Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 08/2009 - Big D'S on the Beach

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Re: Big D'S on the Beach

Quote Originally Posted by prtyr2 View Post
    Do we know where big D is from? I am a BBQ fan but lean towards texas BBQ. There is a guy in Boca that does BBQ and he was from Atlanta, it was surprisingly good. I will definitely stop by next time I hit the north coast. Of course I plan on buying a grill to keep on the roof of my apt so I can do some grilling. . . ...yummy. . .I am bringing down 2 7 lb briskets I just bought in texas!
    He is from his mother! Only kidding Man. Great point about BBQ though from different areas. This was done once on the travel channel with Kansas City Style compared to Memphis, Carolina and Texas. The results were poor in my opinion because they had some guys that work on a ranch in California judge. Personally I don't like the Mustard Carolina style and prefer Texas and the KC and St.Louis and Memphis are fine as well. Those Texans do know how to do Beef well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

he is from New Jersey he told me it is ok to post his number 829-903-3125. It is a must place to eat stop by and try is BBQ pork chop's WOW
    the best i ever had.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RickRock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,012 Times in 800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    He is from his mother! Only kidding Man. Great point about BBQ though from different areas. This was done once on the travel channel with Kansas City Style compared to Memphis, Carolina and Texas. The results were poor in my opinion because they had some guys that work on a ranch in California judge. Personally I don't like the Mustard Carolina style and prefer Texas and the KC and St.Louis and Memphis are fine as well. Those Texans do know how to do Beef well.

Another Travel Channel fan...lol! Try though we may can't live on pussy alone.

I hear ya on the NC BBQ - that vinegar base kills it....

KC and Memphis my favs...I hit this spot in Kansas City...off the chain food...ribs, fried chicken and catfish all excellent.

http://www.peachtreerestaurants.com/

Biggest disappointment in KC - Arthur Bryants...not worth the drive over.

Famous Dave's franchise in midwest - is great! They have a restaurant now here in NYC in Times Square - but somehow the food lacks something. Best in NYC: Dinosaur BBQ - uptown off 127th street near the Hudson.

Life is not about weathering the storm; but rather knowing how to dance in the rain.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carolinajack For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
    Another Travel Channel fan...lol! Try though we may can't live on pussy alone.

I hear ya on the NC BBQ - that vinegar base kills it....

KC and Memphis my favs...I hit this spot in Kansas City...off the chain food...ribs, fried chicken and catfish all excellent.

http://www.peachtreerestaurants.com/

Biggest disappointment in KC - Arthur Bryants...not worth the drive over.

Famous Dave's franchise in midwest - is great! They have a restaurant now here in NYC in Times Square - but somehow the food lacks something. Best in NYC: Dinosaur BBQ - uptown off 127th street near the Hudson.
    I know Mr. Dave Anderson and frequent his joint on and in Cross Lake MN. It is all the good food and a boat booze cruise evening all in one. He actually started up by Hayward Wisconsin. Awesome
    Rudy's all over Texas is a must stop if you like awesome brisket and ribs. You know its good when rival bike clubs can eat there and agree it is sacred ground.
    Last edited by mikelodge; 09-02-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: grammer

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

The absolute best BBQ ever to grace a grill is made in Texas, right in my parent's backyard.

We have a family recipe for pork ribs, which my mother has yet to bestow upon me (she feels i've yet to prove myself worthy), that has been declared by everyone who's tasted them to be the best ever.

I've traveled all over the U.S., and I've yet to taste it's equal. Of course, I'm a little biased. But my mother has been challenged by other accomplished grill-masters and one after another, they've all had to bow down to her culinary prowess. As I've stated, I don't know the recipe. But I do know that part of the secret is a select, and fiercely guarded combination of woods, and the better part of a day devoted to spending time at or around the grill.

The resulting ribs melt in your mouth. Sauce is optional. I usually go without because it isn't needed.

Seriously, I usually refuse to buy BBQ, especially ribs. It's almost sacrilegious for me to do so, having grown up on the family recipe. I will probably visit Big D's place on the beach. Mostly because I want to support his business. But I'll probably just have the chicken.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,012 Times in 800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    The absolute best BBQ ever to grace a grill is made in Texas, right in my parent's backyard.

We have a family recipe for pork ribs, which my mother has yet to bestow upon me (she feels i've yet to prove myself worthy), that has been declared by everyone who's tasted them to be the best ever.

I've traveled all over the U.S., and I've yet to taste it's equal. Of course, I'm a little biased. But my mother has been challenged by other accomplished grill-masters and one after another, they've all had to bow down to her culinary prowess. As I've stated, I don't know the recipe. But I do know that part of the secret is a select, and fiercely guarded combination of woods, and the better part of a day devoted to spending time at or around the grill.

The resulting ribs melt in your mouth. Sauce is optional. I usually go without because it isn't needed.

Seriously, I usually refuse to buy BBQ, especially ribs. It's almost sacrilegious for me to do so, having grown up on the family recipe. I will probably visit Big D's place on the beach. Mostly because I want to support his business. But I'll probably just have the chicken.
    Sometimes the best cookin' is home cookin'.

I read this and it made my mouth water.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carolinajack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 887 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    Oh how true about the sow of a woman. The other night after bars we stopped at Denny's for Breakfast. A short very fat young woman about 24 at the next table order the FarmHand breakfast. The waitress said do you want bacon or sausage with that. She said both the breakfast with the eggs and pancakes and hashbrowns and sausage with bacon on the side and a Diet Coke. The waitress said ok one FarmHand with a side of bacon and a diet.

Click to see pic
    You know I concede that dunedain has some pics, but "where in the world "did you come up with this pic!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daddy999 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

KC and St. Louis and Memphis all have great one but Texas is uniquely different in most places with more or different use of the woods. I think there are some good BBQ joints in most major cities including MN where here Famous Daves is considered generic. Rudolph's is an institution and some like Market BBQ's. Personally I knew a guy named Ken Davis who has passed (RIP) that I sold a car to who started cooking in his house with his wife Barbara in Minneapolis. She now runs the sauce business (It may only be marketed in the midwest but 3some will know about it) It is some of the best and this was a classic guy living in the inner ciy driving a big old Mercury Full Sized wagon around with cases of the sauce. I still remember him because he joked with me about a white boy knowing good BBQ. A truely great guy, if you get a chance try the sauce.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daddy999 View Post
    You know I concede that dunedain has some pics, but "where in the world "did you come up with this pic!
    Not from personal experience I assure you because I like spinners and thick chicks do nothing for me let alone these bohemoths. They were in a email sent to me by a twisted sister I know.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

PS it looks like you are going to make Halloween. IF you see a guy with BBQ stains on his shoulder or sleeze it may be me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
    Sometimes the best cookin' is home cookin'.

I read this and it made my mouth water.

Speaking of BBQ does anyone know of a place within an hour of Sosua that serves Cabrito (baby goat) grilled over the wood or coals? IF you have never had this it is truely a must try resembling pork but I think much better. It is readily available in Mexico served with some fresh Ceviche and and and yum

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Went to Big D's spot for the first time today and treated my man Fred to BBQ, and thorougly enjoyed the meal, get's my recommendation, and plus a good guy to talk to. I will be back.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Alright. I went to Big D's a couple of weeks ago.

Now I now that I posted earlier in this thread that my mom's ribs were the best ever. And I still feel that way. But I gotta admit, that dude nows his way around the grill (not surprising as he was actually born in TX). His culinary genius cannot be disputed. Definitely the best bbq in the area. In two days, my wingmen and I absolutely demolished four racks of ribs and at least two whole chickens.

We also learned that he doesn't mind catering.

He also went out of his way to let us know that he appreciates all of the free internet marketing that he's getting on sites like this one. It's actually resulted in a jump in business for him.

So I'm gonna do my part. His place is a mandatory stop when in Sosua. I've eaten at a lot of places in that little town and I gotta tell ya, D has no competition in Sosua as far as BBQ is concerned.

Sorry mom.

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,718 Times in 3,229 Posts

Well, on my next trip to he DR, I will have to definitely try Big D's...probably in Jan........
    C.I.S.O.C.
    Cuba.....Cigars and beautiful chicas

One life I'm gonna live it up....Judas Priest, You Got Another Thing Coming

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,949 Times in 4,636 Posts

Could it be??? Hemp & LM will finally meet

Quote Originally Posted by LM View Post
    Well, on my next trip to he DR, I will have to definitely try Big D's...probably in Jan........

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemp For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

well I was a Big D's a couple weeks ago and wow is his barbecue food superior........and what a nice guy and what a nice setting........thanks for the recommodation on him......between him and the Black Box you really don't need anywhere else to go on the beach......

pics for the frat.......including menu

DSCN0669.JPG

DSCN0670.JPG

DSCN0666.JPG

DSCN0668.JPG

DSCN0672.JPG

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

He's a really nice guy too. BIG dude, with a heart to match. It was a pleasure meeting & chatting with him. Will definitely be hanging there next trip as well. You dont feel like youre being "hustled" at his place like at some of the other stands where they get in your face as you're walking by , I hate that .

Big D definitely deserves to be successful there, he's got the goods.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    He's a really nice guy too. BIG dude, with a heart to match. It was a pleasure meeting & chatting with him. Will definitely be hanging there next trip as well. You dont feel like youre being "hustled" at his place like at some of the other stands where they get in your face as you're walking by , I hate that .

Big D definitely deserves to be successful there, he's got the goods.
    That chicken on the grill looks nice sized. A earlier post showed a plate that to me looked like a small portion for a kid and someone posted that the chickens in the DR are very small but that one on the grill looks like I would only need half of it. I wonder what that would cost with out the beans and rice stuff.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,331 Times in 571 Posts

Alright. I went to Big D's a couple of weeks ago.

Now I now that I posted earlier in this thread that my mom's ribs were the best ever. And I still feel that way. But I gotta admit, that dude nows his way around the grill (not surprising as he was actually born in TX). His culinary genius cannot be disputed. Definitely the best bbq in the area. In two days, my wingmen and I absolutely demolished four racks of ribs and at least two whole chickens.

We also learned that he doesn't mind catering.

He also went out of his way to let us know that he appreciates all of the free internet marketing that he's getting on sites like this one. It's actually resulted in a jump in business for him.

So I'm gonna do my part. His place is a mandatory stop when in Sosua. I've eaten at a lot of places in that little town and I gotta tell ya, D has no competition in Sosua as far as BBQ is concerned.

Sorry mom.
    I couldn't agree more. Absolutely the best BBQ I've had while traveling abroad, much less Sosua. He's a great guy, as well.

If you're with a group, ask him about a platter. He serves plenty of food, and makes it look really nice as well. He's open Thurs - Sun, and if you're feeding a big group, it wouldn't hurt to let him know a day in advance, as it takes him two days to properly prepare the food.

And for those comparing burgers in the suburbs to BBQ on a beach in paradise, yeah, his food is definitely worth the price - and then some.

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to husl2001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 358 Posts

I met Derrick in Sept. On my 1st DR trip. I searched for him like a hound! LOL Honestly, I walked right past his place my 1st pass, but I kinda noticed a sign that read, "Pollo Sentado"- I had no idea @ the time but that is what the locals call his Beer Can Chicken.
    On my way out of the beach, I saw him! Was kindof in a rush, but paid for some chicken and ribs and told him I would be back. He had the foresight to ask for my # in case I didn't get back b4 he closed.
    Turns out, I ended up getting a haircut by "Benton", just down the block from Banco Popular- so when Big D called me, I explained where I was and he offered to drop off the food to me! Turns out, he gets his hair cuy by Benton too!
    Awesome guy!

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bhutto,BhuttoGolly For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information