Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Murdered in Sosua

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

Re: Canadian Murdered in Sosua

greed in desperate times......

have to admit the recent runnings in the DR has kind of pointed this guy in the direction of Jamaica for this Spring.......need time to work on mi Espanol for Columbia in the fall

Thanks

Even the names of the victims are different in the two stories.

Puerto Plata digital mentions Jim Card, 42 years old, as the victim, while the Toronto Sun states the victim as Jean Gagne of Quebec City, 42 years old.

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikelodge View Post
    You mean there are all sorts of drugs in the DR

I hope there is no Ecstacy in my Coke unless it is a new Premium Rum by Brugal.

Shit is scary enough there with all the violence can you imagine people looking around like in outer space like in one of those Rave's Videos. What a easy target they would be.

Never understood the attraction when they could get down real nice with some beer, booze and a good smoke and eat a good meal like a human being.
    The thing about Sosua is that you have all kinds there, there are definitely some people looking to take advantage of a tourist who is just looking to have a good time, if you are drinking not just liquor you need to keep an eye on your drink, or you stand a distinct possibility of being drugged, with ruppies or something else, if you get some of that shit in your drink, you can still function, but you will do whatever the person who put it in your drink wants you to do. Including giving them your atm card and password. Word to the wise keep an eye on yo shit.
    Why should I limit myself to only one woman when I can have as many women as I want?
    George Gershwin

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 62,154 Times in 9,135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    greed in desperate times......

have to admit the recent runnings in the DR has kind of pointed this guy in the direction of Jamaica for this Spring.......need time to work on mi Espanol for Columbia in the fall

Brother man, understand this is not just a Dominican shit it can happen anywhere, if you are not aware, including the good ol US of A. Stupidity and not being aware in general is a formula for all kinds of shit occuring. You are not immune in Colombia or Jamaica, you need to understand that, always be aware of your surroundings and take responsibility for it. It does help if you have a wingman watching your back, even though I am not a big proponent of wingmen, in circumstances such as this it can help.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yayow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 33,954 Times in 10,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cosi66 View Post

Puerto Plata digital mentions Jim Card, 42 years old, as the victim, while the Toronto Sun states the victim as Jean Gagne of Quebec City, 42 years old.
    One was his Dominican name, the other was the one was his real one. If something happened to Jimmy, the Dominican press would refer to him as JimmyDr, when we ALL know his real name is Senor Jimmy de Medellin!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,205 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cosi66 View Post

there was two different murders...one in sousa & other in puerto plata...
    Just another monger!!
    BBCode

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Citynights For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Citynights View Post
    ...or maybe Citynights will come along with the correct answer!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gdogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Update?

Ingrid Peritz
    Montreal — From Wednesday's Globe and Mail Published on Tuesday, Jan. 05, 2010 7:20PM EST Last updated on Tuesday, Jan. 05, 2010 7:21PM EST

Police in the Dominican Republic have arrested a security guard and are seeking two other men in the shooting of a Quebec tourist who had been vacationing in the Caribbean sun spot over the New Year.
    Officials say Jean Gagné was overheard arguing with intruders moments before being shot in the chest during a robbery inside the villa he'd been renting with a fellow Quebecker.

The pair had been in separate rooms when intruders burst in at night. The friend was bound, beaten and robbed.
    Moments later, the friend overheard a fracas in the room where Mr. Gagné was staying, he told TVA on Tuesday.
    “If it happened the way it did in my room, they probably pointed the gun directly at his face,” said the man, who asked not to be identified. “I believe he tried to grab the gun because a shot was fired on the wall.
    “Maybe a second or two later … he had the misfortune of getting a second bullet directly in the heart.”

Police have identified the friend accompanying Mr. Gagné as Alexandre Tremblay.
    Television images in the Dominican Republic show the floor of Mr. Gagné's room smeared with blood, a pair of black sandals nearby.
    Police have arrested Santo Martin Espinar, who had been working as a security guard at the privately owned villa, located in a popular tourist destination of Sosua. A second man, identified as Jordan Cesar Heredia Cena, was arrested and released. Two Haitian women at the scene were also questioned and released, police say.
    Prosecutor Jose Martinez Montan said on Tuesday police hope to use Mr. Tremblay's stolen cellphone to locate two other suspects at large.
    Police say the security guard joined forces with the intruders to let them inside the fenced-in villa, which belonged to a Quebecker, the night of Dec. 30-31.

Mr. Gagné reportedly worked in car parts sales, and decided to head to the Dominican Republic for a last-minute holiday. His mother, reached at the family's home in Lévis near Quebec City on Tuesday, declined to comment.
    Police in Lévis says the 41-year-old had been known to them for activities dating to the 1990s. They would not elaborate.
    Canada's Foreign Affairs updated its travel advisory for the Dominican Republic on Dec. 1. The department's website warns that the crime rate in the Caribbean destination has increased.
    “Travellers to the Dominican Republic should exercise a high degree of caution, due to a high crime rate,” it says.
    “While violent crime, including assault, has affected a few foreigners, petty crime, including pick-pocketing, is common in urban areas. Thefts have been reported in resorts. Canadians should exercise caution and be aware of their surroundings, especially after dark.”
    Still, Foreign Affairs says the number of reported Canadian deaths from all causes has been dropping in the Dominican Republic – to 22 last year from 43 in 2007.

The Canadian consulate in Puerto Plata and the Canadian embassy in the capital of Santo Domingo are in contact with local authorities over Mr. Gagné's death. Foreign Affairs is also providing consular assistance to his family in Quebec.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weyland View Post
    The turning to Maranatha is immediately before you reach Sosúa Abajo on the right, coming from the airport. I have always understood it to be a pretty poor barrio. I doubt if there is any "gringo-standard" housing there. I am sure some of our members will have been there?
    Maranata is similar to Charamicos, but less commercial establishments. probably a bit smaller.. The power is out more than half the day and night, probably because everyone is poor. Ive seen a hotel or two but I wouldnt stay there.

Thanks
    Thanked 44,288 Times in 7,548 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    ...or maybe Citynights will come along with the correct answer!
    To Hell with that, how about a picture filled good ole Puta Trip Report !!!!
    The best thing about an ass, is when it is sitting on my face!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

They really arent naming the Villa is but one report says Los Taveras. if you google map of sosua there is an Urb Taveras which is exactly where Hispaniola is.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=map+of...ed=0CA0Q8gEwAA

Thanks

Here is a link to a tv news report
    http://www.cbc.ca/video/news/player....pid=1376979796

This is bad news for the DR. I just got back yesterday and although there were more tourists from when I was there in September it didnt seem to compare with past years at the same time.

From talking with the locals that rely on the tourist they have suffered with the recession and were really counting on and looking forward to it being busy in January through April when the Canadians and Europeans come down.

With this being on the news in Canada definitely people will be looking at other destinations. While most of the people changing the destination may be the AI tourists they're still pumping money into the economy. A lot of them staying in Playa Dorado, Casa Marina, or Sosua Bay will still spend the day at Sosua beach or be eating in the local restaurants and are probably the only ones who buy the souvenirs from the 1000 shops on the beach.

Hopefully this doesnt lead to an increase in crime from people that normally wouldnt lead that life but our forced into it to feed the family.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkg2006 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,597 Times in 967 Posts

I repeat, that this story is very odd, it did NOT happen at any resort, it was some private residence probably with a guard close by in the barrio of Maranatha. Nothing like that ever happend at any horel or resort with regular security service at Sosua/El Batey, so of course we as business owners in Sosua are very concerned about the way the news article is published with no research about the circumstances of this terrible crime whatsoever. Pls everybody as long as you stay in a regular hotel, do not mix with the low ass dominican wanna be players to buy drugs or hookers from them you are SAVE !!!!!!
    best regards,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by tkg2006 View Post

This is bad news for the DR. I just got back yesterday and although there were more tourists from when I was there in September it didnt seem to compare with past years at the same time.

From talking with the locals that rely on the tourist they have suffered with the recession and were really counting on and looking forward to it being busy in January through April when the Canadians and Europeans come down.

With this being on the news in Canada definitely people will be looking at other destinations. While most of the people changing the destination may be the AI tourists they're still pumping money into the economy. A lot of them staying in Playa Dorado, Casa Marina, or Sosua Bay will still spend the day at Sosua beach or be eating in the local restaurants and are probably the only ones who buy the souvenirs from the 1000 shops on the beach.

Hopefully this doesnt lead to an increase in crime from people that normally wouldnt lead that life but our forced into it to feed the family.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jensenspecial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,676 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Citynights View Post
    According to a post on DR1 they said the News said there was 140 some Murders by December and many of them involved Haitians. Don't know what that means but you can read it for yourself.

2 separate tourists killed in the same week or so damn I hope that brings Whore prices down from the 1000 peso street average some say is out there for ST.
    Just Doing It

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tkg2006 View Post

Nice Photo in your avatar of:

Luca Brazzi sleeps with the fishes. Danger Danger Will Robinson
    Last edited by mikelodge; 01-06-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yayow View Post
    The thing about Sosua is that you have all kinds there, there are definitely some people looking to take advantage of a tourist who is just looking to have a good time, if you are drinking not just liquor you need to keep an eye on your drink, or you stand a distinct possibility of being drugged, with ruppies or something else, if you get some of that shit in your drink, you can still function, but you will do whatever the person who put it in your drink wants you to do. Including giving them your atm card and password. Word to the wise keep an eye on yo shit.
    This was true decades ago when they called it Slipping Someone a Mickey when it was probably only Chloralhydrate now we have to watch out for Rohypenal / GHB / ruffies and who knows what else. Damn scary with all the kidnappings and murders.

I watch them make my drink if I don't know the place well.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,842 Times in 8,288 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    “... they probably pointed the gun directly at his face. I believe he tried to grab the gun because a shot was fired on the wall."
    This is where he made his mistake.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 49,149 Times in 7,404 Posts

deadly mistake........

give dem da money and cards mon.......not worth loosing ones life over it

27. The Following User Says Thank You to SeaWeed For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    deadly mistake........

give dem da money and cards mon.......not worth loosing ones life over it
    I looked over at DR1 again and it is still posted there so it must be true since noone is denying it. They state that DR News said on Jan. 1 that for December there were 140 murders in the DR. Damn that is almost 5 per day.

Thanks

The story is still changing every day but it seems they arrested a second guy on Monday if they didnt already say this. there is a link to the story with a pic of the Villa at the bottom.

This was posted Monday on CBC News:

A Quebec City man killed while on vacation in the Dominican Republic was the victim of a robbery plot involving a security guard, local police said Monday.

Jean Gagné, 41, was vacationing with a friend in a private villa in the town of Sosua, east of Puerto Plata, when he was shot on New Year’s Eve.

Gagné’s friend, Alexandre Tremblay, told the French-language television network TVA that they were attacked in the middle of the night by two men.

Tremblay said he was bound, tied to his bed and robbed. Then, he said, he heard gunshots in the next room.

Gagné had been shot in the heart, while a private security guard was shot in the leg.

A Dominican television news report shows blood smeared and spattered on the floor of the villa.

The security guard was arrested, as well as two Haitian women who were with Gagné and Tremblay, said Col. Nelson Eddy Araujo of Dominican National Police.

The guard was involved in a plot to rob the pair and was promised a share of the take if he let the robbers in, Araujo said.

Araujo denied local media reports that the security guard shot Gagné before shooting himself in the leg to cover his tracks. He said another man pulled the trigger and police are still trying to track him down.

Araujo would not confirm reports the two women were prostitutes.

One witness said one of the women left the door to the villa open.

Canada's Foreign Affairs Department said consular officials on the island country are gathering details from local authorities.

The Foreign Affairs website warns travellers that the crime rate has increased in the Dominican Republic and that precautions should be taken. The U.S. State Department also warns the Caribbean island is dangerous and armed criminals may use force if they meet resistance.

Montreal travel agent Nora Chamass said she warns her clients that cheap deals to the Dominican Republic can be risky.

"I push them really to not go there," Chamass said. "I explain … to be aware what they’re taking or where they’re going."

During the same week a Norwegian tourist was also robbed and beaten to death in the Dominican Republic.

This was from Tuesday:

A second man is in custody and a third suspect is being sought in connection with the killing of a tourist from Quebec City in the Dominican Republic, local officials said Tuesday.

Jean Gagné was shot and killed by intruders in a villa in the resort town of Sosua, east of Puerto Plata on New Year’s Eve.

Also on Tuesday, police in Lévis, Que., confirmed that Gagné, 41, was known to them back in 1997.

Police refused to confirm reports by French-language television network TVA that Gagné had ties to biker gangs.

His friend and travel companion Alexandre Tremblay told the Journal de Montréal that intruders broke into the villa overnight.

Tremblay said he was tied to his bed, and heard gunshots in the next room.

A security guard at the villa was arrested and is alleged to have been involved in what police are calling a robbery plot.

Police said a second man was also arrested and they are seeking a third suspect who has also been identified.

The suspects allegedly made off with $600 and a cellphone.

Gagné was shot in the chest, while the security guard had been shot in the foot.

Two Haitian women who were in the villa at the time were also questioned by police.

Condolence messages also poured in on the website guideauto.com for the former semi-pro stock-car racer who competed in the Supersportsman Challenge in Quebec in the late 90s and early in the last decade.

Canadian foreign affairs officials said they had little information about the case and were waiting for a report from Dominican police. They said they believe the killing was an isolated incident.

Gagné’s body is expected to be returned to Canada by the end of the week.

There is a blurry photo of the Villa on Mondays story:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/0...-republic.html

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swiggy For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information