Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATM frauds in the DR

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

ATM frauds in the DR

Those who have been to the DR previously will have read all this before, but for the benefit of first-time visitors I am posting this link to a post on DR1. This is not an isolated post as similar happenings are frequently being reported, also wrong amounts dispensed or indeed nothing dispensed but still charged.

My advice is to use your international credit/debit cards to draw pesos INSIDE the bank at the teller counter. This also obviates the common problem of the ATM "eating" your card. You will require your passport to achieve this.

Obviously this requires sufficient forethought to draw cash during bank opening hours but I am sure that is not beyond the wit of our highly intelligent members.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/981...new-fraud.html

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Our Supporters Support our advertisers!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

Re: ATM frauds in the DR

Even though the ATM machine may not be theres it is inside or connected to their bank physcially. The ATM machine represents a service provided by the bank. If it is not secure they have a moral obligation to not have it there. Since they do no care about their customers safety I would simply not use that bank at all.

I have been told about going inside the bank for transactions and have done so on many occasions. I tend to use the ATMs of BanReservas and never had a problem yet. Banks which have a true international presence will be more friendly since they have true banking guidelines to follow. Banco Popular in the DR has no connection to the same named banks in the US so do not think they are the same company.

Of all the horror stories about banks the one I tend to hear the most about Banco Popular. With problems like this is it any wonder why Dominicans themselves are scared to put money into their banks?

Good information and a good warning for people not aware of this.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 45,724 Times in 5,924 Posts

Banco Popular in New York told me that they are the same Banco Popular that is in in DR. However, there is a Banco Popular in Colombia that is not connected and the NY Banco Popular atm cards do not work in their machines.
    "Panties are not the best thing in the world, but they are next to it"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to officemgr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

I have never used a card down there, always take my cash with me, and have always came home with a third of it still in my pocket .
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 164,725 Times in 30,459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo44 View Post
    I have never used a card down there, always take my cash with me, and have always came home with a third of it still in my pocket .
    i am a cash freak out of canada........cash is king and its ALWAYS in my pocket
    you only live once, but if you live it right once is enough

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whynotme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 394 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by officemgr View Post
    Banco Popular in New York told me that they are the same Banco Popular that is in in DR. However, there is a Banco Popular in Colombia that is not connected and the NY Banco Popular atm cards do not work in their machines.
    Officemanager, you might want to verify that info. because it's not same bank. BP has offices in PR, but not DR.

The Banco Popular from DR does have an office in NY, called BPD. http://www.bpdbank.com/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elvis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,041 Times in 394 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Those who have been to the DR previously will have read all this before, but for the benefit of first-time visitors I am posting this link to a post on DR1. This is not an isolated post as similar happenings are frequently being reported, also wrong amounts dispensed or indeed nothing dispensed but still charged.

My advice is to use your international credit/debit cards to draw pesos INSIDE the bank at the teller counter. This also obviates the common problem of the ATM "eating" your card. You will require your passport to achieve this.

Obviously this requires sufficient forethought to draw cash during bank opening hours but I am sure that is not beyond the wit of our highly intelligent members.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/981...new-fraud.html
    Btw, this poster from DR has a long history of drama and has scammed quite a few DR1 members.

But it's good advice, it's always good to be safe anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 45,724 Times in 5,924 Posts

Maybe it is not the same bank but BP New York runs the ATM machines. I was told at the branch and the 1 800 number on my card to call the 1800 number if there is any problems at the ATM machine. I never really asked about the about Branch, but when I called the 1 800 number from MDE they said that the bank is different and not on their atm network and directed me to Citibank, whatever that means.

1995: Popular established the ATH Dominicana ATM network in the Dominican Republic. (ATH stands alled for "A Toda Hora". i.e., "at all hours".)

1998: Popular made Chicago the headquarters for the US Executive Offices of its subsidiary, Popular North America, which took over all its US mainland commercial activities. In the Dominican Republic, Popular took a minority position in Banco Fiduciario, the fourth largest bank, a stake that it later built up to a majority position. Popular entered Costa Rica as it had entered the Dominican Republic, Popular entered Costa Rica in the same way as it had entered the Dominican Republic, i.e., by establishing an ATM network, ATH Costa Rica.

ATH Dominicana, ATH Costa Rica - Popular Inc.'s three electronic networks in the Caribbean and Central America. ATH Dominicana connects over 1,100 ATMs and over 17,000 POS terminals in the Dominican Republic. ATH Costa Rica is a network of over 300 ATMs from 22 financial institutions.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Btw, this poster from DR has a long history of drama and has scammed quite a few DR1 members.
    Thanks Elvis, I had not realised that, but on further investigation I find that the poster is not considered a reliable source of information.

OK, let's ignore the specific post I quoted but, as you say, be aware of the general problem (which is real enough) and play safe.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have used the Banco Popular ATM many times in Punta Cana and Higuey. Only one time I had an issue (story to follow). I believe with electricity irregularities in the DR from time to time you may have issues accessing the ATMs as I have.

Story:

On my last day in Higuey, headed to SDQ I had a chica come by the hotel. I had to get some money for the chica and my trip to SDQ. I went to use the ATM at the gas station (Banco Popular), it wasn’t working, but I tried and tried again, no dinero (I used this ATM several times before). So by this time the chica was at the hotel; I made her wait in the lobby and told her I would be right back. So I took a moto to another ATM, I tied and I tried again, then I forced it … The machine ate it! So moto to main Banco Popular to see what’s up. They say nothing they can do. So I call my bank have the card cancelled and a new one issued.

So I walk back to the hotel; the chica has been blowing up my phone. I explain the issue to her and decided to let her go on her way . So luckily I’m familiar with moneygram. So I call a family member and in about ½ hour I’m headed back to Banco Popular to pick up my dinero! Todo bien.

I went out that night and had a good time before heading to SDQ in the morning.

If you have issues have a backup plan!

Mejor!
    Last edited by borninusa; 11-28-2009 at 08:21 PM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to borninusa For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Carry duplicate ATM cards. If the machine eats one, go to another machine, and use the other one.
    If your bank has a website where you can check your balance, do so, after each withdrawal.
    I have dealt with Banco Popular Dominicano here since they first issued ATM cards. I take money out with my card on the average of 3-4 times a week, so does my ex-better half.
    Each of us has had our card eaten once. Shit happens, just be prepared with a back up plan, like bornintheusa says.
    Ladybird on DR1 is a flake. The elevator doesn't go to the top floor. She's a couple of cents short of a dollar. Not carrying all her groceries in one bag. etc, etc.
    Last edited by MrHappy; 11-27-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    If you think it's love try not paying in the morning..

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Another thing to watch for when dealing with ATM's in the DR is double billing. You may get home and read your statement saying that you made two 5000 peso withdrawals at the same time when you only made one. Contact your bank immediately, and it will be handled. It happened to me once, and i had no issues. I've heard of instances where the banks gave people a hard time. Be careful.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrHappy View Post
    Whirleybird on DR1 is a flake. The elevator doesn't go to the top floor. She's a couple of cents short of a dollar. Not carrying all her groceries in one bag, etc, etc.
    Whirleybird never posted in the thread cited. The OP was by Ladybird. Do you have a grudge against all birdlife on DR1?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,726 Times in 1,029 Posts

I use Scotiabank (Bank of Nova Scotia) down there and have never had a problem.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Count For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,720 Times in 3,243 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Count View Post
    I use Scotiabank (Bank of Nova Scotia) down there and have never had a problem.

I agree, I used it many times.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 84,361 Times in 13,901 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    Whirleybird never posted in the thread cited. The OP was by Ladybird. Do you have a grudge against all birdlife on DR1?

Whirleybird? Did I say Whirleybird??

I gotta get up pretty early in the morning to get one past you!!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHappy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    I have been told about going inside the bank for transactions and have done so on many occasions. I tend to use the ATMs of BanReservas and never had a problem yet. Banks which have a true international presence will be more friendly since they have true banking guidelines to follow. Banco Popular in the DR has no connection to the same named banks in the US so do not think they are the same company.

Of all the horror stories about banks the one I tend to hear the most about Banco Popular. With problems like this is it any wonder why Dominicans themselves are scared to put money into their banks?

Good information and a good warning for people not aware of this.
    A Domincan friend of mine who lives in DC area had warned me about Bano Popular and their ATMs last year. He said it was one of the largest banks in the DR and because it was privately held they got into some shady dealings. He also said that Banco BHD and Banco BDI had some problems in the past. He gave BanReservas a thumbs up, but warned me to only use ATMs that were attached directly to the bank.

During my trip to the DR earlier this month, me and several of guys I was with used used our VISA and/or MasterCard debit cards several times to withdraw pesos at a BanReservas ATM. We did not have any problems either. We made sure the ATM sported the CIRRUS, INTERLINK, and/or PLUS icons. We always used the same ATM each time and always made sure that we had at least one other person with us to watch our back.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dragonlorde For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 1,733 Posts

I have used ATM cards a LOT in the DR. I had 2 eaten and mistakenly left one in the ATM once. I used the ATM 4 times today and it is not unusual for me to use one 10-15 times per week.

I have expanded my back up plan a bit. Still use my main ATM card the most, but have a paypal debit card as backup, and a pre paid banco leon visa card also as back up.

Novia has 2 leon pre paid cards and a Popular debit card that can only be used for ATM withdrawls but not used like a visa or mc etc.

Besides the 2 eaten cards and my being a dope and forgetting one, I have never had an ATM problem but did have suspicious charges in Pricemart 2 times. A transactio was declined once, even though I used the same card at an ATM in Pricemart and successfully withdrew the cash so there was no prob with card. The declined charge then appeared on my debit card statement.

Another time, I was out of the country and saw a debit card purchase at Pricemart.

In Buenos Aires OTOH I have had my debit card cloned TWICE in 5 or 6 trips. Either my hotel had shady employees or the ATM in front of it was suspect. Last trip I switched hotels and did not use that ATM.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to prtyr2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by borninusa View Post
    I have used the Banco Popular ATM many times in Punta Cana and Higuey. Only one time I had an issue (story to follow). I believe with electricity irregularities in the DR from time to time you may having issues accessing the ATMs as I have.

Story:

On my last day in Higuey, headed to SDQ I had a chica come by the hotel. I had to get some money for the chica and my trip to SDQ. I went to use the ATM at the gas station (Banco Popular), it wasn’t working, but I tried and tried again, no dinero (I used this ATM several times before). So by this time the chica was at the hotel; I made her wait in the lobby and told her I would be right back. So I took a moto to another ATM, I tied and I tried again, then I forced it … The machine ate it! So moto to main Banco Popular to see what’s up. They say nothing they can do. So I call my bank have the card cancelled and a new one issued.

So I walk back to the hotel; the chica has been blowing up my phone. I explain the issue to her and decided to let her go on her way . So luckily I’m familiar with moneygram. So I call a family member and in about ½ hour I’m headed back to Banco Popular to pick up my dinero! Todo bien.

I went out that night and had a good time before heading to SDQ in the morning.

If you have issues have a backup plan!

Mejor!
    What about mongering in Higuey??

Thanks

If you’re in the area you can find a place to meet some chicas. Most of the chicas that work at brothels in Punta Cana live in Higuey. I meet this chica at a colmado. It was in the direction of La Roman but I can’t recall the name. I was in Higuey to see my novia, she just moved to moved to Hato Mayor. My novia was at work, so I had this chica come over but all for nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information