Thread: Dominican ATMs

Thanks
    Thanked 6,363 Times in 867 Posts

Dominican ATMs

I recently enountered 2 problems in Sosua. One day I went to the ATM at the end of the strip near Passions. It was in the morning and sunny as shit. I could barely see the screen. It took me a minute so I could make shit out. I got my loot from the ATM, made a couple of transactions and headed back to the room. When I got back to the room, realized that the ATM never gave me back my card. I went right to the bank and the clerk opened up the ATM from the back and gave me my card. He said that when you take a little longer the machine will keep your card because so many cards get stolen and used by non-owners that the banks do this as a precaution.

On January 21, a Friday night, I went to another ATM. The one near the liquor store where there are 2 banks across the street from each other. I tried to get out RD$4,500. A receipt came out but no money? I didn't know what the fuck happen so I tried again with RD$2,000. This time the money and receipt came out. At that point I realized I just got fucked. THe bank was closed so I went back in the morning and was told I would need to reconcile the shit with my bank. I talked to an American that owns a bar in Sosua and he told me the same thing happen to him at the airport, but he never got the money back. Just today, the money was put pack into my account. It took a little less than a week to get it cleared up.

I may be stating the obvious, but keep in mind that shit we take for granted in the USA ain't always in the DR. Double check all your receipts, bills, condoms ... every fuckin thing.

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts
    I haven't had a problem with ATM's (knock wood), except for when they run out of cash!
    :x

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts
    fuck that ... i bring what i will need for my trip and put it in the safe... carry around between 100-200 US but in pesos
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas
    fuck that ... i bring what i will need for my trip and put it in the safe... carry around between 100-200 US but in pesos
    I do the same thing. I also bring a credit card for emergencies and a bank card but I don't count on using them. You can get a cash advance at the bank on your credit card with a passport. Traveller's cheques are a pain in the ass for me and you pay a point or 2 to buy them, get a poor rate to cash them and lose again if you return them to your bank back home. I don't really see the need. The DR is safe enough if you use your brain.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts
    always use the ATm.. plus internet banking to steer money into the account. I always use the banks that Domenicans use and always during the day.. preferably with a guy with a shotgun standing next to me.. sometimes they let you play with it if you ask nicely.. sometimes if the teller is extremely nice I ask for assistance and tell them I miss something on the receipt.. when they ask me what I tell them I am missing their phonenumbers.. sometimes they give it out..

just make sure you arrive nicely dressed and in a big jeepeta if you wanna try that shit though..

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts
    Last trip I used them about 8 times and never had a problem.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 26,907 Times in 6,119 Posts
    Last trip, I used them as well, but got jerked one time at the Scotia Bank ATM. I tried to get out 4000RD, but no money. I tried it again, then money was released from it.

Thanks
    i always use ATM, i get every day my days need out of the machine, i dont walk around with more than 1.000 pesos. never was screwed by the machine. sometimes, the network is down, but thats part of the deal. i carry, so no shitty thief gets much of a chance with me.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,616 Times in 1,767 Posts
    by the way were talking ATM = ass to mouth right.. just to get things straight... hate to see these issues confused

Thread Information