Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great discount code for Avis

Thanks

Re: Great discount code for Avis

Awesome. Just reduced a $150 rental to $75!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joba62 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

you guys are champions.... !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pofocile For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

will someone please let me know how is it driving in POP location for Americans . are you able to see signs that are in english or able to get around following the signs easily?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,743 Times in 643 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gmalet View Post
    Folks this is an awesome discount code for AVIS.

AWD# K444404

It is used by NetJets. I used it in POP reserved the car online and got 50% off on a rental.

Fricken spectacular.

Check for yourself on Avis website.
    Just did a search for a car in Phoenix where I'm working for 2 weeks. $371 a week w/o code, $198 with the code.... DAMN! Thanks...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LJDMV View Post
    will someone please let me know how is it driving in POP location for Americans . are you able to see signs that are in english or able to get around following the signs easily?

print out a map on the internet before you go and maybe buy on in la sirena the bigass grocery store or at a gas station. the street names are in spanish, but calle means street. there are 2 main roads in pop. the main one with the orange dividers which goes from sosua to cofresi, i forgot the name, and calle luis ginebra which branches off to the side and you arrive at la sirena, the rest of the streets are smaller and many do not connect to outside ones. A rough map from the internet where you can read the names should help. I would not suggest driving around pop at night time after 12pm if you do not know where you are. Avoid the area near the jail up the hill before the cable car. Bad area, especially for gringos. and avoid the area across from burger king, behind the plaza with the air conditioning store, another bad area, barrio.
    other than that you will be fine, but hope you speak some spanish. do not run red lights or make illegal u turns during peak hours or amet, the equivalent of the traffic cop will give you a ticket.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigtittylicker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigtittylicker View Post
    print out a map on the internet before you go and maybe buy on in la sirena the bigass grocery store or at a gas station. the street names are in spanish, but calle means street. there are 2 main roads in pop. the main one with the orange dividers which goes from sosua to cofresi, i forgot the name, and calle luis ginebra which branches off to the side and you arrive at la sirena, the rest of the streets are smaller and many do not connect to outside ones. A rough map from the internet where you can read the names should help. I would not suggest driving around pop at night time after 12pm if you do not know where you are. Avoid the area near the jail up the hill before the cable car. Bad area, especially for gringos. and avoid the area across from burger king, behind the plaza with the air conditioning store, another bad area, barrio.
    other than that you will be fine, but hope you speak some spanish. do not run red lights or make illegal u turns during peak hours or amet, the equivalent of the traffic cop will give you a ticket.
    Roads suck and drivers and stupid ass motos suck more

Avis fucked me twice so far this trip.

First I got clown car shit box with 51m when I reserved Intermediate, spent an hour at counter arguing and nothing but sorry you can come back tomorrow and exchange. They are franchise and US Avis will NOT help you.

Second day got Suzuki Areo Intermediate? with 68,000 miles and stupid blacked out window cant see out of mirrors. First car had bad ball joint and grinding this car has bad struts and motor mount causing loud screech when turning or hitting bump which is every block. People starring.

F'ed up
    Just Doing It

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,973 Times in 2,414 Posts

thanks for that info. it will help out a lot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LJDMV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,143 Times in 267 Posts

Is it really worth renting a car in Sosua? With everything so close I would think safer to walk or get a ride.
    living the dream in the Philippines

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fordtech For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,088 Times in 2,301 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fordtech View Post
    Is it really worth renting a car in Sosua? With everything so close I would think safer to walk or get a ride.
    for me, its not worth renting a car if you are staying in Sosua. Everywhere is walking distance, and if you are bar hopping, its much safer walking buzzed than driving buzzed.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TONYTNT40 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I will not do without my rental car. If I feel like going to Cabarete to hang out with kite surfers and have lunch I do. Maybe a drive to POP every couple of days for some nice variety at Cristals by the Malecon there.

Or head over to BB to hang out for weekend party or Maimon for a great seafood early dinner ect. ect.

Even in Sosua it was nice when the rain was heavy and Medic and I ate lunch at Baileys we could just hop in the car and cruise while everyone hid in storefronts.

I am lazy so if I can drive to where I want like down to Passions or El Toro which are both many blocks down like about a mile from the hotel NG area.

Just my 2 cents from a lazy American
    Last edited by mikelodge; 01-18-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: sp

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,143 Times in 267 Posts

How is driving in dr? Is there heavy traffic and I know no spanish at all so might get lost quick. From airport is it easy to find sosua? Is parking ever a problem in and around the bars, hotels and restaurants? Can you buy a map in English?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Fordtech For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I know very little Spanish and have driven a rental car between Costambar and Sosua.
    If you're only staying in Sosua you don't need a car. If you want you're own transportation get a scooter or motorcycle while in Sosua.
    If you're going to BlackBeards and don't want to be trapped or pay high cab fares everywhere get a car.
    The only tough traffic I had to mess with is traveling through POP during rush hours. That can be a little challenging.
    I only drove back and forth from BBs to Sosua so I don't know how hard it is to drive around the island.
    This year we are staying at BBs and Sosua so we are renting a car and I'm planning on expanding the teritory. Which reminds me buy all the insurance offered by the rental company!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GokuSS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

driven around La Capital, Boca Chica and out as far as San Pedro and found it pretty easy driving but just watch out for the other guys.......some monger a few years ago had left Boca Chica drunk after hitting the Disco when I was there in a rented Toyata SUV and headed to Juan Julio in the wrong lane/direction and died from a head on collision.......mi knew the Chica that had a date with him that night and all the Putas that knew this well known monger were pretty upset about it......you could see the damaged SUV the next day beside the edge of the road with scrapes all over it......not a pretty site nor something any of us want to repeat.......and if you don't drink and drive stateside why would you do it in another country

in Jamaica the cost of rentals are over $300/week for an economy car..........not worth it with the taxi system and public transportation so cheap der.....

26. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

How is driving in dr? Is there heavy traffic and I know no spanish at all so might get lost quick. From airport is it easy to find sosua? Is parking ever a problem in and around the bars, hotels and restaurants? Can you buy a map in English?
    From the airport you have to make one turn at the end of the airport drive coming out. You turn left and drive about 5 or 6 miles and you are there.

Congestion is worst on PC in just a few block area from the Highway a block to PC on DR Rosen and 2-3 blocks either way. Then the traffic is easy.

Parking is easy enough to find other than that 2 block strip right by the nightclubs.

You will do fine.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Question Re: Great discount code for Avis

Can any one advise whether or not this discount is good down at Avis Counter located in ( Las Americas Airport)? I'll be down in few weeks to visit Santo Domingo. This sounds like a good deal!

Thanks!
    "D"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dewon642 View Post
    Can any one advise whether or not this discount is good down at Avis Counter located in ( Las Americas Airport)? I'll be down in few weeks to visit Santo Domingo. This sounds like a good deal!

Thanks!
    "D"
    Book online and it works. Never go to a rental car counter that is like going up to a whore with a hard on and money falling out of your pockets.

You will get a much better deal online.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs Up Re: Great discount code for Avis

Sounds good Mike.

Thanks!
    "D"

Thanks

I just used it this week works like a charm I paid $140 for 5 days, which was probably half price. Be sure to bring a print out of your reservation. They tried to charge me twice for the liability insurance. I used my AMEX so I waived the Additional Drivers Insurance. I actually called AMEX to make sure they would over me in DR and they would. So its a go. They also upgraded me to a full size call.

Thanks for the post... save me some money... mas chicas para mi

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lonesoul For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lonesoul View Post
    I just used it this week works like a charm I paid $140 for 5 days, which was probably half price. Be sure to bring a print out of your reservation. They tried to charge me twice for the liability insurance. I used my AMEX so I waived the Additional Drivers Insurance. I actually called AMEX to make sure they would over me in DR and they would. So its a go. They also upgraded me to a full size call.

Thanks for the post... save me some money... mas chicas para mi
    Hey good meeting you briefly at Passions.

Let me clarify one thing though-- Amex which I also use covers you for the accident damage waiver that is like $21.95 a day but does not cover you for the personal liability insurance which is $5.65 a day at Avis and I buy this everytime.

If you get in an accident Amex covers the car but if a guy on a moto hits you and he breaks his leg or worse you ARE NOT covered. I checked this twice but if someone knows something different that can be proven I would love to hear it.

Glad you didn't have the issue man.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    Hey good meeting you briefly at Passions.

Let me clarify one thing though-- Amex which I also use covers you for the accident damage waiver that is like $21.95 a day but does not cover you for the personal liability insurance which is $5.65 a day at Avis and I buy this everytime.

If you get in an accident Amex covers the car but if a guy on a moto hits you and he breaks his leg or worse you ARE NOT covered. I checked this twice but if someone knows something different that can be proven I would love to hear it.

Glad you didn't have the issue man.
    You are absolutely correct. The US credit cards do not cover 3rd party liability. It's been said many times on ISOC. Always buy the 3rd party. It's only $5 a day.

Don't learn the hard way because some customer rep out in Iowa doesn't read you the small print!!!!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information