Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veterans PLEASE help with a "rookie" with Trip Planning

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,377 Times in 13,906 Posts

Re: Veterans PLEASE help with a "rookie" with Trip Planning

Quote Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
    Click to see pic

Okay since you have a year – you have plenty of time to plan this trip and lay down a solid cover story:

Since you say you and your buddy coach:

Tell your wife (wives) you’re attending some type of educational workshop/conference in the DR. “Steroids in Youth Athletics Prevention” – with the number of MLB players from the DR being spotlighted lately it’s not a reach. Tell her it’s sponsored by your district or conference or Nike for that matter – something believable but she can’t readily check.

During the course of the school year scrounge up as much basic school supplies as you can. I’m talking basics: paper (writing and copy) pencils, pens, crayons, chalk, glue, rulers etc. There are quite a few DR educational charities you can drop the stuff off at.

Tell the wife as part of the conference the organizers are asking all the American coaches to bring school supplies to the DR.

www.dominicandreamproject.org is one of the most reputable and they’ll even pick up the donation, though you should take the time to drop it off and fill out their thank you form so they can send a letter to your home.

This past trip I took down two suitcases of supplies (my attitude this trip was fuck the panties and perfume for the chicas – they’re already getting paid).

Since JetBlue allows for one free bag I maxed out the weight on that one at 50.8 pounds. The second I had to pay $30 for. In all I took down about $400 of “donated” supplies (14,000 RD) in one shot. Crayons and pencils I bought from Staples because they were having a .25 cent sale just before I left. Total outlay with baggage cost about $65 dollars but with that letter I’ll be able to write off $400 dollars in taxes.

* I checked shipping costs for two boxes weighing a total of 85 lbs. via UPS = $500.00!

All my personal stuff I got into a carryon and backpack as usual.

EXTRA BONUS: What wife is going to think her husband is partying at a place like Classicos when you leave with two suitcases filled with school supplies for the children in the DR…and on a serious tip they need it here. High school grad rate is less than 10% nationwide.

If you stay in Sosua – which I recommend for a first trip – right near the New Garden and Sea Breeze is a baseball field used by a nearby school. Go over and take pictures of the kids playing – chat up the coaches if your Spanish is decent – another photo op. Try to bring some stuff for the kids there too. Packs of baseball cards – new baseballs – wristbands – whatever you can get for little or nothing – remember it helps sell your story.

Take lots of pics of guys hanging at Lou’s Shark Bar, or the Cubra Libre singing karoke, or chicken and ribs at Big D’s on the beach. Anything that looks like a bunch of American coaches at a conference during their down time…I would not recommend pics of Passions for this; but by all means go during your free time from the conference.

Another note: If you drop off at the DDP offices take the day to hangout at the beaches on Cabarete. Take lots of pictures of the para-surfers especially the guys getting lessons. Say something like, “Yeah they gave us a voucher for a free hour lesson since we were there for the conference but I passed cause the wind was bananas that day!”

Cabarete actually hosts world championships for parasurfing.

If you need any other info on this sell – or other places to take pics that look conference like – (1) keep reading the board (2) hit me on the PM.

The beauty of this cover you can stretch it out to follow-up workshops as needed.
    Click to see picClick to see pic
    Now THAT is an impressive post.. Tons of great ideas there...
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 1,244 Posts

That is so strong and so thorough that its BULLETPROOF! Thanks for taking the time to think/write all that. I will PM you soon with more details and questions. I already have this trip "SOLD" to wifey as an end to school/camp vacation that he and I are going to get away and lay by the pool/beach and chill out -just drinking beers! BUT (here's where your story comes into play)while I'm down there I'm going to run into the this Dominican Dream Project Group and become sold on the humanity and charity of their project. This gives me a GURANTEED RETURN TRIP. Maybe fall break, spring break, or a long weekend within the next year. I have a pretty good feeling I will want to return again, again, and again!!!! Thanks again, thats incredible -- I can't imagine your game with the Chicas!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to runmemphis For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

If you are only going to be DR for 5 nights, I would skip BBs. Just stay at the NG. Nice pool area to chill out, walking distance to a great beach with tons of vendors and restaurants, 2-3 minutes from all the action on the strip including some great eating spots and of course 10 minutes from the famous La Passions.

I have not stayed at BBs but I visited it on a couple occasions to check out the action. Many of the members on this board really enjoy it but I would never stay there. It's too isolated for me and all the action is in Sousa. Just my opinion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,369 Times in 366 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
    Click to see pic

Okay since you have a year – you have plenty of time to plan this trip and lay down a solid cover story:

Since you say you and your buddy coach:

Tell your wife (wives) you’re attending some type of educational workshop/conference in the DR. “Steroids in Youth Athletics Prevention” – with the number of MLB players from the DR being spotlighted lately it’s not a reach. Tell her it’s sponsored by your district or conference or Nike for that matter – something believable but she can’t readily check.

During the course of the school year scrounge up as much basic school supplies as you can. I’m talking basics: paper (writing and copy) pencils, pens, crayons, chalk, glue, rulers etc. There are quite a few DR educational charities you can drop the stuff off at.

Tell the wife as part of the conference the organizers are asking all the American coaches to bring school supplies to the DR.

www.dominicandreamproject.org is one of the most reputable and they’ll even pick up the donation, though you should take the time to drop it off and fill out their thank you form so they can send a letter to your home.

This past trip I took down two suitcases of supplies (my attitude this trip was fuck the panties and perfume for the chicas – they’re already getting paid).

Since JetBlue allows for one free bag I maxed out the weight on that one at 50.8 pounds. The second I had to pay $30 for. In all I took down about $400 of “donated” supplies (14,000 RD) in one shot. Crayons and pencils I bought from Staples because they were having a .25 cent sale just before I left. Total outlay with baggage cost about $65 dollars but with that letter I’ll be able to write off $400 dollars in taxes.

* I checked shipping costs for two boxes weighing a total of 85 lbs. via UPS = $500.00!

All my personal stuff I got into a carryon and backpack as usual.

EXTRA BONUS: What wife is going to think her husband is partying at a place like Classicos when you leave with two suitcases filled with school supplies for the children in the DR…and on a serious tip they need it here. High school grad rate is less than 10% nationwide.

If you stay in Sosua – which I recommend for a first trip – right near the New Garden and Sea Breeze is a baseball field used by a nearby school. Go over and take pictures of the kids playing – chat up the coaches if your Spanish is decent – another photo op. Try to bring some stuff for the kids there too. Packs of baseball cards – new baseballs – wristbands – whatever you can get for little or nothing – remember it helps sell your story.

Take lots of pics of guys hanging at Lou’s Shark Bar, or the Cubra Libre singing karoke, or chicken and ribs at Big D’s on the beach. Anything that looks like a bunch of American coaches at a conference during their down time…I would not recommend pics of Passions for this; but by all means go during your free time from the conference.

Another note: If you drop off at the DDP offices take the day to hangout at the beaches on Cabarete. Take lots of pictures of the para-surfers especially the guys getting lessons. Say something like, “Yeah they gave us a voucher for a free hour lesson since we were there for the conference but I passed cause the wind was bananas that day!”

Cabarete actually hosts world championships for parasurfing.

If you need any other info on this sell – or other places to take pics that look conference like – (1) keep reading the board (2) hit me on the PM.

The beauty of this cover you can stretch it out to follow-up workshops as needed.
    Click to see picClick to see pic
    Dam! i feel for you guys that have to go through all of this. Good info though for those that need it.
    trEPP33

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trEPP33 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information