Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Great discount code for Avis

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,379 Times in 7,663 Posts

Re: Great discount code for Avis

It's hard to believe, but rental car taxes in FL are higher than those in the DR

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

Unless I am dooing something wrong, I put in for Nov 25th 8 pm to Nov 28th 1 pm Fort Laud pic up and Miami drop off, and they want 126 base rate for those 2 or so days.
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo44 View Post
    I just tried using it for a 2 day rental in Ft Lauderdale b4 my cruise and the base rate was 126.00 and w taxes came out to over 40 more.
    Jimbo try Car Rentals .com they compare sites.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo44 View Post
    Unless I am dooing something wrong, I put in for Nov 25th 8 pm to Nov 28th 1 pm Fort Laud pic up and Miami drop off, and they want 126 base rate for those 2 or so days.
    That is 3 days. 2 days plus 1 hour is 3 days. So $42 a day for short notice is not bad for a holiday weekend. You know it is always higher on the big holidays when relatives come to town and need cars.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,555 Times in 660 Posts

Still works. Just tried this code for Avis and it still is good. Basically, I was able to rent an intermediate (two grades above an economy) for the same price as the economy before. Good enough for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sonrisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa View Post
    Still works. Just tried this code for Avis and it still is good. Basically, I was able to rent an intermediate (two grades above an economy) for the same price as the economy before. Good enough for me.
    Did you use the one I posted with a W or the Old one Gmalet posted with a K because if you did use the OLD ONE it doesn't matter that it worked online you will be paying full price.

All three of the Avis airports POP, STI and SDQ all are the same and they haven't honored that old Net Jet one unless you really have a Net Jet account. They got wise to people ripping them off over a year ago (There words not mine) and the GM told me that after over an hour at the counter and several phone calls

Thanks
    Thanked 51,137 Times in 9,456 Posts

Re: BAD NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Thanks for the info!!!

I used the discount 4 times in DR and once on a trip to North Carolina.

Now for some bad news.

During my last trip in January, i rented from Avis in Santiago.

Unfortunately i was riding behind a gravel truck and a small rock cracked the windshield (size of a quarter). Needless to say, i had to pay for the windshield.

I did have insurance on my credit card that would cover the new windshield. However, car rentals charge your credit card first and then it's up to you to get reimbursed by your insurance company or credit card company.

So guess what? Avis charges me $700 for a new windshield and bills my credit card. Now i'm back home fighting with Avis to give up the neccesary paperwork in order for me to get reimbursed. The necessary paperwork includes the closed rental agreement, Avis bill, auto repair shop bill, incident report, etc. I have a few things but not all.

Now obviously Avis in DR (which is a franchise) is reluctant to send me the bill/paperwork because it's fraudulant. Meaning the windshield probably cost them $100 to replace and they padded the bill an extra $600. So that's where i'm at now. My claims person here in the States and a buddy of mine in DR are fighting with Avis in DR for my paperwork. I have until April to settle this or my credit card company will not reimburse me.

The frustrating thing is my claims person here at home doesn't understand how corrupt DR is and goes about requesting my paperwork in a corporate manner. Naturally, Avis in DR is just blowing him off.

This is where the ignorant, currupt, uneducated, 3rd world, piece of shit part comes in. If Avis in DR had of padded the bill an extra $100 for a total of $200, most people wouldn't sweat it. But charging me $700 for a windshield. Of course i'm gonna fight it to my death!! Why do they want that kind of hassle???

Did you get all that??
    Be very careful with Avis!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 50,505 Times in 13,124 Posts

Re: BAD NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Be very careful with Avis!
    That is a sad story, i rented from Avis once in the DR. At POP airport, we went over all the scratches and everything on the car, and I don't think there was one area without a scratch. They probably never fixed the windshield.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Car rentals are cheap normally in Florida compared to up North. Sometimes half or more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Car rentals are cheap normally in Florida compared to up North. Sometimes half or more.
    Ok then
    Last edited by mikelodge; 12-04-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: sp

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,309 Times in 3,521 Posts

just got back tonight from SDQ, I would have came home yesterday if it wasn't for Avis.

I have used this code several times and it is great. However this is the first time I have ever had a serious problem with the car.

After reading many posts, I came prepared. I took time stamped pictures of all the dings dents and damages before I recieved the car. I also charged this on my American Express card which seemed to be the best coverage around. After the inspection noticed the traditional Dominican test of opening the trunk and smacking the spare tire like smacking a Puta's ass to ensure that it is a good spare.

Anyway I took the new Highway from SDQ to Sosua which was an awesome drive. The last day we pack and head to the SDQ and left Sosua around 12:45pm. On my return drive east of by looking at the map, north of Cabrera, I hit a pothole going about 100kph. It took out both tires especially the rear which was completely flat. The front tire was leaking and losing air fast.

We decide to attempt to change the tire that is completely flat, as fast as possible, and haul ass to the next town, and keep filling it up with air, until we find a place to find a tire repair store. We get the jack, and all the tools. Well the important lesson here is when the guy smacks the tire, make sure the jack fits the lug nuts on the car. We could not get the nuts off to change the tire. Better yet, we had no cell phone service on any of our phones, All of us had Claro chips and even Verizon did not work.

What made all of this worse was this was the last day of the Carnival which apparently is a big deal everywhere in the DR. After careful thinking, we decided to either stop a passing car, or better yet, send our friend on the next available motoconcho to the next town. The first motorcycle we got to stop was not a concho, but just a nice man. He took our friend who speaks the most spanish and he was off. He basically went to the next town which was close by, and got a tire iron, and a large hand bicycle pump. I thought he was nutz but he asked me to pump up the leaking tire, and he changed the flat to the donut. We then got the car to moveable condition. I am not sure what town we were in, but it was one of those small towns you drive through, and several dozen people are just sitting outside. We return the pump to one casa, and the jack to the other and we were off.

We stop by a gas station, and there were many chicas eye fucking us, which sucked, since we were running out of time. But we pump up with more air and we are off. We finally get to Cabrera and find a tire repair store, which we may have never found without this guys help. A little kid jumps out of the pick up truck and asked us to call the number on the door. We called several times, but apparently he was away for the Carnival. We got nervous since we establish an "Ow Shit time" of 3:30pm of getting these tires replaced and making it to the Airport in time. We must have been in that town for about 35 minutes where coincedently the tire repair man showed up. We thought we were going to get raped, and might have but it wasn't as bad as we thought. It was $150 Pesos to repair the tire, and $700 pesos for a very good looking, but used tire.

We are off and confident of making our flight. We get on the new highway, pay the first toll and haul ass. A wierd sound is coming from the car, and we realize the fixed tire is flat again. We have no jack again, and now we know for sure we are in the middle of no where. If you know the highway, it is about 40km from SDQ and it is the part where all the dead palm trees are and it looks like the land of the dead.

At this point we tried hitchhiking which was a huge failure. Our game plan was to just make it to a point where we can either have some drive us to the airport, or close enough to the airport and take a cab and abandon the car, and have AVis figure it out.

The good thing was that SDQ was close, and we had cell phone service this time and were able to talk to Avis the whole time. I am not sure who he was but somebody stopped, with army gear on. He called the flat bed from the toll booth, and apparenty this is a free service on this highway. We talked to him and he mentioned regular Domincans cannot afford this highway, and it is either rich people, or tourist, and that hitchhiking out here is useless. Anyway the flat bed got us to the next stop which of course was available to change the tire to the spare again. We break off many peso's to the people who helped as propina, and we were off again, at this point, we might be late, but still had a fighting chance by some miracle, or at least change cars at Avis to another car. I start the car and the battery is dead. Probably from leaving the hazaard lights on. We opened the hood, and the guy mentioned that it was a motorcycle battery.

Well we finally found jumper cables, but at this point, it was so far dead, that it took about 20 minutes to get started. We know for sure the flight is gone by now. Anyway we got back, and they exchanged us for the nicest car they had, and told us to complain to the manager on duty the next day, since the guy couldn't help us at night. We left the car with about a half tank of gas but did not want to shut off the car, and felt we had enough to yell at them, and they won't have the balls to charge us the gas.

I carefully yelled and complained to the manager, showed him pictures and video of the car and the jack not fitting any of the nuts and license plate. She tried to give me a 35% discount. I complained that the new airplane ticket was $300 each, and the hotel was $50 blah blah blah. She gave us the car for free. I tried to get some kind of voucher, but felt I was getting too greedy. I will try through the american side of Avis.com. I made it clear that either they can make it free, or not get paid by American Express.

So the lesson is
    • Always check the policy of your CC coverage.
    • Take pictures of all damages with time stamp of previous damages.
    • Check the spare tire, and make sure the jack fits the nuts
    • Check the car battery to make sure it is not motorcycle battery.
    of course more might be added later.

I will report if they try to add any charges, or if Avis gives me any more to make it right.

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BorisDaBulletDodger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 697 Posts

Wow...what a story..
    I have never thought to check the lug wrench, or the battery.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,964 Times in 1,262 Posts

Clap Re: Great discount code for Avis

Quote Originally Posted by gmalet View Post
    Folks this is an awesome discount code for AVIS.

AWD# K444404

It is used by NetJets. I used it in POP reserved the car online and got 50% off on a rental.

Fricken spectacular.

Check for yourself on Avis website.
    Thank you, thank you. You just saved me $600 !

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,128 Times in 3,034 Posts

Maybe time to add a wrench and a multi-tool to the packing list. I rented a car from Avis the last trip and do look over the flat to make sure its the right configuration as the tires but would have never checked the lug-nut size or the damn battery!! Welcome to a country where everything is improvised.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CentralNJDude For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,744 Times in 721 Posts

i used nelly rent a car last time i was there. and avis before that. i actually got a nicer car with nelly and its like 21 bucks a day for a regular economy car (plus insurance). the site was nellyrac.com/en

26. The Following User Says Thank You to voltage69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,734 Times in 3,148 Posts

Also check tire pressure.

I rented car once and i had a issue when i was driving along the way to La Romana. The highway between boca chica and juan dolio is in pretty good condition. All of a sudden i here a explosion under my car. I didnt hit a pothole i was just switching lanes. I managed to not swerve out of control and make it to the shoulder. I had a tire blow out from the inner part of the rim on the inside of the tire. I make it to the tire shop he checks all my tires and sees that they all have too much tire pressure which he said caused the tire blow out.

From then on out i always have them check the tire pressure for most cars it should be 32 to 35 psi (i think)

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BigLongBeach For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DRCowboy View Post
    Solidarity.
    Just Cancelled my Avis for next week. Used a code from Flyertalk.com for 15 % off at Europacar 7 days Volkswagen Fox 131.08 USD. Also used the American Express deal for insurance (twenty nine something for whole rental period).
    Avoid Europcar. They tried to scam me big time!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thumbs Down Re: BAD NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by ROVER View Post
    psriches can't you just dispute the charge with your credit card company and then the Dominican scam artists at Avis will have to prove to your credit card company that it is a valid charge by submitting the proper documentation to them and then the credit card company will turn the documentation over to you to respond to.

If they do not turn over documentation to the credit card company then the credit card company will not honor the charge and if they do turn over the documentation you can turn it over to your insurance company and continue to still fight it as being an overcharge with the credit card company.

I for one would love to see you get paid by your insurance company and have the credit card company invalidate the charges altogether and you will have some Monger money in your pocket for your troubles and those Dominican scam artists at Avis will get shit for trying to scam a customer.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.
    Visa refused to help me on a Europcar padded scam. Visa said they must accept the words of the rental company! In other words, they fuked their customer= me!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

AVIS--POP is demanding the actual Net Jet coupon when I returned my car. AVIS refused to honor the original contract, then they charged me several hundred dollars more.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I used the discount code at Avis flying into PUJ for 8 days. Used insurance through my credit card company; Avis makes you sign more forms if you deny there insurance. I made sure I got a copy of everything. $200 for 8 days, no problems.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borninusa For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information