Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/2009 - Complaints about the New Garden Hotel (Recurring)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,829 Times in 2,435 Posts

Re: Complaints about the New Garden Hotel (Recurring)

I had to send Palace John a $50 deposit for my reservation years back. I understood, he had guys constantly booking and never showing.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.....

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 520 Posts

I am starting a new business with a guy down in the DR already!! We will be renting out tents and all the camping equipment you need. The tents are chica-friendly!! You won't of course have a fridge, cable tv, a cooked breakfast, security, an occasional bikini contest, a comfy bed, or ac.. but we are sure you can figure out how to get by without them. We charge $10 a night rental and you can set em up anywhere you can find...

Website will be up and running soon!!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3somefan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    At least in this hotel scenario, they didnt take any of your money yet.
    Do you see what I mean ? You only have a 2 way promise, there is NO "consideration" (thats a legal term). So technically no wrong has been done to you whatsoever. Thats just my opinion.
    So the NG does not take a deposit? I have only been slightly following this thread as I don't stay at the NG.

I rent a condo at the Palms and have been doing so for about 4 years. The people I rent from require a 20% security deposit. Which I have no problem with. In four years I have never cancelled.

My trip last month I was considering cancelling as one of my kids possibly going in for surgery. It didn't happen, but had I cancelled I would not have expected my deposit back.

Why not just take a deposit up front? Everybody understands it's to prevent the "no-show" people (who shall remain nameless ).

LIke JD said, you pay in full for an airline ticket to get there, if your a "no-show" you lose the price of the ticket. If you call the airlines in advance of backing out, most will give you a partial credit.

Even a 50% non-refundable PayPal deposit - I dont see why anybody would balk about that. In planning a trip, you pay for some things upfront.

I don't agree with the NG bashing tho, if their current policy is no deposit then you decide if you want to accept it or not.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,088 Times in 255 Posts

I have stayed at New Garden a few times when my condo was rented. I also remember a time before they built the new wing and a friend of mine was staying there. That was when they had the water heater above the door as you enter the bathroom. I wrote about that experience in one of my previous post. The post told the story of water leaking over the electric wires it was crazy. I didn’t start staying there until after they built the new wing, because of this.

In March New Garden screwed me, by not honoring my request for a room in the new building. They gave me a room in the old building. I didn’t change my dates. They just flat out gave me a room in the old building. I thought it wouldn’t be a problem since I was only going to be there for 4 nights and then I would move back to my condo. On the 3rd day there I was looking for a place to plug in the iron. When I pulled the mattress away from the wall I couldn’t believe the mess that I saw. Someone had hard wired the lamp into the electric outlet. This was a fire hazard waiting to happen. Some people say “I just need a bed to fuck. I don’t need more than that.” I say “I need to live.”

There are other problems with New Garden aside from cancellation and room changes, like Wilifred’s attitude but I’ll say that for another post.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Crossfire1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,333 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ram View Post
    I had to send Palace John a $50 deposit for my reservation years back. I understood, he had guys constantly booking and never showing.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.....
    About 18 months ago I was booked into the NG for 4 nights ... I had to do a last minute cancellation.

I paid Wifried $200 US in cash ... I knew that I had no obligation to pay it, but it was my decision to pay. I did this for 3 reasons .... 1)I thought it was the right thing to do, (wasn't the NG's fault I had to cancel), 2) I didn't want the cancellation to held against me during future visits, 3) I wanted to ensure that I wouldn't be a victim of his long standing "lottery style" reservation system.

When I paid him for the room I cancelled, my parting words were ... "Take care of me in the future." Wilfried assured me he would.

The very next time I booked with him ... I didn't get the room I reserved! He had the nerve to shrug his shoulders like it was no big deal WTF????

I understand the point that he doesn't require deposits etc, but when I've made good on a past cancellation, (that likely went straight to his pocket) and still get screwed ... well it says much about his character.
    Last edited by Kennilingus; 10-05-2009 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Clarity

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kennilingus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

I am sure we are not clearly seeing 100% of this picture. I wonder how many cancellations and non payers they have to deal with also. Luckily the hotel is probably the most popular one in Sosua so the rooms get filled. You dont have the hassle of paying a deposit.

Sure we can suggest using a deposit system but its not our decision. The business model they are currently using seems to be working quite well since they are almost always booked solid.

I have always had a great time at the New Garden Hotel and it is always my first recommendation. Wilfred and Lorenzo have always made my stay as best as they possibly can.

There are always some things which are beyond everyones control.

Whenever there are people involved nothing is 100% perfect all the time.

Try to remember people we are there to have a good time and not let little things get in our way. If you have a problem try calmly asking how things can be fixed or made better and in most cases things get worked out. Getting angry and throwing tantrums never helps things and generally puts everyone in a worse mood.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 45,724 Times in 5,924 Posts

My only problem has been the fridges not keeping my beer cold enough. Oh yeah, I broke a couple of beds but I think they started giving me rooms with the sturdier ones.
    "Panties are not the best thing in the world, but they are next to it"

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to officemgr For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 76,190 Times in 8,046 Posts

I have had three rooms booked for the ground floor of the new wing for oct 15th since early July. I will let you all know what happens when I arrive.

I used to stay at Casa Linda's. One year I had to cancel with plenty of notice. I never received my deposit back.

I wonder how many no shows NG has.
    If she is alive, she will fuck.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,968 Times in 320 Posts

i dont get it ppl why do u think that u have the right to cancel your room anytime u feel even a week before the date (and the hotel has a lost of money) and the hotel cant do something like that once ain a blue moon iam here in the NG now its not my first time and very happy and so is all the guest here and i belive this place is full

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bklyndrguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kennilingus View Post
    About 18 months ago I was booked into the NG for 4 nights ... I had to do a last minute cancellation.

I paid Wifried $200 US in cash ... I knew that I had no obligation to pay it, but it was my decision to pay. I did this for 3 reasons .... 1)I thought it was the right thing to do, (wasn't the NG's fault I had to cancel), 2) I didn't want the cancellation to held against me during future visits, 3) I wanted to ensure that I wouldn't be a victim of his long standing "lottery style" reservation system.

When I paid him for the room I cancelled, my parting words were ... "Take care of me in the future." Wilfried assured me he would.

The very next time I booked with him ... I didn't get the room I reserved! He had the nerve to shrug his shoulders like it was no big deal WTF????

I understand the point that he doesn't require deposits etc, but when I've made good on a past cancellation, (that likely went straight to his pocket) and still get screwed ... well it says much about his character.
    I think I have something worth saying on the Lodging business. I was in the lodging and development business (hunting & fishing resort lodge) for a few years which is actually how I got the nickname MikeLodge from some of my biker buddies who instead of saying the name of the place they were staying they always said Mike's Lodge so there women (or whoever) didn't know where they were. I have read all the posts on this thread and think everyone is right to some extent. If NG advertises that there reservations may be changed by them then I think it is fine but I think they should have to disclose it. In this case as Plaso (Wilfred?) said you chose to change so he did too. I think if this is the case he should have told you when you made your original RSVP that if you exercised your right to change they might too. I give Plaso credit for being honest about it so now we all know that a reservation there can be changed by the management if you change part of yours. That was stated by Plaso. Other posters have said theirs was changed even though they made no change. I know some of you would say new room to old room no big deal but then as someone mentioned like the airline there should be compensation for the inconvenience above the difference of the lesser priced room. Perhaps Dinner and a couple drinks. This is the way I accomodated people if I had to make a change based not on a better RSVP but say by a frozen MN waterline ect. I look forward to meeting Wilfred and the NG staff and spending some money there but for now I will only stay where I Know I am going to get what I book that may change after I see the place. And yes before anyone mentions it I have a Guaranteed RSVP but then maybe I will be proven wrong. Find out very soon. And by the way Ken paying the $200 is a class act move that very few guest ever did for me. Most think if the weather goes to shit or whatever they can go home early. This is why I had contract you signed at checkin that looked harmless but you were signing away all your rights.
    Last edited by mikelodge; 10-05-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: grammer

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kennilingus View Post

Unfuckingbelieveable!! Thanks for sharing this with us Kenn!! If this is true, which I have no doubts it isn't... I will be reconsidering this place in the future also!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 3somefan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thumbs Down Re: Complaints about the New Garden Hotel (Recurring)

Quote Originally Posted by Crossfire1 View Post
    I have stayed at New Garden a few times when my condo was rented. I also remember a time before they built the new wing and a friend of mine was staying there. That was when they had the water heater above the door as you enter the bathroom. I wrote about that experience in one of my previous post. The post told the story of water leaking over the electric wires it was crazy. I didn’t start staying there until after they built the new wing, because of this.

In March New Garden screwed me, by not honoring my request for a room in the new building. They gave me a room in the old building. I didn’t change my dates. They just flat out gave me a room in the old building. I thought it wouldn’t be a problem since I was only going to be there for 4 nights and then I would move back to my condo. On the 3rd day there I was looking for a place to plug in the iron. When I pulled the mattress away from the wall I couldn’t believe the mess that I saw. Someone had hard wired the lamp into the electric outlet. This was a fire hazard waiting to happen. Some people say “I just need a bed to fuck. I don’t need more than that.” I say “I need to live.”

There are other problems with New Garden aside from cancellation and room changes, like Wilifred’s attitude but I’ll say that for another post.

Click to see pic

Click to see pic

Click to see pic
    Again...Holy SHIT!! How fucking unsafe is that shit???? If this happened at a hotel in the civilized world you can bet heads would roll and there would be some hefty fines. Forget about the character issues, shitty reservation system and out right bald face lying to customers... this is a major safety concern!! Now the fucking place is taking lives in their hands. If the place is always booked like everyone says it is, why can't they afford to fix something simple like these electrical issues. Hate to see what happens if one of these shitty wiring jobs turns into a fire and kills people!!!

I worked in the construction industry and a cable industry for over 15 years. That is some fucked up shit in these pictures!! I would post these pictures on every Dominican and Travel related board you can Crossfire and thanks for sharing them.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3somefan For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Why the fuck would someone hardwire the LAMP into a wall outlet ??
    Thats insane on so many different levels . I cant believe a handyman would do this . I cant believe Lorezo would authorize something like that.
    Lives aside, noone wants a fire in their hotel.
    So If this is true, Lorenzo needs to handle that employee for sure, or maybe he already did ??
    Hey, I had a Superintendant once put a Penny into a Fuse box,and it DID CAUSE A FIRE...luckily during the DAY. I took pics and every time he asks for a raise I show him the pics and tell him he is lucky to have a freaking job.
    That is definitely fucked up.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thats insane on so many different levels . I cant believe a handyman would do this . I cant believe Lorezo would authorize something like that.
    Lives aside, noone wants a fire in their hotel.
    So If this is true, Lorenzo needs to handle that employee for sure, or maybe he already did ??
    Hey, I had a Superintendant once put a Penny into a Fuse box,and it DID CAUSE A FIRE...luckily during the DAY. I took pics and every time he asks for a raise I show him the pics and tell him he is lucky to have a freaking job.
    That is definitely fucked up.
    You are a pretty good guy to allow him to still have his job, not so sure I would be able to do that!!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to 3somefan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 97,678 Times in 17,146 Posts

Looks like Dominican electrical code to me

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hunter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3somefan View Post
    You are a pretty good guy to allow him to still have his job, not so sure I would be able to do that!!
    He's got a wife and 2 girls, one has to look at the bigger picture.
    I only fire someone when its deliberately malicious, or the person just doesnt give a shit .
    People make mistakes, no ?
    Its what you do after the mistake that shows who you really are.
    Although I agree, asking for a raise after almost burning down one of my assets, is pretty ballsey.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,313 Times in 734 Posts

Lets not all bash the New Garden

I have stayed there for the last 4 years and although its not perfect its still a great option compared to the other Hotels.

Whenever I had a problem and mentioned it to Wilfried or Lorenzo they were quick to act and get it fixed. Remember this is just me. Everyone else has their own scenarios.

Overall the quality of the New Garden compared to other hotels is much better.

I stayed at the Europa, Seabreeze and others and I have to tell you not only was the wiring and cleanliness under par but little friends were crawling all over the place when the lights were out.

Remember folks this is the Dominican Republic.

Again this is my experience and I truly enjoy staying at the New Garden and no I am not getting paid to write this.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gmalet For This Useful Post:

Thanks

He's got a wife and 2 girls, one has to look at the bigger picture.
    I only fire someone when its deliberately malicious, or the person just doesnt give a shit .
    People make mistakes, no ?
    Its what you do after the mistake that shows who you really are.
    Although I agree, asking for a raise after almost burning down one of my assets, is pretty ballsey.
    That is why you are a good guy in my book jd!!

Oh and yes.. WE ALL make mistakes!! That may be a good idea for a bumper sticker!! jejeje

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmalet View Post
    and no I am not getting paid to write this.
    Are you sure about this buddy??

BTW.. I am been trying to catch up a bit on the site and I am not seeing any of your recent Harley adventures???

Thanks
    Thanked 4,313 Times in 734 Posts

I've been in the DR. Had a couple of small rides but no hot girls to post.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to gmalet For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information