharing is caring

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 5,029 Times in 652 Posts

Re: Are Turboprop Planes safe?

They're safer than Dominican condoms

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Actually, I've flown on many...once from Ft Lauderdale to Bahamas. It's probably true that you don't feel as safe because they are small and you do feel the turbulence. I don't know the safety statistics but I believe that those planes can "glide" if there is engine failure...unlike jet airliners.

Speaking of turbulence, one time I was flying in one and we were approaching the runway. It was winter time and there were really high winds so the plane was bouncing all over the place. I could look up the isle and out the cockpit window and see the landing lights approaching. Then the plane pitched like crazy and looked out my window and saw the same landing lights So now the plane must be going sideways I was holding on tight. Somehow we landed okay...

...but hey, I'm sure you'll be fine.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shredder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 470 Posts

I believe the flight from Memphis to Miami is on a turboprop...I can say this, I have not yet died flying on one so far. Seriously though, I've been on a lot and although it feels like being on a kite, I haven't had anything major happen.
    I'm out for dead Presidentes to represent me...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chicmatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,975 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joeysterr View Post
    They got some flight PR <-> DR with AA, the least. I have never been on any of them.

I don't know if I ever will, that is unless I found myself surprised in a connection(to any other destination) and then while walking the tube thing I see there's not reactors on the plane why will I do then?

My question was like who out of the multiple mongers here on isoc have ever been on turboprop plane? Where you scared?? crazy turbulence??? Sharing is caring
    Last time I went to Puerto Plata, I did the SJU - POP route in one of those. There was a lot of shaking and noise going up, but once it got to the right altitude, it was ok, and the seat felt more comfortable than in the regular airplane.

Personally, I would fly on a kite. When your time is up, there's no escape.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

This is a rather confused thread. No-one is comparing turboprops to jets here, simply small airliners to large airliners which is a different issue.

I don't suppose any statistics exist but I would guess that, if you compare like for like in terms of age and size, turboprops are at least as safe as jets. I remember that the Viscount airliner built in my home town (and used by Capital Airlines in the US among others) was the safest plane in the world in terms of passenger/miles flown for the two decades it was in service.

It is hard to compare the safety of those old planes with modern ones because of the vast improvements in ancillary technology, navigation, runways, communications, emergency services, etc.

For my first twenty years of flying there were no commercial jets, so if I drowse off on a plane nowadays then wake up suddenly I sometimes experience a momentary anxiety that the propellors have fallen off!

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

I have been on a few myself, Miami to Bahamas (a few times), San Jose P.R, to POP (a few times), even Laguardia to D.C. (very first time). No problems yet, and like another poster said, when your time is up it's up and not a damn thing you can do about it.

So you might as well enjoy the ride. Actually even thinking about possibly doing some sky diving while down here, haven't done it yet, would have to take the classes. But have started gathering some info. .......... God I must have too much free time. If I ever do it I would surely post some pictures.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

I was on a flight once from Aguadilla to Santiago on a small 8 passenger twin engine plane.

About 10 minutes after takeoff, the rear entrance door blew open, the force of which tore it from it's hinges. The only thing that kept it from being lost was the steel support cables that were used as handrails when the door was lowered.

I thought that door was going to take the tail off the plane, the way it was banging around.

I ended up being used as a grappling hook. Two guys held me by the legs while I hung my body out of the plane so I could grab the door.

After what seemed like forever, I managed to wrestle it in, and was able to more or less hold it more or less in place while the pilot made an emergency landing, with firetrucks and the whole nine yards.

I was the hero!! My better half had her camera out the whole time, and frantically took shot after shot of the whole nightmare. (we discovered later there was no film in the camera)

Since this was a Dominican airline, once it was determined there was no structural damage, the pilot put the door into place, secured it with some bars, and finally, after giving it 3 or 4 hard kicks, announced that it would be ok, and off we went.

What really shook me was when we flew across the north coast. As we got close to Santiago, the pilot did a left turn, to fly over the mountains and into Santiago(this was the old airport). He flew between two peaks, and we were so low, I could see the teeth of the people standing on the ground. Some folks were actually running for cover! I looked forward at the pilot, and he was flying with one hand, and holding a map in the other. Priceless.

For many years, I was deathly afraid of flying. After that experience, it never bothered me to fly again.

And, as an aside, I worked for a few months in an aircraft manufacturing company that later went bankrupt. But during the time I was there, I learned just how strong an aircraft frame really is. Once you see static structural testing done on surface components, you understand how much of a beating they'll take.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I ended up being used as a grappling hook. Two guys held me by the legs while I hung my body out of the plane so I could grab the door.

After what seemed like forever, I managed to wrestle it in, and was able to more or less hold it more or less in place while the pilot made an emergency landing, with firetrucks and the whole nine yards.
    I hope they offered you a complimentary drink by way of a thank you. (Local drinks only, naturally).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    I hope they offered you a complimentary drink by way of a thank you. (Local drinks only, naturally).
    I guess you missed the part where I said "Since this was a DOMINICAN airline"

I'm surprised they didn't try to charge me more for the temporary air conditioning...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,195 Posts

I actually took that AA flight on my first trip to SDQ and besides my knees hitting the seat in front of me and feeling like a packed sardine I had no problem with the flight. It feels a whole lot different I am not going to lie about that but hay if you going down you going down anyways so what the hell do you care?
    I'm back... Heading Back To Green #TurnUpTime

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

I made the selection of yes Huge problems because my correct response was not on your list. During college I had a lot of friends getting pilots licenses. They would often be able to take people on their flights so I went from Florida to the Bahamas twice. Being on that small of a plane made me very uneasy. I would trust a commercial airline a lot more because of the size of the plane and the experience of the crew. Those smaller planes seem to have more problems and you can feel the turbulence a lot more. After 2 trips I decided this was not for me.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was on a flight once from Aguadilla to Santiago on a small 8 passenger twin engine plane.

About 10 minutes after takeoff, the rear entrance door blew open, the force of which tore it from it's hinges. The only thing that kept it from being lost was the steel support cables that were used as handrails when the door was lowered.

I thought that door was going to take the tail off the plane, the way it was banging around.

I was the hero!! My better half had her camera out the whole time, and frantically took shot after shot of the whole nightmare. (we discovered later there was no film in the camera)

Since this was a Dominican airline, once it was determined there was no structural damage, the pilot put the door into place, secured it with some bars, and finally, after giving it 3 or 4 hard kicks, announced that it would be ok, and off we went.

What really shook me was when we flew across the north coast. As we got close to Santiago, the pilot did a left turn, to fly over the mountains and into Santiago(this was the old airport). He flew between two peaks, and we were so low, I could see the teeth of the people standing on the ground. Some folks were actually running for cover! I looked forward at the pilot, and he was flying with one hand, and holding a map in the other. Priceless.

For many years, I was deathly afraid of flying. After that experience, it never bothered me to fly again.

And, as an aside, I worked for a few months in an aircraft manufacturing company that later went bankrupt. But during the time I was there, I learned just how strong an aircraft frame really is. Once you see static structural testing done on surface components, you understand how much of a beating they'll take.
    Mr.Happy after all that you choose the "I have, NO problems" answer. Lmao!!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeysterr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeysterr View Post
    Mr.Happy after all that you choose the "I have, NO problems" answer. Lmao!!
    You have to remember Joey that Mr. Happy, has a strange sense of humor, especially if he has had some of that Mr. Happy juice.

It helps keep him happy

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I used to fly commercial on them a couple of times per week.
    No problems with them , though they are noisier than a jet. The landing tends to be very gentle but from 1k feet down they can be bounced around a little

Anything smaller than a large commercial prop forget about it - too many numbnuts think they know it all get a licence and then fly themselves and their friends/family into the side of a hill.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_t For This Useful Post:

Thanks

MrHappy, That is an amazing story.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,501 Times in 8,028 Posts

They must have some good acid in DR.

I've offended you.....goood

30. The Following User Says Thank You to eastcoastallstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

I have flown on Fokker 50 and Dash 8 and never had a problem. The flights were ok with me.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

None of us work for TSA on NTSB, but having said that, you have received some opinions as far as the people who have used them while traveling (over whelmingly most had no problems), I believe the bottom line is if they weren't ultimately safe, they wouldn't allow them to fly.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information