Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the problem with Customs?

Thanks

What is the problem with Customs?

I like to get the opinion and experiences of some of you who had travel to DR many times. I have been there twice. My last trip was last May and I had a great time there. I am a clean, mature, law abiding person. I don’t do drugs and respect the law everywhere I go. When I go to DR, I spend most of my day by the pool, enjoying the scenery, conversing with the locals, reading and other boring stuff. At night I will have a few drinks, enjoy a good meal, hunt for a chica, and have a good time. After four or five days, I am back to the States. Here is the problem. I stepped out of the airplane and there is this asshole from Customs asking for passports. I am one of the first out and he began giving me a hard time because I went to the DR. Why did you go to DR? Why not somewhere else? Did you visit somebody there? What is in your bag? I am talking this dude is being rude and treating me like a drug dealer. I politely answered all his questions. He then let me go, I guess to get another monger. I got my luggage and go through another Customs guy. He asked me if this was my first time to DR. I said no, I was there last year. He makes a face and start looking for whatever they look in their computers. I guess he could not find anything and let me go. Same treatment at the next station; but, at least I brought something this time. In summary, I was treated almost like a criminal for making a second trip to paradise. Well, those of you who have been there forty times in three years, tell me how in the hell you ever make it through Customs. If I was treated like “mierda” on my second trip, I can’t imagine what is to come as the trips increase in numbers.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Goodmasterson For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 716 Posts

Re: What is the problem with Customs?

Been there at least monthly for the past couple years when I got my most recent passport. At this point, I only have DR stamps (30?) in my passport and when I clear US immigration and customs, I have never had a problem. Almost everytime I have been asked where I've been by immigration (always a guy), I get a comment that tells me they get it. I have even been asked if it was as good as they say and comments like that. Never a disapproving look. Nobody asks why because in Miami, a latin community, it is well known why a guy would be in the DR.
    Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KoKi9290 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 289 Posts

they are just trying to provoke you. i have made several trips to the dr and they never give me a problem. they did send me to the search area once to do a manual search of my bags; but, outside of that no problems. when they ask me the why do i go there question, i just respond "I have a prometida (fiancee) who lives there." and they let me go.

i would just keep my cool and do not let them get to you. the only ones that got to me once was the tsa security. they stop me once, did the search, had several different persons ask me the same questions: where are you going? why are you going? why are you going alone? do you have family there? etc. i got annoyed; but, they let me go. the only thing that pissed me off was that they searched my backpack and left everything that i had neatly packed scattered out on the floor and table.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to natmatt For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

If it really bugs you, move to a free country.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,313 Times in 734 Posts

Join the Trusted Traveler Program. Do a search on here, I posted how to join.
    I just got through customs in Atlanta in 5 minutes last night. Might have been even faster.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gmalet For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 117,702 Times in 19,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goodmasterson View Post
    I like to get the opinion and experiences of some of you who had travel to DR many times. .................. Well, those of you who have been there forty times in three years, tell me how in the hell you ever make it through Customs. If I was treated like “mierda” on my second trip, I can’t imagine what is to come as the trips increase in numbers.
    Not quite forty times in three years but often enough for them to have to search for a blank spot on my passport to stamp.

The more I go, the less they ask. I answer most of their questions with just a smile and a wink.

they fucking know...
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    - Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greydread For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,363 Times in 78,282 Posts

Well, those of you who have been there forty times in three years, tell me how in the hell you ever make it through Customs. If I was treated like “mierda” on my second trip, I can’t imagine what is to come as the trips increase in numbers.

Well I tell them I am single, I get vacation and my novia lives there, some chica under 25. They smile, maybe laugh and tell me to move along.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimmydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,575 Times in 1,140 Posts

Goodmasterson

As an often traveler in big groups with coaching... you may have a name "on the list" which they always question.

I had a player 2 players a few years ago who always got stopped anywhere we flew... one had a last name of Muhammad.. which is understandable and the other had a last name of Alexander...seems common enough.

But you might have a name on the List and they check it out thoroughly.

Keep me secure..its worth an extra 5 minutes!

Love, Peace, & Chicken Grease!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

I travel alot (DR and other countries) and get stopped often by Customs/Immigration on both ends of the trip. There are times when i almost miss connections because of it. You have to understand Customs/Immigration are in an almost impossible situation. They have absolutely no clue as to who is who and who is doing what. I know they scan through their little computers but do you really think a drug dealer or terrorist will send a mule through who has a fucked up record? Trust me, it's all hit or miss with Customs/Immigration. They basically depend on instincts.

With that said, know that they have the legal right to detain you. Be kind and courteous. And hopefully you'll get through eventually without missing any connections or catching aggravation.

And personally speaking as a Black man, it's a relief that after 9/11, Customs around the world now includes other ethnicities in their harrassment. I've been catching hell at airports for years!!!

18. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

I have traveled to DR many times and have never had a problem with customs. I have been through both Miami & Atlanta. psriches is correct. The custom guys have an impossible job to do.

I am going to check out the trusted traveler program. Anyone else on it?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tiger89 View Post
    I have traveled to DR many times and have never had a problem with customs. I have been through both Miami & Atlanta. psriches is correct. The custom guys have an impossible job to do.

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...program&page=2

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,313 Times in 734 Posts

I am on the program. It was the best 100 bucks I have ever spent. I bypassed a 20 minute line last night and now I can do 1 hour connections when I travel. Have not been questioned once since I have been on the program and have travelled 10 times so far.

I used to get pulled to the secondary line every time. Trust me I know.

One other neat feature is you do not have to fill out a customs form as well. It asks you at the kiosk and you enter it there. takes less than 2 minutes to do.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gmalet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 391 Posts

I have been 26 times since July 2005 and have only been searched once in Atlanta, never in Newark or Miami. No questions, no nada. If they did question me, I'd just say I have a girlfriend in the DR. No crime in that.
    Last edited by Choirboy; 08-08-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: addition

Thanks
    Thanked 5,772 Times in 2,479 Posts

Newark Liberty is not on the list for this program. Doesn't matter to be anyway, it would be a waste of $100 for me. Newark has seperate lines for US and non-US citizens. Getting throw there is pretty quick. The longest line is after you get your baggage and have to wait in line to exit the baggage claim. It's still pretty quick.
    All things considered, I'd rather be fucking.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,597 Times in 967 Posts

homeland security act ..lol

I like to get the opinion and experiences of some of you who had travel to DR many times. I have been there twice. My last trip was last May and I had a great time there. I am a clean, mature, law abiding person. I don’t do drugs and respect the law everywhere I go. When I go to DR, I spend most of my day by the pool, enjoying the scenery, conversing with the locals, reading and other boring stuff. At night I will have a few drinks, enjoy a good meal, hunt for a chica, and have a good time. After four or five days, I am back to the States. Here is the problem. I stepped out of the airplane and there is this asshole from Customs asking for passports. I am one of the first out and he began giving me a hard time because I went to the DR. Why did you go to DR? Why not somewhere else? Did you visit somebody there? What is in your bag? I am talking this dude is being rude and treating me like a drug dealer. I politely answered all his questions. He then let me go, I guess to get another monger. I got my luggage and go through another Customs guy. He asked me if this was my first time to DR. I said no, I was there last year. He makes a face and start looking for whatever they look in their computers. I guess he could not find anything and let me go. Same treatment at the next station; but, at least I brought something this time. In summary, I was treated almost like a criminal for making a second trip to paradise. Well, those of you who have been there forty times in three years, tell me how in the hell you ever make it through Customs. If I was treated like “mierda” on my second trip, I can’t imagine what is to come as the trips increase in numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 2,115 Posts

I have been stopped a few times traveling to the DR by Customes and frisked twice. As PSriches said, they have a tough job and depend mostly on a basic profile and random chance.

The best thing to do is be polite, smile and answer there questions without giving any attitude. If you have nothing to hide you will be on your way after a brief search. There job is protection so I have no problem with the minor annoyance.
    Retired in 2009. **sniff***

29. The Following User Says Thank You to moshy2k For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tiger89 View Post

I joined it right after GMalet clued us in (thanks G) and I love it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,745 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Choirboy View Post
    I'd just say I have a girlfriend in the DR. No crime in that.
    No crime going to bang hookers in countries where it's legal either. But yes being polite and giving direct answers is best.
    "The only known aphrodisiac is variety."

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacoloco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,542 Times in 5,678 Posts

Never been stopped heading to DR but i ALWAYS get stopped in JFK coming home.

Never fails. We young, white men are always being targeted.

On my way out the airport after i've picked up my luggage, i'm gonna get stopped by them and i've just learned to accept it. I guess i just LOOK like i'm guilty.

It's no biggie though, just a couple minutes of time wasted. They'll look at my passport, comment on all the trips. Ask me where i work, what's the name of the business, what do i do, a bunch of other stuff they think might trip me up but i aint lyin' about anything so there's nothing to trip up. They'll ask me to open my suitcase, do a half-assed search, then i'm on my way.

No reason to make it an issue cuz it's their job. Like others have said, just smile, answer their questions, and it's over.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JuanElGriego For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 2,115 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JuanElGriego View Post
    Never been stopped heading to DR but i ALWAYS get stopped in JFK coming home.

Never fails. We young, white men are always being targeted.

On my way out the airport after i've picked up my luggage, i'm gonna get stopped by them and i've just learned to accept it. I guess i just LOOK like i'm guilty.

It's no biggie though, just a couple minutes of time wasted. They'll look at my passport, comment on all the trips. Ask me where i work, what's the name of the business, what do i do, a bunch of other stuff they think might trip me up but i aint lyin' about anything so there's nothing to trip up. They'll ask me to open my suitcase, do a half-assed search, then i'm on my way.

No reason to make it an issue cuz it's their job. Like others have said, just smile, answer their questions, and it's over.
    Juan El,

It could be that big ass Cool-Aid smile on your face that keeps getting you stopped. The could be wondering "what the fuck is he so happy about and why does he smell like pussy" LOL

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to moshy2k For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information