Thread: Santiago Hotel Century Plaza 11/09

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Santiago Hotel Century Plaza 11/09

Someone PM'd me asking how my hotel situation came out in Santiago and asking for info so I will post it here for all to be able to share the info.
    After Halloween weekend in Sosua I drove to STI because I was flying out of there the next morning.

I would not classify the Century as a chica friendly hotel but I did book for 2 people on Expedia intending to find and bring a Chica with me from Sosua as I posted before my trip. We had no problem checking in together however we did stop briefly at her house and also at her mothers house in POP for her to get some different clothes and shoes then the ones she had with her in Sosua with me on the weekend. I would not try it with a painted whore in a mini dress.

I will try to remember to post about some interesting dining experiences in POP some good and some horrible sometime.

The hotel is somewhat formal and proper with the Expedia rate of $58 not including the 16% tax. There website shows 1800 RD 1 person and 2300 for 2 people I assume without the tax but unsure so it would be $50 for 1 person if you book direct. It includes breakfast and a welcome drink in the restaurant.

They offer wake up calls and all the modern amenities including mini bar and real safe, safe ice, internet, parking, airport trans., and many optional things. I should mention those rates are for the base room which I believe they call an Exective Room and they do offer grades above that like Superior Executive.

The adjoining bar and restaurant is a bit formal white table cloth type of place but casual enough to enjoy. The business center really is just 2 computers on the end of the bar but perfect for me to check email and get a beer at the same time. Prices actually about like Baileys and even a little less for beer maybe like 85 or 90 including the tax they also add on. They do have patio tables outside for a more casual environment and have good food and drinks.

Timely wake up call and can't comment on breakfast because it starts at 7 and I wanted to head out worrying about how to return the rental car since there are no rental return signs at the airport which I checked out the day before.

It was very easy to hop back on Duarte when we wanted to run down to the Monument area where the highway ends a couple of times to look around. The chica I was with knew the area so it was fine. There is also a local bar/dining option right on Vidal Rafael out in front of the Century Plaza which is really like a small strip mall with the hotel at the back.

I will post a couple of pictures but most of them have people and faces in so I don't want to upset anyone there.
    Notice on the floor the funny silver flat flip flop slippers she selected as elegant shoes. I noticed being 5'11 or 6 foot she didn't want to be taller than most of the other people who seemed to be shorter there than some countries. Mostly just us visitors hitting 6'2 plus.

In conclusion you will be safe and secure here and get what they advertise.

Just Doing It

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,529 Times in 1,081 Posts

Re: Santiago Hotel Century Plaza 11/09

How was the drive from Sosua to Santiago? Was the hotel easy to find? I am going to be making the same drive in a few weeks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wrgold For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrgold View Post
    How was the drive from Sosua to Santiago? Was the hotel easy to find? I am going to be making the same drive in a few weeks
    It was fine most of the way about the same as driving from Sosua to POP until you get near Santiago. Then as you get close and are watching for signs , Good luck on that part, it got confusing. As approaching the city or entering it you come to a split that I am guessing we should have stayed to the left and somehow went around the city to the north and then down the west but I went right heading right into town ( she said so ) big mistake because we then were in a business inner city looking area that looked the same as any other latin city area. No clue how to get out of there or which way to go with no compass on the dash.

I wanted to find the airport and work my way back from there. She asked several people and they all seemed to contradict each other. I told her international and didn't know Cibao which to me would be Sibahoh or whatever. I think it is Sibayoh. Avis by phone on my rental agreement in POP was no help and had never been to STI and STI didn't answer the phone on Sunday. Finally she said the guy says there are 2 airports so I think great, Cibao but when she doesn't know about it and I can't say it right hell thats not good.

At this point I realize my mistake ( I was listening to a woman) stupid thing to do when they haven't lived there in 5 years and I am sure never been to the airport. I take over and ask people where the monument is and then from there no problem. I still have no idea how to get from 5 to the monument or the airport but I always find my way whether it is Mexico City, San Jose or where ever. Kind of a fun adventure. Helps to get a beer and a knobber in the car to take a break and relax before starting to look again.

I would add that I enjoyed my day and a half in Santiago and look forward to doing it again in January. That city has a lot to offer and I love to explore and find things out for myself and appreciate the tips of others to help out with that. I may ask some stupid questions sometimes but I find out more and faster than the average person that asks few or no questions. I look forward to spending half the winter there.
    Last edited by mikelodge; 11-12-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: clarity and added point

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,287 Times in 716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrgold View Post
    When you get to Santiago you'll hit a roundabout, you want to depart the opposite side going the same direction as when you entered. Stay on that road until you pass the Hotel Gran Almirante (or Friday's restaurant right before it) on your right. It should be about 8 traffic lights. After passing the Gran Almirante, stay to your right and don't go up on the overpass. Go to the second light and turn left. Follow that road (Ave. Duarte I think) until you hit Rafael Vidal. It is the second or third light with only a right hand turn. Follow Vidal for about a quarter of a mile and the Century Plaza is on your left but set way back from the road in an L shaped strip mall. You'll see two cabanas(one is the Pegasus) on the left and the strip mall is just after them. I believe it is a Claro store on the corner of the mall.
    Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KoKi9290 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KoKi9290 View Post
    When you get to Santiago you'll hit a roundabout, you want to depart the opposite side going the same direction as when you entered. Stay on that road until you pass the Hotel Gran Almirante (or Friday's restaurant right before it) on your right. It should be about 8 traffic lights. After passing the Gran Almirante, stay to your right and don't go up on the overpass. Go to the second light and turn left. Follow that road (Ave. Duarte I think) until you hit Rafael Vidal. It is the second or third light with only a right hand turn. Follow Vidal for about a quarter of a mile and the Century Plaza is on your left but set way back from the road in an L shaped strip mall. You'll see two cabanas(one is the Pegasus) on the left and the strip mall is just after them. I believe it is a Claro store on the corner of the mall.
    You got it mostly right and thank you. Duarte is the highway south of the hotel going to the airport starting downtown at the monument going east to the Airport and on to SDQ. The other autopista I missed at that roundabout you are referring to when I didn't circle it and continue east instead going south. We stopped at Fridays for a beer after coming out of the maze. You are describing the correct directions coming to Vidal Rafael on the north side of the hotel not from Duarte where you would go left (north instead of right and south like you mention) to hotel ect.
    Thanks again for phrasing it better than I could.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,768 Times in 930 Posts

what hapened to the Honduras adventure
    traveling the world in search of chicas, good friends and liveing life as if every day were my last

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bentwire View Post
    what hapened to the Honduras adventure
    In direct family of mine through one of my brothers was here in the states for the summer and they went back in Sept. It is quieter now and I would be up to going and will go some time or times this winter. I got side tracked taking the Halloween Vacation to Florida and on to the DR.

How about you, been down?

I have friends doing their usual winter cruising by boat all over the islands and East side of C.A. and I have to meet up with them in the Corn Islands which is off Nica but no firm dates yet. I hate that trip because it is to MIA then Managua then to Bluefields before puddle jumping to the Islands. When I do that trip I am sure it will involve Roatan on the same trip to same travel time for both of us but we both only have one minor business thing there and most of my stuff is in CR or Nica.

Let me know if you are going to be in H. When we hit Roatan we will be hitting the mainland as well. I would never do that trip alone with my limited Spanish so I need them to rock on if I am going to hit the mainland.
    Right now it is 2 more deer hunting trips then I leave MN for Florida on the 25th and only come back a few times for at most a few days at a time to check on things until the end of April. PM me if you are going to be there
    Last edited by mikelodge; 11-12-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: clarity

Thread Information