Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Puerto Plata Tour Guide

Thanks

Re: Good Puerto Plata Tour Guide

After reading through this thread I gotta throw my hats off to you guys who travel solo. Especially the guys who don't speak Spanish

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sammytheman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sammytheman View Post
    After reading through this thread I gotta throw my hats off to you guys who travel solo. Especially the guys who don't speak Spanish
    the biggest problem we have for us guys that don't speak much Spanish is when you are driving a rental and you stop and ask for directions

Thanks
    Thanked 33,953 Times in 10,159 Posts

There are many guys who go solo, and their Spanish is horrible/non-existent. They have no complaints, and they go many times a year!

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,446 Times in 4,196 Posts

I actually know Mannie and have known him for several years. He is a tall guy who speaks English and last time I saw him he was working for Seacrets. Over the years he has always gone out of his way to be helpful to me is a nice enough guy.

Do I trust him 100%? definitely not.

When I see him over the years I have bought him a few beers while we were talking or wandering around. Once in particular during my first few trips I decided to walk around Los Charamicos and walked by his home during the day. He came outside and said hello to me as he typically does and asked what I was doing. When I said I was looking around in Los Charamicos as I wasnt that familiar with the place he said he and hour of free time and walked me around showing me some of the places while we had a few drinks and stopped for some lunch at a chicken place.

Definitely some useful information and as he lives there he knew a lot of people and introduced me to quite a few people.

One thing to keep in mind is this is in fact his job and he does deserve some type of payment if people use him for his services.

I have over my visits come to meet many of the tour guides who hang around Sosua and he is definitely a decent enough guy trying to earn a living with the skillset he has. He has never tried to scam me unlike a lot of the other tour guide guys looking to rip off anyone the first chance they get.

As states he does not have a car so this is an extra cost if you want to go outside of the area.

I have a guy I use for taking trips out of town as I do not like to drive or rent a car. I will ask him if I can give out his phone number. This guy speaks several languages including English and Spanish, is a local to Sosua who lives there, carries a gun , and has a vehicle. I met him several years ago on the beach where he still works when there is work. He actually currently works with Ari at stall #67 (one of the advertisers on this site). I pay him a standard $20 for an airport ride (they charge $25 now so I give this guy my business and save $5 on the ride).

We also will take night trips into Puerta Plata and other cities at about the same cost as a taxi for a short ride to Puerta Plata for an hour we can hang out with him all night if we choose to.

Typically we will pay for his gas, a drink or two and throw him 1500 pesos for a night out. Renting a car or taxi will cost about the same but without the commissions on things, including a guy to do translation if needed for anyone, and to keep an eye out for trouble and be able to deal with any problems before they happen if needed.For a group of 3 or 4 guys to do a night trip to POP visit some strip bars and local spots an extra $20-$30 on the bill to have a vehicle with a good driver, translator, and security all rolled into one makes it worthwhile in my opinion.
    Jimmy owes me a dollar!

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Beads For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A "tour" guide is definitely not needed but just someone that knows the environment especially for non-spanish speaking visitors.
    So people that want to visit Puerto Plata and not for shopping tour. But to look for chicas just PM me. I will go to all those places downtown and you will love it!
    Greets
    Last edited by The Exterminator; 01-21-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: an important word was missing

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Exterminator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Exterminator View Post
    A "tour" guide is definitely not needed but just someone that knows the environment especially for non-spanish speaking visitors.
    So people that want to visit Puerto Plata and not for shopping tour. But to look for chicas just PM me. I will go to all those places downtown and you will love it!
    Greets
    I assume this means that you live there, how long have you been in country Mr. Exterminator??
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

10 years Puerto Plata...

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Exterminator For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Exterminator View Post

10 years Puerto Plata...
    Always good to know another ex-pat monger that is willing to show a fellow around. I try and do the same if someone contacts me and tells me they will be in Santo Domingo, as does P2, Mr. Happy and the Dwolf.

I may take you up on your kind offer, I know a few spots in POP, from my time in Sosua, and plus Dominican Billy, and Weyland have also showed me around a bit. But I would love to find some of the places off the beaten path, that is truly what I like to see, I enjoy being in the place and being the one or one of the only gringos in site, all attention is on you, and I get a kick out of that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

By the way Mr. Exterminator, welcome to the site. I see that you don't have many posts, but with 10 yrs experience in Puerto Plata, maybe you can fill us in a little bit about that area, I know it will be welcome information.

Looking forward to seeing many more posts from you in the future.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    I would love to find some of the places off the beaten path, that is truly what I like to see, I enjoy being in the place and being the one or one of the only gringos on site, all attention is on you, and I get a kick out of that.
    ... and I would love to join this outing, too.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    Weyland ... also showed me around a bit.
    I would have shown you a bit more but I couldn't get your ass out of El Consulador. Funny about that place. Thunderstar and I love it, you and Trib liked it, Shredder walked out in disgust after a while and FloridaSur never got pass the entrance once he felt his ears start bleeding. Dominican Billy goes there quite a bit but will only sit outside.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weyland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,418 Times in 1,349 Posts

Bloody miss it Weyland. So so desperate for a holiday!
    ( Good news on the leg - Im starting to walk again - like an 80 year old granny - but walking is walking! )!

We will see you soon!

Dan & Jen
    PS - I hope your looking for "the gap" for me!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thunderstar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beads View Post
    I actually know Mannie and have known him for several years. He is a tall guy who speaks English and last time I saw him he was working for Seacrets. Over the years he has always gone out of his way to be helpful to me is a nice enough guy.

Do I trust him 100%? definitely not.
    This may not be the same Mannie that I was referring to. The Mannie I met was maybe at best 5'7" or so, I know this because I am 5'8" and he was shorter than me. I only hung out with Mannie one day but he came across as a straight up guy. Plus the Mannie I met actually worked for the city of Puerto Plata as a tour guide so he didn't want or ask me to give him any money.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to afroski For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 261,324 Times in 78,270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sammytheman View Post

I agree with this one.

You want access to trip reports?

Google Wallet

JDRent97@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information