Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the problem with Customs?

Thanks
    Thanked 26,907 Times in 6,119 Posts

Re: What is the problem with Customs?

I've been stopped a couple of times coming back and forth to whatever destination i was going. i think the only one i had an issue really with was the custom officer who was standing within the tunnel going to the plane. And I looked like the only tourist with my DR shirt. He was just being a prick, but I kept my cool. In Rio, before checking in, they normally ask you the usual questions, but I never felt annoyed by it at all. I could imagine how it will be when I hit Colombia.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knotty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,745 Times in 562 Posts

Occasionally I read about them looking at cameras and laptops when returning to the US, the last time was a guy returning from Colombia. Don't know if that's happened to anyone here but something to think about if you take chica pics. Might be a good idea to have one memory card for those and another with tourist pics in your camera, also upload them off your laptop to a gallery or just email them to yourself.
    "The only known aphrodisiac is variety."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacoloco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 366 Posts

I've taken many, many trips over the years and was never stopped before until my first two trips the DR. They both happened this year and the first time almost cost me to miss my connection in miami. luckily the flight was delayed and i was able to board. Though I thought they were going to stop me on my latest trip I got lucky and made it through without incident.
    trEPP33

6. The Following User Says Thank You to trEPP33 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,553 Times in 1,620 Posts

I came back to Toronto from Punta Cana a couple of weeks ago and got the third degree from the Canadian Immigration officer. Where have you been?, why where you there?, what does your novia do?, how old is she?, how many times do you go there?

I answered them all politely but could not help thinking some of the questions crossed the line. I find the Canadian officials much ruder than their US couuterparts, especially when I pre-clear US immigration in Calgary, those guys are always pleasant.

Talked to a guy from Sosua while waiting in line at immigration in Toronto. He had been hauled off to the hospital in Punta Cana to be x-rayed by customs officials. I guess a few rude questions are not too bad afterall.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

a lot of us that arrived at POP the last two weeks of September had our bags searched thoroughly...... which I have never seen before to that extent in the Caribbean........and I mean they were opening everyone's bag and looking at stuff.........everyone......evidently I heard they were actually looking for large quantities of cash.....which kinda left most of us out of the picture........lol

as I have gotten older the less and less questions I have been getting going to and from the Caribbean......my younger years I use to get a ton....... now I travel pretty light and don't bother bringing laptops anymore as the call and Internet stores have gotten so cheap to use like at $2 for an hour.....plus it's not worth having a laptop stolen, broken or even inspected by customs these days......plus if you aren't carrying any booze that is one less thing they'll bother you about.......my declaration card always has a big "0" on it these days.....lol

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I got secondary inspection since this year I get secondary inspected in Miamai airport. Maimi airport is worst place and that asshole might enter my name in some list. Generally, the single traveller was single out by their profile system. They always ask why you travel alone and that mean travel alone is not normal in american sociaty and you suppose to travel with your wife. The social value reflect in custom and immigration profile system. guy bring your wife and you will be never pulled over.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to travel1000 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information