Thread: What's New in One Year?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 412 Posts

What's New in One Year?

I have been to the Dominican Republic 26 different times (over 5 years) - many thanks to JimmyDR - and his mongering inspiration (he's been there at least 39 times - last time I talked to him) - the last time I was there was October 2008 for three weeks - since that time - which has been one year (I am going for three weeks Oct 3-24) What is new? What is different? If anything. I seem to hit this board mostly right before each scheduled trip - Any new bars? New restaurants? New hotels? Parks? Atmosphere with the policia? The politur? El Flow? The motos? The beach? La Passions? Beer prices? Chica prices? Chica attitudes? Crime situation? Charimicos? - Has anything changed in one year - for the better or the worse? Or is it still good ole' Sosua?

Just a light hearted thread searching for any new info..... What has changed in Sosua in the last year?

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 520 Posts

Re: What's New in One Year?

Been about 7 months for me when I touch down in 3 weeks. I am looking forward to it big time, but the main reason is because no matter how much the small details change there... the overall theme of a male paradise is a permanent thing!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3somefan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,012 Times in 800 Posts

If you hit the beach looking for something to eat try this American guy down there name "Big D"...and he is a big man.

He makes some great "beer can chicken" and a good rack of "dry" ribs.

A quarter chicken and sides run you 150 pesos, with a soda 200.

He used to chef for Stephon Marburry (sp) and quite a few celeb types in the ATL.

Great guy to sit and chat with - he gets a lot of Americans at his place - no matter where we are we can't pass up good BBQ.

Life is not about weathering the storm; but rather knowing how to dance in the rain.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to carolinajack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,279 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
    If you hit the beach looking for something to eat try this American guy down there name "Big D"...and he is a big man.

He used to chef for Stephon Marburry (sp) and quite a few celeb types in the ATL.

Great guy to sit and chat with - he gets a lot of Americans at his place - no matter where we are we can't pass up good BBQ.
    I second Carolinajack's recommendation. Great food and great guy to chat with. If you like to hang at Siempre Sol, he is before you get there and the food is definitely better. If he has ribs when you walk by, don't wait or they will be gone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Choirboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,331 Times in 571 Posts

Hmm,

The streets are much improved in quality, though you still need to be careful in side neighborhoods.

Passion's quality is better, and the location is ever-improving (Peter's come a long way from that kiosk/shack he started with.)

El Flow is now the biggest deal in El Batey for a locals hangout, but the club scene is more or less the same. All roads lead to Classico.

I imagine prices and attitudes depend on a lot of factors about you in particular, so it's a YMMV thing as always, but there hasn't been a fundamental change in anything.

I was there last weekend and had a blast. Hope you have fun as well.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to husl2001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 686 Posts

i seen him on the beach yesterday... didnt speak with him though.. i just at cafe cubano(i like this place) they also suggested next time i go to the beach to go to big d... so 2nd good review on him means he shall see me tomorrow for my sunday beach fest

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rushdog34 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

what number is Big D on the beach?
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,348 Times in 3,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    what number is Big D on the beach?
    You can't miss Big D. He is callled big D for a reason.He a big brother about 6"3 400 lbs.Very good guy I ate there twice last week and just left there.Excellent American Style Ribs I don't know what shed number but you can't miss it he has a bi8g drum pit out front.He is only open Thurs to Sun. right now.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Hoseman is offline 11/27/2011-R.I.P. Derrick "Hoseman" Smith. Engine Co. #5 AkA "Smitty"
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Choirboy View Post
    I second Carolinajack's recommendation. Great food and great guy to chat with. If you like to hang at Siempre Sol, he is before you get there and the food is definitely better. If he has ribs when you walk by, don't wait or they will be gone.
    Choirboy is right you have to get them fairly early if you past by and come back they maybe gone.What i did is get his number and I call in advance.

Thanks

Funny thing is on my last Sunday in town I had lunch at Big D's and witnessed a would be shakedown Dominican style:

This Haitian guy comes by with two "national" police. One on foot the other on moto. The Haitian is claiming D didn't pay him for the carpentry work he did on the place. D shows the police all the payment reciepts contained in a single book signed by him and his accuser - he had paid a total of 10,000 RD to the guy.

The guy had raised this issue before and Big D even had to get a lawyer to quash the guy's complaint, nonetheless here he was with two cops trying to bleed D for more.

Well D is back and forth with the cops, his assistant, Mary real sweet lady, is telling the cops, "Why are you doing this on a Sunday - stop embarrassing my boss in front of his friends and customers. Take care of this tomorrow. You know Sunday is everyone's best day on the beach - handle this tomorrow."

The cops are mumbling something about D going with them to some court office;...bullshit what office could be open on a Sunday?

So finally one cop says to Big D give us 1,000 RD and we'll all go away.

Big D truly balks at this - and says "Bullshit...I'm not giving up shit...work to hard on this grill to be giving my money away!"

The three blink...tuck their tails and leave.

Now some would say 1000 RD?...$35 to get rid of two cops and a jerk, why not. What D broke down for me is when you live there you can't let yourself get taxed like that - otherwise they're back every week...AND you can't think of it as $35...think like a Dominican....it's a $1,000 dollars - that's what you have to tell yourself to appreciate what's yours...fuck the exchange rate.

But the main thing as others have testified too...GREAT FOOD with a GREAT HOST. I was so hungry that day I had a plate of chicken and ribs.
    Mangos were sweet as candy - just simply melted.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to carolinajack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 1,244 Posts

Good for Big D -- standing up for the principle. I was going to drop by and say Hi and get a plate but, NOW, may stop by daily!!
    Beach Whore...looking for MORE!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to runmemphis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 857 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by runmemphis View Post
    Good for Big D -- standing up for the principle. I was going to drop by and say Hi and get a plate but, NOW, may stop by daily!!
    You are assuming "Big D" is even in Sosua in 11 months!

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cuba Libre View Post
    You are assuming "Big D" is even in Sosua in 11 months!
    True can't assume anything, but I have seen many places open for a long time on that beach without any visible signs of business, I am sure if the guys here support him a little and I am sure there are enough others looking for good food on the beach that he shall be on the beach as long as the beach is open with vendors.

Normally not a high overhead on the beach, and the good thing for him is he opened during low season, so if he can survive now, it would only make sense that things will improve once high season arrives.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I first met Big D this past February. I'm pretty sure he said he opened around April.

He said he's only had a couple of problems with the other vendors outside of that looks like he's getting a steady crowd. Besides his food, his personality wins over customers and competitors...so he should be there for awhile.

Betting man that I am I could see him expanding from the beach to a spot on the strip for the dinner crowd.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to carolinajack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 686 Posts

sat and ate with big d for about damn there 4 hours today.. maybe 3.. either way dude is a real cool guy.... and the food was great.. i sat down and the next thing u know he was all out of ribs.. everyone that came by while i was there made it a point to come back by and say it was excellent

27. The Following User Says Thank You to rushdog34 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I first met Big D this past February. I'm pretty sure he said he opened around April.

He said he's only had a couple of problems with the other vendors outside of that looks like he's getting a steady crowd. Besides his food, his personality wins over customers and competitors...so he should be there for awhile.

Betting man that I am I could see him expanding from the beach to a spot on the strip for the dinner crowd.
    You are right Jack I have hung with him on numerous ocassions we had a table together at el flows anninesary.I hung with him one day he was looking at several places for relocation. I am not going to expose the possible locations but they vary.His plans go beyond the Beach though.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hoseman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,983 Times in 412 Posts

thank you for all your replys
    Big D seems to be a popular guy AND he stood up to the policia ....que bueno

Thread Information