Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Budget at POP

Thanks

Re: Budget at POP

Quote Originally Posted by tampabukkake
    Insurance.... Watch Out!!!!!!!! What everyone says about their Credit Card is correct.... but you are in the Dominican Republic... They don t give a rats ass about your Visa or Amex ! If you have an accident... and don t have local insurance YOU WILL PAY BEFORE YOU LEAVE PARADISE ...
    If you rent from a major car rental (Budget, Alamo, National, Hertz) they won't honor the insurance? Can't you request something in writing in advance that the rental agency will honor the CC Insurance?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,313 Times in 734 Posts

I have used them before. The $148.00 rate is for a Fiat Polo.... not bad but stay on the main roads. Some words of caution

Insurance.... Watch Out!!!!!!!! What everyone says about their Credit Card is correct.... but you are in the Dominican Republic... They don t give a rats ass about your Visa or Amex ! If you have an accident... and don t have local insurance YOU WILL PAY BEFORE YOU LEAVE PARADISE ... and you will get a free stay at Casa Miraflores.... That is the Green Building to the left of the Playero (POLICE STATION). I know this for a fact as I have bailed out 3 people so far! Now your credit card and insurance company will probably reimburse you

So if you rent from Budget buy insurance or rent from someone that includes insurance

Also, when renting from Budget be patient... the rental process takes about an hour and so does the return. When you bring the car back I seem to always get hit with a gas charge (3/4 out 5/8 in) EXPENSIVE

Also if you rent for the week that is 7 days don t try to bring it back in 6 days or you get the daily rate

Now... you can stand there and argue about how you read the gas gauge or 6 days and 3 hours is 7 days... but if you are like me you get to the airport rarely enough time to make your flight!

For me Budget doesn t work out so well. I like Jeepeta and Budget is way over priced.

I personally rent from Adventure Rent Car (Jason or Gipsy) I get a Jeepeta for 45 to 50 a day including Insurance. They have an Office at POP and STI with no drop off charges. They deliver the car to you if you want. If you break down they dispatch another car ASAP. Happened to me on the Moca road

I agree Adventure is the way to go. A buddy of mine fucked up a Jeepeta really bad. Had local insurance and they brought him another. Just like that. Credit Card insurances only reimburse you. Your on vacation. Don't go the cheap route when it comes to cars. I've seen too many accidents happen down there. Driving on the roads kill the small economy cars. Get a beefy vehicle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by herbf
    If you rent from a major car rental (Budget, Alamo, National, Hertz) they won't honor the insurance? Can't you request something in writing in advance that the rental agency will honor the CC Insurance?
    I called the credit card companies on this, and it turns out the CC insurance only covers collision and comprehensive, not liability. So you definitely need the local liability insurance from the rental agency. I already said a few posts back that I was planning to get that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrnatural
    I called the credit card companies on this, and it turns out the CC insurance only covers collision and comprehensive, not liability. So you definitely need the local liability insurance from the rental agency. I already said a few posts back that I was planning to get that.
    Right now that is not my concern as I found the same information on Visa.com. What I don't understand is in the event of an accident does the CC pay the bill or reimburse you. That is a major factor to consider.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrnatural
    Their rates look amazing - less than $150 a week, including the fees!!!
    Try going to Budget.com. The rate does not include the fees. Using your CC for CDW the cost will be $238.17 for a 1.1 litre manual ship matchbox.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,385 Times in 4,164 Posts

I personally rent from Adventure Rent Car (Jason or Gipsy) I get a Jeepeta for 45 to 50 a day including Insurance. They have an Office at POP and STI with no drop off charges. They deliver the car to you if you want. If you break down they dispatch another car ASAP. Happened to me on the Moca road
    I second TB here. They even came out to me & Reel Deal to fix a flat because while the Jeepeta had a jack, spare, and tire iron, the tire iron didn't fit the lugs! Only in the DR!

They will work with you price wise if you visit often, but don't look for a discount on your first trip. Jason mans the POP office and Gipsy is in STI and she is the half owner of Adventure.
    Try our new ISOC Features!
    • Create a Countdown Timer for your upcoming trip or a special date here.
    • Print out one of our Money Cheat Sheets so you know much shit costs! here
    • Create Albums for your Pictures here.
    • Join Social Groups to view other's Albums here.
    • Browse our concise & informative Wiki here.
    • Learn Spanish, Check Exchange Rates, or The Weather.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don Tomas For This Useful Post:

Thanks

DT the website says they have an office at SDQ but I can't get any price quotes. Does the SDQ office still exist?

Thanks

The major car rental places are in name only, franchises, not answering to the home office, except when their franchise fee is late.

You can read some horror stories on DR1 about renting.

Thanks

DT the website says they have an office at SDQ but I can't get any price quotes. Does the SDQ office still exist?
    No there is no physical office but they are willing to drop a car off there, they charge a fee, forget how much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Tomas
    The major car rental places are in name only, franchises, not answering to the home office, except when their franchise fee is late.

You can read some horror stories on DR1 about renting.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Now I understand why Alamo and National rent the exact same cars and have the same address to drop off.

I have read some of the horror stories. That is what keeps me from making the move to rent a car. One thing to have a freak accident in the states but in the DR???????

Thanks

Herb
    In the case of a friend, AMEX Gold would pay the charges directly to the rental agency!
    All he had to do was get an estimate from the rental agency and send it in. AMEX would proccess the payment. No problem right? Just had to enjoy his stay at Hotel Miraflores (Police Station) and wait for the transfer. AMEX told him they would due their best to have it all wrapped up within 72 hours! Or he could post a deposit equal to the damages.

Well my friend decided it was better to put $1500.00 for the damages on his Credit Card and for me to loan him $500.00 to pay for the damages to the other car than sit in jail. Top it off, I still don t believe it was my friends fault.

I tried calling in some favors and the best we could arrange was instead of jail, he would be held in the office of the Politur Major.

By the way.... imagine what a Fiat looks like when it runs into a horse or a cow?

DT is right Adventure has somewhat of a satellite office in SDQ. Once they couldn t send me a car, they had another rental agency waiting for me at arrivals with my name. I used it for a couple of days then when I got to Santiago dropped it off at Adventure and they gave me another Jeepeta! Now that is service!!!

I think DT is the King of Rentals and Repairs in the DR!!!

Thanks

Herb
    In the case of a friend, AMEX Gold would pay the charges directly to the rental agency!

All he had to do was get an estimate from the rental agency and send it in. AMEX would proccess the payment. No problem right? Just had to enjoy his stay at Hotel Miraflores (Police Station) and wait for the transfer. AMEX told him they would due their best to have it all wrapped up within 72 hours! Or he could post a deposit equal to the damages.
    Doesn't seem like it's worth it. So CC CDW is a scam. I think I will email visa and see what they say. I will put them on the spot and see how they wiggle out of it.

So am I correct to say the only safe way to rent a car is to get the rental agency's insurance?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 2,115 Posts

Hey Tampa,

They couldn't just charge it all to his AMEX then let the car place and Amex work it out later??? Amex told me let them charge whatever they want on it and call them afterwards to straighten it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,026 Times in 2,115 Posts

I guess I will go back to getting both of their insurance. Tampa, if you have both the rental companies insurance are you then covered ( no time spent at police station)?

Thanks

That is exactly what he did, figured they would work it out later..... but by agreeing to the charge AMEX gave him a bit of a hard time saying it was over priced, in the end he settled with AMEX for 750 each

As far as getting both insurance, I will say I am no expert.... but I would rather have them on my side

In two cases where Adventure was involved, Gipsy ( Jason once) came to the scene talked to the Policia and everybody went on their merry way (with a little pay off I am sure)

I have also heard the their is a guy in Caberrete ( Prestige I think) who gives the same service

Only thing is I don t think he is in Santiago

Thanks

I think DT is the King of Rentals and Repairs in the DR!!!
    Hey now some of the issues were out of my control like the windshield meeting "una roca loca" and a side window meeting a fucking ladron!

Thanks

In two cases where Adventure was involved, Gipsy ( Jason once) came to the scene talked to the Policia and everybody went on their merry way (with a little pay off I am sure)
    There was a similar thread on DR1 about Gipsy who came to the police station in the middle of night to argue the renter's case. The Dominican rear-ended the gringo and at first it was the gringo's fault until Gipsy showed up.

Seriously I highly recommend Adverture over anyone else, a local company that is professional! And all I am is a customer.

I have a second story to share, I never elaborated in my trip report because I was on "family" business. But I was litterally going up a mountain offroad, seriously offroad, ask gdogg! 4x4 only, all red clay about 5,000 ft up the side of the mountain, one hour past the nearest town to a coffee plantation, just describing it so you get an idea of what I was putting this rental through. While we (7 of us, Dominican style) were headed a familar face came by on a dirt bike, a real dirt bike a moto never would make it. It was the other owner of Adventure!!!!!! He stops and asks "What are you doing here? You are in trouble!", I was at a loss for words at first since he was absolutely the last person I ever expected to see! Then he sees Reel Deal a few trucks back and goes to him, also I couldn't just stop and chat or I would start sliding backwards, I am talking serious offroad. So the relatives in the back tell me he is a distant cousin, thank god! So when he came back around I started fucking with him. He asks again what am I doing here with his jeepeta. So I reply "¿Dónde está la playa?", "¿Dónde está las putas?" he tells me Just turn right here and go down the mountain until I hit water! Well we finally meet up at the family reunion and he tells me, "I had a feeling you needed an upgrade this trip, I must by psychic". Nothing was ever said when I returned the car.
    Last edited by Don Tomas; 06-26-2006 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

DT, I remember that like it was yesterday. Talk about a small world. Was that the greatest weekend or what!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,418 Times in 1,349 Posts

I have only rented once on our last visit last month - however I would fully recommend them.
    I admit - I had no accident, no damage to the car and didnt need to use a jack - i guess you can only tell how good a company is when things go wrong. If things dont - MELODY rentals were cheap, cars of a average standard, cheap and the team a pleasent bunch.
    Location - With Playa Dorada on your right go along the road past Cafe Cito - then you come to a small row of shops. At the end of this row you will find Melody.
    I will definately rent from them again when we return in January.

Dan

Thanks
    Thanked 27,482 Times in 5,636 Posts

I am renting a car from Alamo for a week upon my arrival at STI in October. After reading this post last night, I felt compelled to make a few phone calls to AMEX and Alamo to clear up some of the mystery behind car rental insurance.

I have premium car rental insurance from AMEX which provides complete CDW/Theft Protection coverage...meaning no money out of my pocket for any damage to my rented vehicle. It is automatically activated once I use my AMEX card to rent the car... and a one-time charge of $24.95 per rental is billed to my account. If I elect CDW/Theft Protection from the rental agency, it cancels and supercedes the AMEX policy. The AMEX plan, however, does not provide any liability coverage for damage to a third-party vehicle. The AMEX people advised me to contact Alamo to see if Primary Liability Insurance (PLI) could be applied separately to the rental period.

When I called Alamo, they checked my reservation, and informed me that I would not need their CDW/Theft Protection, if I used the AMEX coverage, and that liability insurance in the DR is already included in the basic rental agreement...no additional coverage from Alamo is required. (I will make it a point to have this confirmed in the written agreement when I rent the car.)

I always carry a paper copy, and store an electronic copy in my e-mail account, of my AMEX premium rental car policy (with phone numbers) whenever I rent a car.
    Blue Devil

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueDevil For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information