Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Canadian Murdered in Sosua

Thanks
    Thanked 29,784 Times in 2,952 Posts

Re: Canadian Murdered in Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    This is where he made his mistake.
    Too true, but since living here I have often pondered what I would do in the same in the same situation, especially when I have had a few drinks in me and my bravery level is notched up a gear or two.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WickedWillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Re: Canadian Murdered in Sosua

Quote Originally Posted by swiggy View Post
    The story is still changing every day but it seems they arrested a second guy on Monday if they didnt already say this. there is a link to the story with a pic of the Villa at the bottom.

This was posted Monday on CBC News:

A Quebec City man killed while on vacation in the Dominican Republic was the victim of a robbery plot involving a security guard, local police said Monday.

Jean Gagné, 41, was vacationing with a friend in a private villa in the town of Sosua, east of Puerto Plata, when he was shot on New Year’s Eve.

Gagné’s friend, Alexandre Tremblay, told the French-language television network TVA that they were attacked in the middle of the night by two men.

Tremblay said he was bound, tied to his bed and robbed. Then, he said, he heard gunshots in the next room.

Gagné had been shot in the heart, while a private security guard was shot in the leg.

A Dominican television news report shows blood smeared and spattered on the floor of the villa.

The security guard was arrested, as well as two Haitian women who were with Gagné and Tremblay, said Col. Nelson Eddy Araujo of Dominican National Police.

The guard was involved in a plot to rob the pair and was promised a share of the take if he let the robbers in, Araujo said.

Araujo denied local media reports that the security guard shot Gagné before shooting himself in the leg to cover his tracks. He said another man pulled the trigger and police are still trying to track him down.

Araujo would not confirm reports the two women were prostitutes.

One witness said one of the women left the door to the villa open.

Canada's Foreign Affairs Department said consular officials on the island country are gathering details from local authorities.

The Foreign Affairs website warns travellers that the crime rate has increased in the Dominican Republic and that precautions should be taken. The U.S. State Department also warns the Caribbean island is dangerous and armed criminals may use force if they meet resistance.

Montreal travel agent Nora Chamass said she warns her clients that cheap deals
    to the Dominican Republic can be risky.

"I push them really to not go there,"
    Chamass said. "I explain … to be aware what they’re taking or where they’re going."

During the same week a Norwegian tourist was also robbed and beaten to death in the Dominican Republic.

This was from Tuesday:

A second man is in custody and a third suspect is being sought in connection with the killing of a tourist from Quebec City in the Dominican Republic, local officials said Tuesday.

Jean Gagné was shot and killed by intruders in a villa in the resort town of Sosua, east of Puerto Plata on New Year’s Eve.

Also on Tuesday, police in Lévis, Que., confirmed that Gagné, 41, was known to them back in 1997.

Police refused to confirm reports by French-language television network TVA that Gagné had ties to biker gangs.

His friend and travel companion Alexandre Tremblay told the Journal de Montréal that intruders broke into the villa overnight.

Tremblay said he was tied to his bed, and heard gunshots in the next room.

A security guard at the villa was arrested and is alleged to have been involved in what police are calling a robbery plot.

Police said a second man was also arrested and they are seeking a third suspect who has also been identified.

The suspects allegedly made off with $600 and a cellphone.

Gagné was shot in the chest, while the security guard had been shot in the foot.

Two Haitian women who were in the villa at the time were also questioned by police.

Condolence messages also poured in on the website guideauto.com for the former semi-pro stock-car racer who competed in the Supersportsman Challenge in Quebec in the late 90s and early in the last decade.

Canadian foreign affairs officials said they had little information about the case and were waiting for a report from Dominican police. They said they believe the killing was an isolated incident.

Gagné’s body is expected to be returned to Canada by the end of the week.

There is a blurry photo of the Villa on Mondays story:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/0...-republic.html
    These warnings from both Governments are not going to be good for business.
    I hope that business doesn't drop off so much that they start cutting flights. This worries me that if less gringo dollars are coming down the criminal element will get more aggressive.
    Just Doing It

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information