Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 01/2010 - Hotel Reviews: Sea Breeze and Don Antonio

Thanks

Re: Hotel Reviews: Sea Breeze and Don Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by naptime View Post
    what is security like at DonAntonio?

are there safes, and if so, are the digital or keyed?
    Security was fine. As someone mentioned the safes are digital.

Grounds security is handled by an 82-year-old. I don't know if he is packing :-) He does have a chain and a lock that he uses on the gate late at night and that is good enough for me.

I couldn't get the wifi in my room but there is a chair and table outside of all the rooms so it is pleasant to access the internet from near your room. There are also comfy couches (and a power outlet) just a few feet from the router which is near the bar.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Summit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 29,118 Times in 3,985 Posts

thanks everyone, i appreciate the info.
    www.thatsafunnyshirt.com www.toledotees.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to naptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,105 Times in 4,296 Posts

thanks everyone, i appreciate the info.
    and it never gets old . . I been going to the DR for about 6 years and I just mined A TON OF INFO (newly updated) from ISOC . . .

I LOVE THIS SITE ! ! !
    Who me ? ? ?
    nahhhh . . . move along, move along . . .

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the_Jayman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpf View Post

Grounds security is handled by an 82-year-old. I don't know if he is packing :-) He does have a chain and a lock that he uses on the gate late at night and that is good enough for me.

I couldn't get the wifi in my room but there is a chair and table outside of all the rooms so it is pleasant to access the internet from near your room. There are also comfy couches (and a power outlet) just a few feet from the router which is near the bar.
    The OG is packing and also has a 6" sword or something he keeps plus there is other security that is not clear to the naked eye but he is there if you know what to look for. I stayed for a week and felt safe as a bird the place is a low key spot the price is right and room service was good money for me.
    I'm back... Heading Back To Green #TurnUpTime

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,743 Times in 643 Posts

That old man wanted to bust me up good one night, I always stay on the 3rd floor where they have the king sized beds and get a good breeze. One day I got REALLY drunk (well... one of the many days) and I also got my "date" pretty drunk. She was a real trooper and liked to f*^) in public so I kept turning the balcony light out to not make such an obtrusive show.

That old man climbed all 3 flights, and came around the corner with some sort of club/weapon and didn't look 80 any more. He had some choice spanish words for me too, but I talked him down with 200 pesos. I'm a pretty big, and a lot of people say intimidating, person but that old bastard wasn't having any of it.

He also doesn't allow bullshit with the chicas, don't need the cops, he handles them well.

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Roy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Yeah old dude is cool as shit, he knows me now and once he has seen you a few times he don't really mess too much with you.

Like anyone in Sosua, he appreciates a propina every now and then
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As far as Sea Breeze got real pissed off this last trip with Jihad, the one night stay on New Year's Eve, that trip was a total waste, but I went up to Sosua to take care of a little business, and see what I could see for myself regarding the Apos adventure. If I had to do it again, as far as that particular trip I wouldn't from now on when ever I go to Sosua, pleasure will be numeral uno or I won't be going.

As far as what happened at Sea Breeze I called like I said in another post and reserved a room at the Sea Breeze for New Year's Eve. So I was already a little pissed when I pulled into Sosua, because a lot of shit happened that morning and I got started late, so as soon as I got there I had to meet a friend to talk business, that went on for a while so I didn't get an afternoon delight like I had wanted to, and what I pulled out of Classicos was another total waste. But anyway when I pulled in went straight to Sea Breeze, to check in, got there told the dude at the desk my name so he asked me how long I was staying I told him one night, he tells me he doesn't have my reservation, now I look at the dude, and thinking what the hell is going on here So I tell him check with Jihad.

So he walks back towards the pool area where Jihad's room is located up on the third floor. Now like I say I am getting a little peeved so I decide to walk back and I see Jihad on his balcony, in a towel I guess he was entertaining or something Anyway he proceeds to ask me, who I made the reservation with, I told him I thought it was him, because whoever I spoke to when I gave him my name he said he remembered me, which would be right because I stayed there a couple of months ago and Jihad took care of all the arrangements.

So now he starts telling me that it is not his hotel's policy to do one night stays, it has to be multiple nights. Well I tell him he should have said that to me at the time I made my reservation and I would have reserved elsewhere because I knew I would only be there one night. To make a long story short, now I was real pissed and I proceed to cussing him out in front of everybody. Guess I can't plan on staying there anymore By the way I knew he was bullshitting me, because when I stayed there a couple of months previously, that was for a one night stay as well and there wasn't a problem. By the way Givengo who met me at the Sea Breeze on the day I was returning to Santo Domingo, can verify everything I am saying about the last trip being a one night stand as well. What I think happened is that he forgot who he was dealing with and figured he could tell that bold face lie, and someone would believe him, and he would have been right probably except he was telling the lie to the same guy that had stayed for just one night his last reach

So I stormed out of there figuring now it's New Year's Eve and I am in Sosua without a place to stay thanks to Jihad. I said the only thing I can do now is start hoofing and hopefully some place will have a vacancy. But I got lucky and went to D. Antonio first and spoke to Obie and he had one vacancy left one of his bigger rooms on the same side as the bar and on the first floor $50, more than I ever paid there but I didn't care at that point. The room was very big and I believe it was a room designed for a family with small children based on it's setup.

Tell you the truth not mad at Jihad, I guess he realized it would be better and he could make more money with a dude using his joint for multiple nights. But that still was a foul move, if he had told me that up front when I called I wouldn't have had a problem, and then also if he didn't lie to me, which only made it worse about the one night stay.

Just reporting the truth, still think it is a nice place to stay and a good option, but I guess I have burned my bridges as far as staying there, but what can you expect when you cuss out the owner in front of his staff and guests.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 51,713 Times in 9,684 Posts

Wow, incredible. If the document holders were not enough, now this. Bold faced Lies about a valid reservation. and people still defend this place ?

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JD426 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 292 Posts

what is security like at DonAntonio?

are there safes, and if so, are the digital or keyed?

i'm trying to read up on hotels as much as possible.

trying to find something close to latino/classico. with digital safes. and a fridge, and cheap.

we dont care much for new garden, and other places im seeing are either higher priced, or dont offer safes.. particularly digital.

we are already booked at rockys (stayed at the tradewinds condo last trip, but it was a bit far) i dont mind the rooms at rockys, but 11 days, and no fridge is a pain. but the price is great and they have digi-safes.

trying to find something equivilent.

but cant find info on safes for D.A.
    I haven't stayed at Rockies for over a year, but I got ATE UP by mosquitos. Last time I heard anyone talk about it, the screens were still not all fixed. Maybe someone can chime in and correct me, but I recommend sleeping with Insect Repellant.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nnjdave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    As far as Sea Breeze got real pissed off this last trip with Jihad, the one night stay on New Year's Eve, that trip was a total waste, but I went up to Sosua to take care of a little business, and see what I could see for myself regarding the Apos adventure. If I had to do it again, as far as that particular trip I wouldn't from now on when ever I go to Sosua, pleasure will be numeral uno or I won't be going.

As far as what happened at Sea Breeze I called like I said in another post and reserved a room at the Sea Breeze for New Year's Eve. So I was already a little pissed when I pulled into Sosua, because a lot of shit happened that morning and I got started late, so as soon as I got there I had to meet a friend to talk business, that went on for a while so I didn't get an afternoon delight like I had wanted to, and what I pulled out of Classicos was another total waste. But anyway when I pulled in went straight to Sea Breeze, to check in, got there told the dude at the desk my name so he asked me how long I was staying I told him one night, he tells me he doesn't have my reservation, now I look at the dude, and thinking what the hell is going on here So I tell him check with Jihad.

So he walks back towards the pool area where Jihad's room is located up on the third floor. Now like I say I am getting a little peeved so I decide to walk back and I see Jihad on his balcony, in a towel I guess he was entertaining or something Anyway he proceeds to ask me, who I made the reservation with, I told him I thought it was him, because whoever I spoke to when I gave him my name he said he remembered me, which would be right because I stayed there a couple of months ago and Jihad took care of all the arrangements.

So now he starts telling me that it is not his hotel's policy to do one night stays, it has to be multiple nights. Well I tell him he should have said that to me at the time I made my reservation and I would have reserved elsewhere because I knew I would only be there one night. To make a long story short, now I was real pissed and I proceed to cussing him out in front of everybody. Guess I can't plan on staying there anymore By the way I knew he was bullshitting me, because when I stayed there a couple of months previously, that was for a one night stay as well and there wasn't a problem. By the way Givengo who met me at the Sea Breeze on the day I was returning to Santo Domingo, can verify everything I am saying about the last trip being a one night stand as well. What I think happened is that he forgot who he was dealing with and figured he could tell that bold face lie, and someone would believe him, and he would have been right probably except he was telling the lie to the same guy that had stayed for just one night his last reach

So I stormed out of there figuring now it's New Year's Eve and I am in Sosua without a place to stay thanks to Jihad. I said the only thing I can do now is start hoofing and hopefully some place will have a vacancy. But I got lucky and went to D. Antonio first and spoke to Obie and he had one vacancy left one of his bigger rooms on the same side as the bar and on the first floor $50, more than I ever paid there but I didn't care at that point. The room was very big and I believe it was a room designed for a family with small children based on it's setup.

Tell you the truth not mad at Jihad, I guess he realized it would be better and he could make more money with a dude using his joint for multiple nights. But that still was a foul move, if he had told me that up front when I called I wouldn't have had a problem, and then also if he didn't lie to me, which only made it worse about the one night stay.

Just reporting the truth, still think it is a nice place to stay and a good option, but I guess I have burned my bridges as far as staying there, but what can you expect when you cuss out the owner in front of his staff and guests.
    I can confirm the story he did stay there for one night b/c I actually had the last room in Don. A's (sorry Yayow) and he walked over to the Seabreeze. During my last trip Jihad did some funniness over the rental of the motorcycle but $5 dollars here or there isn't a killa but I was quoted one price and given another as well as trying to put me into a fucked up room there. Like jd426 says no matter what guys defend this place point blank if its fucked up we need to say so I've seen half a dozen of his rooms and really wasnt impressed so besides mongers atmosphere what else is there? It'spopping b/c we make it pop with our talks about it. Anyway it's your money not mines. Cats can say D.A's is low budgeted, etc, but honestly I like the quiteness privacy and general local of the place and the staff from the guys doing construction to the manager (Obie), and room service anything I wanted they got for me (even the owners a german man and woman) whom I had coffee with everyday there. The bar is chica friendly and so is the pool there is also a grill that can be used for a party at any time. The Villas are nice and so is D.A's, I hope to check out the condos or apartments as well and see what I experience. but once agaiin DA for price and now reconstructed rooms is a good deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    That old man wanted to bust me up good one night, I always stay on the 3rd floor where they have the king sized beds and get a good breeze. One day I got REALLY drunk (well... one of the many days) and I also got my "date" pretty drunk. She was a real trooper and liked to f*^) in public so I kept turning the balcony light out to not make such an obtrusive show.

That old man climbed all 3 flights, and came around the corner with some sort of club/weapon and didn't look 80 any more. He had some choice spanish words for me too, but I talked him down with 200 pesos. I'm a pretty big, and a lot of people say intimidating, person but that old bastard wasn't having any of it.

He also doesn't allow bullshit with the chicas, don't need the cops, he handles them well.
    Roy thats where I stayed the 3rd floor as well on the end but me and the old man had a good relationship I knocked two down on the balcony lol. I brought the OG some food one night and gave something short the night before I left. We even sat and talked a while lol. I tell you what I am a simple dude love the finer things but can get by with just that a good staff the place has a nice vibe about it in my opinion it will become a better place to stay.
    Last edited by givengo440; 01-10-2010 at 08:34 AM.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to givengo440 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 414 Posts

if i had to guess yayow, your reservation was taken and was a good reservation. what probably happened, somebody came in, wanted a room and wanted a multi night reservation and it covered the night you wanted a room. the bucks bumped your reservation.

they would have used you for filler material, but do to just one night, you lost your space to bigger dollars. jmho

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ralphie1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ralphie1 View Post
    if i had to guess yayow, your reservation was taken and was a good reservation. what probably happened, somebody came in, wanted a room and wanted a multi night reservation and it covered the night you wanted a room. the bucks bumped your reservation.

they would have used you for filler material, but do to just one night, you lost your space to bigger dollars. jmho
    I agree with you Ralphie that is probably what happened, but in my book you don't bump a customer/client that took the time to reserve two days before his reach for bigger bucks (to me that is bad form and bad karma, after all your word should be your bond).

Plus now I am totally inconvenienced and have to scramble to find a place to stay (I got lucky only had to check out one other place, but that is besides the point, holiday night could have been a lot worse), when that was the last thing I thought I would have to do. Plus no apology was issued, instead tells me a lie about his policy, and asks me who it was that I spoke to as if I made the whole reservation thing up. Definitely bad form in my book.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 414 Posts

I agree with you Ralphie that is probably what happened, but in my book you don't bump a customer/client that took the time to reserve two days before his reach for bigger bucks (to me that is bad form and bad karma, after all your word should be your bond).

Plus now I am totally inconvenienced and have to scramble to find a place to stay (I got lucky only had to check out one other place, but that is besides the point, holiday night could have been a lot worse), when that was the last thing I thought I would have to do. Plus no apology was issued, instead tells me a lie about his policy, and asks me who it was that I spoke to as if I made the whole reservation thing up. Definitely bad form in my book.
    totally agree with you there too, all the way. shows that the dollar is more important than his word or his bond. also goes to show others will have to measure every word he says now

the karma thing, that starts to bite the minute it happened. how many people have read the last few posts??

sadly, what we would all consider the way to do good business isnt necessarily the norm in the DR. most are like the hooker, out for the hear and now, with no thought of tomorrow

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ralphie1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Cool Re: Hotel Reviews: Sea Breeze and Don Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Wow, incredible. If the document holders were not enough, now this. Bold faced Lies about a valid reservation. and people still defend this place ?
    I stayed at Sea Breeze one time, first building on the 3rd floor. Noise was impossible. Then there was the water leaking all over the bathroom floor, I stayed a few months more than a year ago, and a buddy just told me that it STILL LEAKS. That really wasn't the reason I didn't go back though.

I found Jihad a nice enough guy, but he does lie, alot. He likes to talk, and tell stories, and talk about other mongers. And believe me, he talks about all of us. He also gets involved in the chicas lives that come to the hotel with the guys. Some of it is good, he does look out for his guests, no doubt, but I really don't like having my coming and going charted on a notepad with the names of my chicas (which occurred then, not sure if they still do), or being fussed at because I'm still in bed at 1PM. If I stay out all night, and want to sleep in IT'S MY VACATION.

Then, I had a run in with the "Sea Breeze Gang" at Classico. No problem here if you have the "VIP" or a reserved booth, but don't just barge in and disrespect others, and their chicas. This happened to a couple of us, and believe me, in the south we say "it caused a ruckus".

I suppose from a "lodging" standpoint, SeaBreeze is a really good place to stay, but from a "services" standpoint, there is some drama that comes with it, being that Jihad is out there in the middle of the mongering game with all of us as well.

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Roy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 355 Posts

I hope he packs his Caffeine pills next time I stay there. On 2 separate occasions I've had to wait over 10 minutes for him to open the gate. One time I had to scale the gate and help my "date" hop the fence. Then I went to wake/ yell at the old man; instead of an apology he starts cursing the chick out like she made it happen.

All in all he is a cool guy, and Don ANtonio's a good enough option. However, it could be made better if he stayed alert during his shift, or handed his duties off to the haitian security guard (very cool).

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Juggles For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juggle View Post
    I hope he packs his Caffeine pills next time I stay there. On 2 separate occasions I've had to wait over 10 minutes for him to open the gate. One time I had to scale the gate and help my "date" hop the fence. Then I went to wake/ yell at the old man; instead of an apology he starts cursing the chick out like she made it happen.

All in all he is a cool guy, and Don ANtonio's a good enough option. However, it could be made better if he stayed alert during his shift, or handed his duties off to the haitian security guard (very cool).
    a

Yea, seems like he either likes your chicas or doesn't. I had one that I'd been bringing in regularly from Jan. - July, and another I was seeing sporatically until June. When he got to know the new one and saw her more regularly, he started cursing my "old regular", and was all smiles with my "new regular".

He's cool though, and if you hand him 100 pesos every once in a while, he will love you to death... but just don't turn his damned lights off.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

With the old dude sometimes it's not even about the chica it's how he gets along with the monger, if he likes you, normally what you do is cool, it he doesn't feel you or doesn't know you (if you haven't taken the time to acknowledged him and say hi) he isn't as cool.

But I think that is normal with human beings.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

With the old dude sometimes it's not even about the chica it's how he gets along with the monger, if he likes you, normally what you do is cool, it he doesn't feel you or doesn't know you (if you haven't taken the time to acknowledged him and say hi) he isn't as cool. But I think that is normal with human beings.
    he and I are cool, just been there so much and tip him but he had good reason to bitch that girl out. It helped me because I got to tell her she wasn't welcome there anymore LOL

I like the old bastard, he enjoys seeing all the craziness going on, but he does get a little annoyed when I do my "train" and walk 4 or 5 up the hill one by one for an hour each. He has to repeatedly open and close the gate, and he still hasn't learned to put his damned chair next to it when I'm on a roll.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,497 Times in 634 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nnjdave View Post
    I haven't stayed at Rockies for over a year, but I got ATE UP by mosquitos. Last time I heard anyone talk about it, the screens were still not all fixed. Maybe someone can chime in and correct me, but I recommend sleeping with Insect Repellant.

Just one of the many things I have been fixing since I took over last year. There have been many improvements to Rocky's with more to come and the price is still the same.

I will listen to any and all complaints and do my very best to make sure you leave Rocky's happy.

Hope to see you all soon,

Rick

38. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Dafishguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 520 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dafishguy View Post
    Just one of the many things I have been fixing since I took over last year. There have been many improvements to Rocky's with more to come and the price is still the same.

I will listen to any and all complaints and do my very best to make sure you leave Rocky's happy.

Hope to see you all soon,

Rick
    Thanks Rick!! It is that kind of business attitude that keeps a lot of us coming back!

I am glad you guys got the safes now, that was a concern of mine when I stayed back in 2008. Any plans on getting small fridges in the rooms (not the condos obviously)?

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3somefan For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information