Thread: Car from Santo Domingo

Thanks

Car from Santo Domingo

I am planning on spending a long weekend in Sosua after concluding business in Santo Domingo. I will be flying into and out of the airport in Santo Domingo. I have looked at the bus schedules, and though they appear workable, they would be very inconvenient and not too compatible with a necessary early morning departure from Sosua.

I am American and in my thirties. I have plenty of experience driving and am able to operate a car in very hectic American driving conditions, such as DC, NY, LA, etc. I have also driven with some success, and no particular failures, in Mexico.

A few questions:

1. I saw the route on Google Earth. Looks generally like I would take Highway 1 to Highway 5. I would avoid the mountain route to stay on more navigable roads. Is the signage reasonable enough that it is fairly easy to remain on course if unfamiliar?

2. Are these roads reasonably paved the entire way? Can I get by with a car, or do I need an SUV?

3. How difficult are the roads around the larger towns?

4. Am I crazy for doing this? Should I just give up and take the bus?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Re: Car from Santo Domingo

Quote Originally Posted by joba62 View Post
    I am planning on spending a long weekend in Sosua after concluding business in Santo Domingo. I will be flying into and out of the airport in Santo Domingo. I have looked at the bus schedules, and though they appear workable, they would be very inconvenient and not too compatible with a necessary early morning departure from Sosua.

I am American and in my thirties. I have plenty of experience driving and am able to operate a car in very hectic American driving conditions, such as DC, NY, LA, etc. I have also driven with some success, and no particular failures, in Mexico.

A few questions:

1. I saw the route on Google Earth. Looks generally like I would take Highway 1 to Highway 5. I would avoid the mountain route to stay on more navigable roads. Is the signage reasonable enough that it is fairly easy to remain on course if unfamiliar? No

2. Are these roads reasonably paved the entire way? Yes Can I get by with a car, or do I need an SUV? Yes/No

3. How difficult are the roads around the larger towns? You need to know the way, or speak some spanish so you can ask directions

4. Am I crazy for doing this? Not necessarily Should I just give up and take the bus? Probably

Thanks!
    If you're the adventuresome type, and don't mind getting lost and taking longer than you expected, rent a car. You'll eventually make it, and probably enjoy it.

If you're tied to a time schedule, it may not be a good idea.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

If you're going to drive, the new highway is a little faster than Route 1, and much more scenic. In fact, you could probably shave off an hour driving time by taking it. Check out this thread:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...d.php?t=205913

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCIronman View Post
    If you're going to drive, the new highway is a little faster than Route 1, and much more scenic. In fact, you could probably shave off an hour driving time by taking it. Check out this thread:

http://news.insearchofchicas.org/for...d.php?t=205913
    I drove up to Sosua Saturday morning.

I left my house in Arroyo Hondo at 8 am sharp, and arrived at Passions at 10:30 on the dot. I didn't go over 110 kph the entire time.

I took the route through Moca and the Cumbre, which comes out between Cabarete and Gaspar Hernandez.

I've made that trip dozens of times, so don't expect to do it as quick as that.

The route up the new highway may be simpler, but it's a hell of a lot longer.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,394 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    I drove up to Sosua Saturday morning.

I left my house in Arroyo Hondo at 8 am sharp, and arrived at Passions at 10:30 on the dot. I didn't go over 110 kph the entire time.

I took the route through Moca and the Cumbre, which comes out between Cabarete and Gaspar Hernandez.

I've made that trip dozens of times, so don't expect to do it as quick as that.

The route up the new highway may be simpler, but it's a hell of a lot longer.
    But the difference is that you've been living and driving in the DR for years. Therefore, driving through Santo Domingo and Santiago is not an issue for you because you know both how to drive there, and where you're going.
    But for someone who's never done it, Route 1 to Route 5 is just not that simple. I did it for the first time in '06. Unfortunately, we started during rush hour. So we had to both try and read traffic signs, and watch for crazy drivers. Driving through Santiago was just as bad. After getting lost and stopping for directions numerous times in both cities, we arrived in Sosua. Took us about six hours. Granted, driving during rush hour contributed greatly to our troubles. But simple unfamiliarity with the route cost us a lot of time as well.
    This past October, we decided to try the new highway. It was ridiculously simple. Once we took the Samana exit, it was smooth sailing until we hit the north coast. We did it in exactly 3.5 hours. There was no looking for signs or the next exit. And we experienced absolutely zero traffic, even though it was around 4pm. In fact, we hardly saw any other cars period. The guy in my group who was driving has never driven cross country in the DR before. And he had no problems at all.

Unless I'm stopping in Santiago, I'll never take Route 1 again.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DCIronman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Its not the DRIVING or the Driving SKILLS per se,
    Sighteeing in a car with buddies is ONE thing, but sticking to a strict schedual as you are describing, is a completely diff animal. Its all a matter of perspective. Like even when you drive people to the airport, you are calm as can be, but they are all excited and on edge. Noone wants to miss a flight, esp going back HOME . Since you are the one doing all the driving(back and forth) , thats even more unnecessary stress IMO. I dont think you will enjoy your weekend in SOSUA as much, knowing you need to leave EARLY am to make your flight back in SD.
    This aint like driving in the US. You should rent a car and drive around yes, but the back and forth you described IMO is a little much for a non local.
    We do this same run, but with a Cop DRIVER who has lived there all his life, but there is still always excitement on the road, and you cant predict traffic or the weather. Santiago to Sosua is a LOT closer, thats doable, but not SD .Thats why we also changed it to fly in to SDQ, and out of STI. but since you are renting the car, I guess you dont have anyone to return it in SD.
    Also I hope your spanish is really good, since you are totally on your own.
    Or Maybe u can team up with someone else.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

It's doable going either route, the roads aren't particularly bad especially if you aren't going through the mountain. I would agree with Ironman, that the new highway will probably be easier for you being that you aren't familar with the roads, you catch it just west of the airport, once you are on it, no more problems.

Good luck
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thread Information