Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with Policia? Who do i call?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 860 Posts

Re: Problems with Policia? Who do i call?

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    A person has to do what they feel comfortable with. You might not be in Sosua or other tourist area. You might be solo in the middle of Santo Domingo and not in a position to say "fuck you" to the Policia. What if they don't want to give you a ticket or let you go? What if they want to get in your car and direct you to a side street? What then? What if you've got a plane to catch and don't have time to play games with them? So i think we've offered different ways to handle the situation. One has to make an assessment and do what they're most comfortable with.
    This is very true. Most of the time we was stopped in the Capitol city. Once in Santiago and once in Puerto Plata. Never in Sosua. It was late at night (going to casas). The streets were pretty deserted. Who knows what the corrupt policia might do to you. That's why we just paid them the couple hundred pesos!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hioctane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    PS thanks for the valuable post and I hope this isn't a stupid question but I wouldn't be my first Would you please tell me what you mean by being in the bright green clown car? Do you rent green cars or am I missing something or what?
    Sometimes when you rent, the cars are easily recognizable as rentals. And most of those times it's because of the color. I've been given green, orange, red, etc, etc. And when you rent economy, you'll get a colorful very small car; hence the term "clown car" like the ones in the circus.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bulletin: On my last trip I got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt in Sosua -from the nice female AMET cop. No go to station, no shake down, and very friendly on advising me how to pay. I SHIT YOU NOT! It was about 30 bucks, but I did pay (I know, I know) but I was impressed! The funny thing was there were at least 4 people standing in the back of the truck yahooing ... oh well, its a beginning - and no resentment on my part. I always try and get the name of the newest police regional anti-corruption officer (or perhaps corruption coordinator??) when I am in country. I babble all Spanish words I can remember, in no order, then throw his name in and demand to see him NOW. NO CASH for N.P's ever exchanged after several stops using this approach! Give it a try!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 51,129 Times in 9,453 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Bulletin: On my last trip I got a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt in Sosua -from the nice female AMET cop. No go to station, no shake down, and very friendly on advising me how to pay. I SHIT YOU NOT! It was about 30 bucks, but I did pay (I know, I know) but I was impressed! The funny thing was there were at least 4 people standing in the back of the truck yahooing ... oh well, its a beginning - and no resentment on my part. I always try and get the name of the newest police regional anti-corruption officer (or perhaps corruption coordinator??) when I am in country. I babble all Spanish words I can remember, in no order, then throw his name in and demand to see him NOW. NO CASH for N.P's ever exchanged after several stops using this approach! Give it a try!
    AMET never tries to shake you down. This thread really relates to the Policia!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to psriches For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

CESTUR becomes POLITUR again

At the initiative of Minoru Matsunaga, the newly appointed brigadier general of the tourist police, the name CESTUR (Cuerpo Especializado de Seguridad TurÃ*stica) is changed to POLITUR (Dirección Central de PolicÃ*a de Turismo). POLITUR was previously the name of the tourist police. The brigadier general wants to wipe the slate clean after the commotion about alleged corruption within the tourist police. There was even talk of mafia practices. The previous commander had already been temporarily replaced by the Air Force Colonel. In a memorandum, the brigadier general announced that from now on the name POLITUR must be used in internal and external communication and in logos.

Source: cdn.com.do

Minoru Matsunaga

‘Forbear to judge, for we are sinners all’

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,340 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by questner View Post
    CESTUR becomes POLITUR again

At the initiative of Minoru Matsunaga, the newly appointed brigadier general of the tourist police, the name CESTUR (Cuerpo Especializado de Seguridad TurÃ*stica) is changed to POLITUR (Dirección Central de PolicÃ*a de Turismo). POLITUR was previously the name of the tourist police. The brigadier general wants to wipe the slate clean after the commotion about alleged corruption within the tourist police. There was even talk of mafia practices. The previous commander had already been temporarily replaced by the Air Force Colonel. In a memorandum, the brigadier general announced that from now on the name POLITUR must be used in internal and external communication and in logos.

Source: cdn.com.do

Click to see pic Minoru Matsunaga

Wash, Rinse, Repeat... The DR own the saying; Same thing, different day!
    “I don’t know the question, but sex is definitely the answer.”

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steviewonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 31,159 Times in 5,854 Posts

same same but different!

I least I've been with one cafe-con-sake girl (half Dominican - half Japanese)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to questner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by psriches View Post
    Sometimes when you rent, the cars are easily recognizable as rentals. And most of those times it's because of the color. I've been given green, orange, red, etc, etc. And when you rent economy, you'll get a colorful very small car; hence the term "clown car" like the ones in the circus.
    Always get a silver/gray or black car possibly with tinted windows.You blend in better!

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Latina_Banger_1 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information