Thread: Current Situation with Bringing in a TV

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

Current Situation with Bringing in a TV

I know this has been touched on before yet I'm looking for current information. Has anyone brought in a flat screen TV recently? If so, can you share your experience? I'm getting conflicting information so info on the current state of affairs would be greatly appreciated. I asking because I"m contemplating bringing in a 26" set for my apartment. Would really like a larger screen, but that's all my bedroom will accommodate.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: Current Situation with Bringing in a TV

About 6 months ago i brought in a 32" flat screen thru STI for My apartment
    Brand New Out of the box wrapped in blankets and bubble wrap in one of those tall duffle bags.
    I was stopped at the X-Ray machine and spent 2 hours when almost every high ranking official had to come and look at it so they could value it for Duty tax,
    I ended up being Assed 200.00 US for a 500.00 US TV, still worked out cheaper than buying it at plaza lama or La Sierena or a store like that, but Damn what a hastle....
    Last edited by ChicaSeeka; 08-01-2009 at 09:14 PM.
    CHICA_SEEKA

" NEVER LEAVE YOUR WINGMAN'

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicaSeeka For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Do you know what the DR assessed value was?

The hassle is something I'm willing to deal with. You can purchase nothing of quality in that size range on the north coast. Right now you can pick up a top of the line model here for $400. If I have to pay another $100 to $150 in taxes it would be worth it. However, as noted in a previous a thread there's is this rumor circulating that you can bring in a less than 32" set tax free or simply claim it as a gift, with no tax assessed, if the purchase price was less than $500. What I'm unable to find is someone who can confirm this based on their experience and not just word of month.

Thanks Chicaseeker for your response.

Thanks

The same thing happened to me. I brought a 26" flatscreen and was stopped at the STI customs. After a long wait, too long since my chicas were waiting, I was told that a screen larger than 22" was subject to the duty tax. This amounted to 35%. Still better than Plaza Lamo. Have you seen the selection there?
    You might have better luck flying into POP since the bags are'nt always checked by security.

I'm flying into POP tomorrow so I will give you updated intel on the security situation.

The Doctor is in.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for your response Dr McGlovin. No I haven't seen the selection in Plaza Lamo. I have seen what La Sirena in POP has to offer and it was miserable. If you don't mind can you equate that 35% into dollars. I can accept a 20% import tax and 16% ITBIS if it's applied to my purchase price. If they give me a base for the tax based on their idea of what the price should be I would not be happy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,088 Times in 255 Posts

Going into to STI is like volunteering to pay taxes, since they xray all incoming bags. It is best to try to fly into POP since there are no xray machines and not all bags are checked. A couple of years ago I got caught trying to take a flat screen to my Condo, going through POP Airport. The dead give away was the fact that I had my luggage wrapped in Plastic at the Miami Airport. As soon as my luggage came out the customs guys knew I had something of value in the suitcase worth taxing.

They search the luggage and found the TV. You should have seen the looks or their face. They knew it was a pay day. I bought the TV for only $220. Yes this was a super deal. Since the TV was so cheap I didn't want to Pay a lot in taxes. I tried to find my reciept to prove it was cheap but I left the reciept at home.

Customs took me into a back office and told me that I have to pay over $6,000 peso. I told them that I would brake the TV and they could have it before I pay the Tax. I then pointed to the VGA port and told the guy that it is a used PC monitor that could also function as a tv but it not a tv. The guy worked with me and I paid $2,600 peso tax.

The next time I came back to POP I was bringing in another TV this time I didn't get my back wrapped and I got throught the Customs line without being searched. No Tax!

Moral of the story: Don't look like you have something worth taxes and you might not be searched.
    Last edited by Crossfire1; 08-01-2009 at 10:04 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crossfire1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

You won't have trouble bringing a transvestite into most chica-friendly hotels but they may be required to leave their cedulas at reception.

I hope this helps, Sage. You never cease to surprise me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post

You won't have trouble bringing a transvestite into most chica-friendly hotels but they may be required to leave their cedulas at reception.

I hope this helps, Sage. You never cease to surprise me.
    No cedula needed at the apartment nor are transvestites. English humor I suppose. :-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Crossfire, thanks for your response. The problem I have is they've seen me so often that they seem to always suspect I'm bringing something large and valuable into the country. Last time I flew into POP with just carryon and the agent insisted on taking a quick peek into the larger of the two bags.

Thread Information