Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 01/2010 - Hotel Reviews: Sea Breeze and Don Antonio

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Re: Hotel Reviews: Sea Breeze and Don Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by Festy View Post
    I stayed at Don Antonio's from March 1-10. It was my 2nd stay at that property.

PROS: My bill was $290 tax included. No A/C but had the kitchenette (DR chica went to supermarket and stocked the fridge and cooked my breakfast each morning). The location is PERFECT for me, around the corner from Lou's and the other bars and a short walk to the beach. Most of the rooms were taken up with American College Students on some sort of program. Evelin the owner picked me up at the airport and everything went smooth.

CONS: The rooms are a little worn, the showers in the rooms with the kitchenettes are small, water pressure is so-so as is the hot water. Dr. Rosen and that section of Pedro Clisante is noisy most of the time.

Overall: I consider Don Antonio an EXCELLENT value for the price and definitely the hotel I will use on my next trip to Sosua.
    So 1st thru 10th which is 9 nights at $290 that is just over $32 a day with tax included but NO AC or Breakfast included and poor water pressure and limited hot water and rooms a bit worn--Hmmm ok not a bad price. How were the safes???

Just for comparison sake look at http://www.hotelpierososua.com/english.html

Now keep in mind that the $50 listed for apartments is $45 for ISOC members just tell him Mike that stays in A1 (the resort guy) says so.

Now that is $45 including a full breakfast with eggs, toast and 2 meats or dominican if you prefer or fruit plate whatever with beverage. Keep in mind that included Cold AC a must for me and a pool and Jacuzzi with dining availabe and gym area and grill to use.

Now best part if you are a regular visitor that goes several times in a few months for a week or better each time like I did then the rate may go down. It may depend on how much you spend there and definetely the time of year since it is Italian owned and a big place for them in the summer. You will actually get cheaper rates in fall than in summer which makes no sense to me because you couldn't pay me to go sweat there in the summer.

But he says Euros vacation then and he is busy. Perhaps on 2nd or 3rd trip he will lower you to $42 a night like he did me when I was staying 10-12 days at a time. For 10 bucks for AC, Breakfast, and a roomy apartment with full sized living room and satellite TV I know where I would go.

Just for a option since this is a very old thread revived and I don't think a small Thread Jack Off would apply to much. OH YES they have REAL SAFES.
    Just Doing It

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

Thumbs Up Re: Hotel Reviews: Sea Breeze and Don Antonio

I visited Mike a few times when we were preparing for the BBQ and it really is a great place. The staff were friendly and you could see that they had recently made improvements and expanded the outdoor/patio area. For those of us that like the east end of town with Passions, Cuba Libre, Andy's,Coyote Bar and other assorted restaurants and attractions it'd be a great base of operations!
    When you can think of yesterday without regret and tomorrow without fear, you are near contentment.
    Your opinions are not my problem...

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,816 Times in 253 Posts

The SAFES were the standard keypad style, bolted to the wall inside the closet (pretty similar to most SAFES I have seen in other hotels, nothing special and NOT big enough for a laptop).

I prefer to walk everywhere I go while in Sosua AND I prefer the area near Dr. Rosen over the area near La Pasions...just a personal preference as I understand others prefer to be near other areas of Sosua (for different reasons, each to their own). The reason I had no A/C was because it was March and the weather was comfortable and the ceiling fan was adequate for my needs. My room had an A/C unit if I chose to use it and it was an additional $5/day (and not needed).

When our flight landed in POP in March the pilot announced: "Welcome to Puerto Plata, local time 3:24pm". I don't check luggage so am a WALK-THROUGH at customs. Evelin from D.A. was waiting and I was the first out of the airport. Got to Don Antonio's, checked in, swapped jeans and shoes for shorts and flipflops...walked around the corner to Lou's Shark Bar and when I took my first gulp of Presidente the clock showed 3:50pm....26 minutes from the RUNWAY TOUCHDOWN to BEER AT LOU'S...smooth and easy. Very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    So 1st thru 10th which is 9 nights at $290 that is just over $32 a day with tax included but NO AC or Breakfast included and poor water pressure and limited hot water and rooms a bit worn--Hmmm ok not a bad price. How were the safes???

Now keep in mind that the $50 listed for apartments is $45 for ISOC members just tell him Mike that stays in A1 (the resort guy) says so.

Now that is $45 including a full breakfast with eggs, toast and 2 meats or dominican if you prefer or fruit plate whatever with beverage. Keep in mind that included Cold AC a must for me and a pool and Jacuzzi with dining availabe and gym area and grill to use.

Now best part if you are a regular visitor that goes several times in a few months for a week or better each time like I did then the rate may go down. It may depend on how much you spend there and definitely the time of year since it is Italian owned and a big place for them in the summer. You will actually get cheaper rates in fall than in summer which makes no sense to me because you couldn't pay me to go sweat there in the summer.

But he says Euros vacation then and he is busy. Perhaps on 2nd or 3rd trip he will lower you to $42 a night like he did me when I was staying 10-12 days at a time. For 10 bucks for AC, Breakfast, and a roomy apartment with full sized living room and satellite TV I know where I would go.

Just for a option since this is a very old thread revived and I don't think a small Thread Jack Off would apply to much. OH YES they have REAL SAFES.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Was checking my previous reservation email from Don Antonio's and made an error in my dates posted previously. I was there March 1st to 11th, not the 10th but the price including tax was $290. I am thinking about going in June for a week or two.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Festy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Have been here at Don Antonio's for a week so far. $35/day, unit with a kitchen. For the price/value I love this place. I like the fact that we have many good choices in Sosua for everyone's budget. From the simple accommodations of Rocky's ($25/night) to the 'higher-end' properties...there seems to be something for everyone. If you have never been to Don Antonio's just stop by and talk to the manager, Obe. He will be happy to show you the place. ATM across the street, less than a minute walk to the ACTION. a couple grocery stores with in a couple minute walk too.

Thanks
    Thanked 35,868 Times in 4,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Festy View Post
    Have been here at Don Antonio's for a week so far. $35/day, unit with a kitchen. For the price/value I love this place. I like the fact that we have many good choices in Sosua for everyone's budget. From the simple accommodations of Rocky's ($25/night) to the 'higher-end' properties...there seems to be something for everyone. If you have never been to Don Antonio's just stop by and talk to the manager, Obe. He will be happy to show you the place. ATM across the street, less than a minute walk to the ACTION. a couple grocery stores with in a couple minute walk too.
    Thanks for the update.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've decided that I'm staying at Don Antonio for first time next month.

Seems like the only $35 per night w/kitchen next to the action. It only took one trip for me to get used to having chicas cooking for me so I need a kitchen now.

I've met a few mongers before that always stay there and they allowed us to throw a pool party there with five of us and 12 chicas with our own liquor and food. They didn't push us to take it inside until a few were topless for awhile.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

March 2012 Review.

I stayed at Don Antonio this last trip for the first time. It's a quick sprint (heavy rain) to Rumba and other spots.

The water pressure in the shower as someone mentioned in another thread is perhaps the best I've experienced in the DR. The sink didn't seem to have a hot water option, but the shower stayed hot long enough and I can shave in the shower so it worked for me.

The hotel itself is very tranquil and laid back. Obe the manager is really cool and glad to assist with any matters when asked.

The two security guys at night were quick to open the gate for me when I returned from being out. One is 84 years old. I know this because I mentioned to the bartender that the guy seems kind of old to be security and she told me he's 84. I don't remember her name, but she's hot--married to a German.

There's a cafe to the left by the highway when you walk out that's great for late night food IMO.

My only issue was it was more difficult to sleep in like I like some morning because of road noise--the highway. I learned before my last day that by closing the bathroom door some noise was eliminated. This is not a huge deal for me because to me there is always some noise no matter where I stay in the mornings. At night I can fuck and fall asleep right by the disco with no problems so like I say it's not a huge deal.

Don Antonio is a good place to stay for the price if you want to be near the action and have a kitchen. Two things I'm not used to in Sosua. I would have no problem stay there again. I prefer Sosua Suites to everything else, but for a few days Don Antonio is good.

I did a walk-through of Sea Breeze. It's location is close, but far enough away that it's a little more peaceful than say New Garden and the prices for the rooms seem fair. The room that I looked at had a new flat screen tv, which I don't watch much tv in DR, but haven't stayed in a room with a flat screen yet so that kind of has my attention. I don't know if I'll every stay there, but think I definitely stay there.

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Has anyone stayed at the Seabreeze lately? I hear they are under new management and the rooms have been remodeled some. The price is still good at 40 bucks a night. I stayed there August 2011 and enjoyed my stay but would like to know if any additional changes have occurred since then.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pepp-1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was just there this past may for a two day trip. I didn't see anything different, the staff all seem to be the same people and I am a regular there, usually two to three trips a year. Its my go too spot for my trips. The rooms are still the same, some updates with the furniture is all I saw that was different. I think its a great spot to stay at, not far from all the action, but at the same time you don't have to deal with all the noise and distractions of the other places in the area.

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ter319 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Im a newbe here but I stayed 7 days at the SeaBreez and had to move twice because of leaks in the bathrooms and the tops of the tiles were flaking off and sticking to the bottom of my feet. Also there was only one lock and no safety chain. Staff were very nice and 40bucks a night with the 7th free. I still moved to Rocky's huge apartments for 50 bucks and have a kitchen. 3 types of locks on the door and close to Rumbas. I'm a happy camper and can't wait for my next visit.

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to H-D For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Now best part if you are a regular visitor that goes several times in a few months for a week or better each time like I did then the rate may go down. It may depend on how much you spend there and definetely the time of year since it is Italian owned and a big place for them in the summer. You will actually get cheaper rates in fall than in summer which makes no sense to me because you couldn't pay me to go sweat there in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Siochana View Post
    I visited Mike a few times when we were preparing for the BBQ and it really is a great place. The staff were friendly and you could see that they had recently made improvements and expanded the outdoor/patio area. For those of us that like the east end of town with Passions, Cuba Libre, Andy's,Coyote Bar and other assorted restaurants and attractions it'd be a great base of operations!
    Always a great option from the congested inner downtown streets

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There's a very good chance I'll be in Sosua in August. I plan to stay at D'Piero again. Do the ISOC rates still apply?

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robocock For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,106 Times in 4,436 Posts

I wouldn't stay at D'Piero's if it was free, not if I was being paid to stay there. I'd take a bullet first!
    Want to do a poll to see who else agrees?

(Not that there's anything wrong with the place...)

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Apos For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robocock View Post
    There's a very good chance I'll be in Sosua in August. I plan to stay at D'Piero again. Do the ISOC rates still apply?
    Yes and you can talk to the owner who gives many discounts for longer stays ect. Talk to him he is great and you can check with the city or any local realtor or person in the know in town and his reputation is impeccable.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikelodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yes and you can talk to the owner who gives many discounts for longer stays ect. Talk to him he is great and you can check with the city or any local realtor or person in the know in town and his reputation is impeccable.
    Thanks. I've stayed there before. No need to oversell it.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robocock For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I will be there at the end of august. I hope i will like it and have a lot of chicas.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steviwonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm thinking of staying at sea breeze for the first time in october, how far is it to d'latins compared to distance from new garden to d'latins?
    surprised to hear some of you complained of noise while there, it must be close to pedro clisante then?
    Are the safes secure? and what's this about not being able to lock the room from the inside?

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4u For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4u View Post
    I'm thinking of staying at sea breeze for the first time in october, how far is it to d'latins compared to distance from new garden to d'latins?
    surprised to hear some of you complained of noise while there, it must be close to pedro clisante then?
    Are the safes secure? and what's this about not being able to lock the room from the inside?
    It's about half a block further from the strip. No real difference at all.
    Me gusta mujeres mas oscuro que yo.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to el toro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,418 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hey 4u - I'm glad you are finding your way around the board and looking at old threads.
    Have you subscribed yet - it will help you out.

Hotels near the action - it depends on what you are looking for and your experience with third world county hotels.

but you won't go wrong with New Garden hotel - decent rooms, fair price, location spot on for a first time. If you are happy to walk another 2 mins away from the action hotel casa cayena is another good option.

From memory $62 a night for room breakfast and dinner - but we like to get out and try lots of different restaurants as part of our holiday.

What experience do you have of this sort of game?

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thunderstar For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information