Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bringing Cash

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Re: Bringing Cash

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    The guy asked a question, I tried to steer him in the right direction.
    Any you want to change $ at 31 to 1 just to buy a beer , instead of 36 or 36.10 to 1 at a cambio on Pedro Clisante, then go ahead and do that. Yes .10 is trivial, it was just to make a point. I always bring pesos back, just to avoid the airport banks. So call me cheap.
    I think we can even go as far as to say that not taking advantage of legal opportunities is similar for example. If you stay in a 4 or 5 star resort or hotel don't you take the top of the line toiletries even if you don't use them and put them in your bag. I always ask every maid in the hall with a cart for more lotion, coffee ect they don't give a shit and I brought home 40 plus packs of Kona coffee last year from Hawaii from only a ten night stay. So call ME Cheap
    Just Doing It

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

I dont do that mike, I have no use for that stuff. that has nothing to do with the topic.

I just dont like BANKS skimming money from me on a simple exchange, its the same is paying a $2 atm fee, it just pisses me off and I wont give them my hard earned money that way if I dont have to. I despise bank fees of any kind. end of rant.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

I dont do that mike, I have no use for that stuff. that has nothing to do with the topic.

I just dont like BANKS skimming money from me on a simple exchange, its the same is paying a $2 atm fee, it just pisses me off and I wont give them my hard earned money that way if I dont have to. I despise bank fees of any kind. end of rant.
    Feel the same way about those banks, or restuarants etc. taking advantage don't like it, and that is the way they want you to think well it's only 10 cents, or it's just $2.00, it's no big deal. Well the banks have been doing it to us for years, and have been getting fat, because they do it to everone, and it does add up maybe not for you individually,but it adds up greatly for them, they are always taking and never giving anything back it sucks.

I would always prefer to deal with the fair dealing business man, than the one who consistently is trying to take advantage of me, no matter how small that advantage may be.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Is it better to get Pesos here (Canada) or just change it when I get to DR?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 686 Posts

i guess that would depend where your getting the best rate.. no??

Quote Originally Posted by samkne View Post
    Is it better to get Pesos here (Canada) or just change it when I get to DR?
    welcome to the fraternity, *morgan freeman voice*

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,920 Times in 2,853 Posts

. I always bring pesos back, just to avoid the airport banks. So call me cheap.
    I've got three thousand peso's burning a hole in my carry-on...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eldorob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 686 Posts

lol i was 3500 up in pesos on my last trip before i even got off the plane

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rushdog34 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eldorob View Post
    2,800 here, cant wait to spend em.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

2,800 here, cant wait to spend em.
    I have at least 7000 but that is only a couple hundred so if I get in after the cambios close I will have enough for the night. I don't want to be chasing around the first night and may just go with a TLN from Passions for 3500 that leaves me enough for dinner, a lot of drinks and a late night snack and tips without running out.

If I have 2000 left fine if it's just a few hundred better yet that means I had more fun.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 470 Posts

I changed $100 at the airport in POP once...I knew I was taking a hit though and I try to avoid changing at the airport when possible. I'll chalk that one up to temporary insanity.

Not sure if I mentioned this in my trip report but BofA charged me $5 for each balance inquiry with their card. First 3 were unsuccessful but the 4th finally worked. My primary bank charges $1. I called BofA and they took the charges off. This time around, I'll still bring U.S. cash like I have been, pay for the taxi 20 U.S., and get change at the cambio. Oh, and I'm getting a travel card so I can be less worried about the ATM eating my primary card like last time.
    I'm out for dead Presidentes to represent me...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chicmatic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,369 Times in 2,486 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chicmatic View Post
    I changed $100 at the airport in POP once...I knew I was taking a hit though and I try to avoid changing at the airport when possible. I'll chalk that one up to temporary insanity.

Not sure if I mentioned this in my trip report but BofA charged me $5 for each balance inquiry with their card. First 3 were unsuccessful but the 4th finally worked. My primary bank charges $1. I called BofA and they took the charges off. This time around, I'll still bring U.S. cash like I have been, pay for the taxi 20 U.S., and get change at the cambio. Oh, and I'm getting a travel card so I can be less worried about the ATM eating my primary card like last time.

If you really break it down, you lost like .25 on that exchange. I do not know about you. But .25 per 100 is nothing.

I mean if there are locations with better rates on the way, then by all means. But if you have no cash and the airport cambio is right there, is .25 per 100 really going to matter?

I will be bringing cash and will be changing when and where it is most convenient to me. the difference of .25 per 100 is really not a factor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 470 Posts

I remember why I did it. I didn't bring as much U.S. cash as I would have liked so instead of spending $20 on a taxi, I used my card at the airport currency place to withdraw some pesos. I agree, .25 per $100 wouldn't be worth mentioning but I believe their exchange rate was around 32 to 1. I don't have the receipt but remembered that I wouldn't be fucking with them anymore..similar to a lame chica.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthobbyist View Post
    If you really break it down, you lost like .25 on that exchange. I do not know about you. But .25 per 100 is nothing.

I mean if there are locations with better rates on the way, then by all means. But if you have no cash and the airport cambio is right there, is .25 per 100 really going to matter?

I will be bringing cash and will be changing when and where it is most convenient to me. the difference of .25 per 100 is really not a factor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information