Thread: Rhode Island Legislature Criminalizes Indoor Prostitution

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,190 Times in 1,585 Posts

Rhode Island Legislature Criminalizes Indoor Prostitution

R.I. lawmakers vote to close prostitution loophole

By Ray Henry, Associated Press | October 30, 2009

PROVIDENCE - Under legislation approved yesterday by lawmakers, Rhode Island will close a loophole allowing prostitutes to ply their trade indoors.
    The bill, approved late last night, would make prostitution a misdemeanor offense regardless of where it occurs. Prostitutes would face a maximum six-month prison sentence for a first offense, and their customers could face up to a year.

Governor Don Carcieri supports closing the nearly 30-year-old loophole allowing indoor prostitution and is expected to sign the legislation.
    Rhode Island and Nevada are the only states that allow indoor prostitution. Rhode Island’s General Assembly, trying to crack down on outdoor solicitations, passed a law in 1980 that was silent on paid sex indoors.

As a result, more than two dozen suspected brothels operate across the state.

“It’s been a black eye for the state for such a long period of time,’’ said Senator Paul Jabour, a Providence Democrat.

The bill’s opponents have warned that criminalizing indoor prostitution will make the lives of drug-addicted or impoverished women harder and possibly make victims of human trafficking more reluctant to seek medical help or legal assistance for fear of being reported.

“It’s difficult to support a law that lumps victims in essentially the same category as offenders,’’ said Laura Pisaturo, director of advocacy and legal services for Day One, which helps victims of sexual abuse. Her organization would support a law that jailed customers but not prostitutes, she said.

Many of the state’s suspected brothels bill themselves as massage parlors, advertising services such as table showers and body rubs. Courts have dismissed charges against prostitutes arrested by police in brothel raids even when they admit offering sex in exchange for cash, because it is not illegal.

Michael Kiselica, a lawyer who has represented brothel owners, said his clients may sue the state if the bill becomes law. He said there will be unintended economic consequences.

“What happens when you suddenly create a large number of unemployed people who the day before were gainfully and lawfully employed?’’ he said. “What consideration did the state give to those people?’’

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

Re: Rhode Island Legislature Criminalizes Indoor Prostitution

Thank God, we have righteous, altruistic politicians who have nothing better to do with their time than protect us from ourselves. I bet these guys will still know where to go to get a piece of ass.
    Blue Devil

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Thanks

oh What The Fuck....

this is gonna kill all of the strip clubs down in Providence....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MedellinisMowgli For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yeah, and there are lots of Asian massage parlors and many of these workers (Chinese and Koreans) either live in Rhode Island, or come up from New York on a regular basis. Opponents of prostitution (certain feminists, the Catholic Church, and other santimonious idiots) assume that all these sex workers are victims of human trafficking, but that's not true at all of course.

A women's studies feminist film-maker actually spent some time in the AMPs and then found herself to be in support of the sex workers continuing to work without government interference, and has made a documentary called Happy Endings? http://www.happyendingsdoc.com/

Many civil libertarians are also in support of the continued legalization of prostitution and have opposed the self-righteous hypocrites who have brought about this legislation. One legislator against the criminalization of prostitution is David Segal who wrote the following recent article for the Huffington Post, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-..._b_334297.html

But these more reasonable people cannot prevail. A New England once burdened by Puritans now has in their place a coalition of one subset of feminists (the unthinking, man-hating contingent) together with the Catholic Church to revive their self-righteous idiocy. It looks as though Nevada (and only certain parts of it) will soon be the only place in the US where prostitution is legal. The governor of RI is expected to sign the new bill into law.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to curiousdude For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,992 Times in 1,322 Posts

Hopefully the governor and every lawmaker that voted for this will one day be Spitzered.
    We surveyed 100 chicas and the top 69 answers are on the board. Here's the question...

I.S.O.B.B.C.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dick Dawson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Dawson View Post
    Hopefully the governor and every lawmaker that voted for this will one day be Spitzered.
    And I bet if we even follow these guys for a month.. Heads would be rolling before the month is over!

Thanks

well the bill was signed in today....

fucking cunts

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MedellinisMowgli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Man shows you what I know, I didn't even know that prostitution was legal in Rhode Island, had no idea.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

Thanks

just got back from seeing one of my lovelies at the strip club,,,

this Law is going to have serious economic and social consequences

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, it seems the Rhode Island State Police is already at it. As prostitution in RI is now completely underground, the law enforcement harrassment has already started. In the first big sting, in which 8 johns and 6 whores were arrested - Update: Police arrest 14 under RI's new prostitution law - one of the arrested johns was a guy who works as mascot "Pat Patriot" for the New England Patriots. 'Pat Patriot' among 14 arrested in RI prostitution sting

Thanks
    Thanked 55,585 Times in 14,260 Posts

Can you blame the guy? With a head like that it can't be easy to get laid!
    A while back I predicted that, as the noose tightens around TFG's neck, both he and the Maga Morons here would post ever more idiotic crap. Right again.

“It was a violent insurrection for the purpose of trying to prevent a peaceful transfer of power after a legitimately certified election from one administration to the next," McConnell told reporters. "That’s what it was."

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PapiQueRico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 686 Posts

i know a couple girls in canada that would travel to ri to strip and make money... welp guess i wont be seeing them in a while

Thanks

Well, I guess all those koreans will be heading back home (Queens County) in NYC.
    It's interesting because there are a bunch of new mp's opening up here in NYC recently.
    Searching for the ultimate Squirter!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MegaSquirt For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Nope Its business as usuall I've been to Lilly's spa.(providence,RI) many times since the law change. If there was a bust they would have to catch you in the act while your getting a table shower or on the flip in the massage room. Check out spahunters
    Rick
    excuse my spellin

24. The Following User Says Thank You to riclagriclag For This Useful Post:

Thread Information