Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Budget at POP

Thanks

Budget at POP

Anybody have any experience renting a car from the Budget Rent-a-car office in POP?

Their rates look amazing - less than $150 a week, including the fees!!!

Also - how do you say 'spare tire' and 'jack' in spanish?

TIA,
    MrNat

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,405 Times in 78,293 Posts

Re: Budget at POP

Quote Originally Posted by mrnatural
    Anybody have any experience renting a car from the Budget Rent-a-car office in POP?

TIA,
    MrNat

You must look in the trunk, and show them what they gave you won't work.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

TIA,
    MrNat
    thats a great rate
    they want $50/day in sousa
    post their website if you have it.
    going down again as soon as i can get things set up here and want a car again (rented marcos olds at new years 20/day)
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

Thanks

I just got it off the regular Orbitz car search: http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewCarResults?z=8902&r=2n

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts

I have heard of the bait and switch routine at the rental companies. If you book on line bring a copy of all the prices quoted. i think a few people have got the $150 deal that turned out to be a total of $284 mas o menos.

Thanks

What about insurance?

Thanks

Liability is an extra $50 a week. I get collision & comprehensive on my credit card.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,057 Posts

People have told me that they have paid 22 bucks/day, renting from the airport, for a late model Nissan Sentra.
    I asked about insurance, and they said it was included, although I don't know what deductible there was.
    Still, the price is excellent and the car's not bad, either, so it would make sense, that they are offering a $150 US/week deal.
    Remember to drive according to the rules here, which is no rules at all.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 2,115 Posts

Mrnatural,

I have used Budget at POP airport least 4 times on my trips to the promised land. You can book your reservation online at budget.com. Print out your reservation with confirmation number and take it with you. I only had 1 problem with their cars. Once the car didn't have a CD player so I brought the car back the next day and they gave me another car. All their cars have been very new (maybe a year or 2 old).

As far as insurance check to see if your credit card will insure you rental. I use AMEX gold and hey charge me 1 time charge of $20 and they cover 100% of the rental car in case of accident. Keep in mind that most insurance coverage you get from credit cards ONLY covers YOUR car. So the only decision I need to make is if I want the additional coverage to cover the other guys car in case of an accident.

So I usually rent for about $80 then waive the liability coverage as my AMEX covers my car. I add the additional ins $8 a day to cover anyones car I hit cause I don't wanna deal with that BS.

I hope you can follow that...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moshy2k For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

i rented a Sentra from Alamo at STI airport for $100 plus fees for 4 days... It was $126... You can get a compact car for a few bucks less and if they are out of them then they give u the sentra... Definitely book it online and use ur card... I didnt get any extra insurance...
    Brooklyn Beas - Mi Tesoro Medellin Part 5 - Green Section with uncensored Videos and Pictures
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?429038-04-14-(4-18-5-5)-Mi-Tesoro-Beas-in-Meddy-Part5

Beas in Meddy, just a daily progress report
    http://news.insearchofchicas.org/forum/showthread.php?428980-04-2014-Beas-in-Meddy-just-a-daily-progress-report

Thanks
    Thanked 46,708 Times in 7,069 Posts

and u dont have to worry about how to say spare tire or jack... The people at the car rental speak english very well... By the way Goma is tire... pronounced just how i spelled it... Go-Ma... Which actually translates to rubber... but its a tire too... Have fun Santa!

Thanks

Thanx Beas!!

I'll probably see you there Thanksgiving.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,768 Times in 930 Posts

Spare tire=====neumático de repuesto
    Car lift, jack, magic elevation of your car===elevación del coche
    traveling the world in search of chicas, good friends and liveing life as if every day were my last

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBeas
    By the way Goma is tire... pronounced just how i spelled it... Go-Ma... Which actually translates to rubber..
    You got that right.
    If you go to a pharmacy asking for gomas, you would get condoms.
    If you go to the office supply store, they would give you rubber bands.
    At the car parts dealer, you would get tires.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bentwire
    Spare tire=====neumático de repuesto
    Car lift, jack, magic elevation of your car===elevación del coche
    To be practical around the Sosua area, "repuesto" would be better understood for a spare tire and "gato" for a jack.
    Some more educated people may understand the translations you used, but many will not.
    They have their own little language around here.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,131 Times in 1,649 Posts

OK, i see what car you are talking about. It is the Fiat Palio. To be honest i can not drive a standard and value my life too much to be driving a sardine can in the DR. But then again ask Jayman how i drive and he will tell you i need a Jeepeta. I do the airport run in about 7 minutes with traffic. I rented a Toyota Corolla before and had 6 flats in 10 days. When you get a flat the best place to get it fixxed in Sosua is the shop just past the Texico going towards Cabarette on the left. I think it was 50 or 60 pesos if the rim is not fucked up also.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,076 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guttaman
    OK, i see what car you are talking about. It is the Fiat Palio. To be honest i can not drive a standard and value my life too much to be driving a sardine can in the DR.
    The Fiat Palio is good if you are just going to be in one area driving but around the country forget about it . Like gutterman I always drive a jeepeta you will never see me drive a regular car in the DR with all the pot-holes and sink-holes in the streets, I remember I went to Jarabacoa 2 years ago there must of been a 2 mile radius of a street full of pot-holes and sink-holes lucky I had a jeepeta because a regular car would of never made it through those streets.

Thanks

I'm not really planning to go that far afield, mainly just from BB to Bohen and/or Cristal's. I'll probably head into Sosua about 4 or 5 times during the week, and maybe a trip to Cabarete. I figure I'll be fine as long as I can avoid most of the potholes on the road from Puerto Plata to Sosua - I've been on it enuf times to know where most of them are.

And I've been driving a stick for almost 40 years, so that's not an issue. Automatic was only about 20 bucks more, but it looks like that Fiat has only got a 1.1 liter engine, so it's probably a total dog with the automatic.

Thanks

I have used them before. The $148.00 rate is for a Fiat Polo.... not bad but stay on the main roads. Some words of caution

Insurance.... Watch Out!!!!!!!! What everyone says about their Credit Card is correct.... but you are in the Dominican Republic... They don t give a rats ass about your Visa or Amex ! If you have an accident... and don t have local insurance YOU WILL PAY BEFORE YOU LEAVE PARADISE ... and you will get a free stay at Casa Miraflores.... That is the Green Building to the left of the Playero (POLICE STATION). I know this for a fact as I have bailed out 3 people so far! Now your credit card and insurance company will probably reimburse you

So if you rent from Budget buy insurance or rent from someone that includes insurance

Also, when renting from Budget be patient... the rental process takes about an hour and so does the return. When you bring the car back I seem to always get hit with a gas charge (3/4 out 5/8 in) EXPENSIVE

Also if you rent for the week that is 7 days don t try to bring it back in 6 days or you get the daily rate

Now... you can stand there and argue about how you read the gas gauge or 6 days and 3 hours is 7 days... but if you are like me you get to the airport rarely enough time to make your flight!

For me Budget doesn t work out so well. I like Jeepeta and Budget is way over priced.

I personally rent from Adventure Rent Car (Jason or Gipsy) I get a Jeepeta for 45 to 50 a day including Insurance. They have an Office at POP and STI with no drop off charges. They deliver the car to you if you want. If you break down they dispatch another car ASAP. Happened to me on the Moca road

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tampabukkake For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information